User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacement Brake Discs At 48K?

Default Replacement Brake Discs At 48K?

Hi Everyone!

I've had my car for just over 3 yrs now. 48k on the clock. (still under warranty).

Never tracked, rarely driven hard. Still on first set of pads.

I've been told i need new pads, fair enough....but that my discs have developed a lip and need replacing

Quoted over $1200 with mazda replacement and half the price for DBA/Remsa (aftermarket).

Is this premature wear?

How long should the discs last on a MPS?

The service advisor seems to think its normal. Said a few MPS's do the same thing, so its common occurrence....?

Is this true? Or am i being taken for a expensive ride?
    Mazda 3 MPS Gen II Emo Club | TEIN Street Advance CoilOvers | SPC Rear Camber Arms | DBA T3 Front Slotted Rotors | Remsa Front Pads | SURE 621g AGS Shift Knob | JBR 70A Rear Engine Mount | Autotech HPFP Internals | COBB AP Stage 1 | Turbosmart Kompact BPV | CorkSport SRI/TIP

Sounds like you need a second opinion. Unusual to have that happening that quickly unless you do a lot of hard braking.

When I sold my 2008 MPS, I had done a few track days and cruises and at 59,000k's my original brake pads and discs were still in good order? Buy aftermarket rotors and pads if your going to replace.

Default Replacement Brake Discs At 48K?

Quote Originally Posted by SP23HO View Post
    Hi Everyone!

I've had my car for just over 3 yrs now. 48k on the clock. (still under warranty).

Never tracked, rarely driven hard. Still on first set of pads.

I've been told i need new pads, fair enough....but that my discs have developed a lip and need replacing

Quoted over $1200 with mazda replacement and half the price for DBA/Remsa (aftermarket).

Is this premature wear?

How long should the discs last on a MPS?

The service advisor seems to think its normal. Said a few MPS's do the same thing, so its common occurrence....?

Is this true? Or am i being taken for a expensive ride?
    This is true.
    The MPS disc has a low tolerance and cannot be machined as it will bring them below the safe tolerance. They do develop a lip

I was quoted the same thing at 60,000kms and went DBAs all round with Remsa pads and braided brake lines and installed for less than what I was quoted by Mazda

Replacement Discs and Pads
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/showpost.php?p=237779

Peter "SLIXX"

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

Sounds like a "short life" for the brakes ??
    I havent got an MPS but ive had my 3 out for track days and pushed it abit
    Upto 120 000k's and still on the original set.

Got a Gen 2 with almost 50k, just over 3yrs old and have normal wear on my original discs, so no problems.

Car hasn't been tracked, done a few cruises etc though.

Sent from my SGS3 4G

So the majority also seem to think its early wear : /

I haven't really gone on many cruises, just one that i can think of and i didn't even drive hard at that point.

I got the mazda rep to put in a claim and see if mazda HQ will decline it.

He said because my car is 3 yrs old its likely to be declined, he wasn't going to bother at first.

But in the worse case scenario i will get DBA & Remsa all round.

Mazda will decline it, they decline most things, even with 100% proof its their fault.
    Their are too many variables to say if its normal or not.
    I got over 90,000km from my discs, still had a little bit of life left, pads had plenty.
    But most of my driving was country roads, very little use of the brakes.

They will just claim driving style, conditions, anything they can to get out of it

Definitely seems like a short life for a car that has had no track work. My car has spent the majority of its life in traffic and I only did one mild track day on the Mazda familiarization day and I changed all my front brakes, discs and pads, at 69,000km, as per my signature. Pads were down to safe minimum and discs had a lip of 0.5-1mm and definmitely needed replacement. I'd get a second opinion. Mike the discs and look it up or call Mazda Service. I did the entire brake parts replacement by buying the gear from MPS Garage, and paying Mazda to install it which cost a mere $140. Good value I thought, and at least it got done right, better than grovelling on your garage floor taking it all to bits. Total cost was less than $800 approx. But I doubt there is component of your wear that you can claim on if it is all original kit. Good luck!
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 04-06-2013 at 05:50 PM.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Yeh, i don't like my chances either.

Just sux to have to change my first set of pads along with my discs.

Still have my fingers crossed.

Found out though they only quoted the front pads and discs. (OEM & Aftermarket)

Is it safe running two different types of pads and discs on the front and back?

I'm running DBA T3s on the front and DBA T2s on the back. Remsa's all round

Got em all for cheaper than the 2 Mazda OEM front discs

Peter "SLIXX"

Quote Originally Posted by slixx View Post
    I'm running DBA T3s on the front and DBA T2s on the back. Remsa's all round

Got em all for cheaper than the 2 Mazda OEM front discs

Peter "SLIXX"
    Worth it?

Mind sharing price and source?

Thanks
    Mazda 3 MPS Gen II Emo Club | TEIN Street Advance CoilOvers | SPC Rear Camber Arms | DBA T3 Front Slotted Rotors | Remsa Front Pads | SURE 621g AGS Shift Knob | JBR 70A Rear Engine Mount | Autotech HPFP Internals | COBB AP Stage 1 | Turbosmart Kompact BPV | CorkSport SRI/TIP

Quote Originally Posted by SP23HO View Post
    Worth it?

Mind sharing price and source?

Thanks
    GSLRallySport. They are a forum sponsor
    I put the link up a few posts below

Peter "SLIXX"

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

Quote Originally Posted by slixx View Post
    GSLRallySport. They are a forum sponsor
    I put the link up a few posts below

Peter "SLIXX"
    Oh ok, Already Pm'd for a quote. Got my TEINs from them a little while ago.

My 6 has just under 90,000 and my front disks need replacing In the neat future

probably just get t3s when the time comes

16. Default

I've just clicked over 106k on my 3MPS, still on original discs... Serviced regularly, driven rather mundane most days but have been do a few days of heavy brake usage... never been indicated that they need replacing. On my 2nd set of pads though.

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbstar View Post
    My 6 has just under 90,000 and my front disks need replacing In the neat future

probably just get t3s when the time comes
    Edge just put up a package with discs,pads and braided lines for $600 all 4. Sounds like a good price

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Teeth View Post
    I've just clicked over 106k on my 3MPS, still on original discs... Serviced regularly, driven rather mundane most days but have been do a few days of heavy brake usage... never been indicated that they need replacing. On my 2nd set of pads though.
    That sounds normal to me.....first time my discs have worn so badly....and i'm easy on the brakes : /

I think i'm just stuffed regardless

No real problem using different pads or discs F&R. Just don't mix them on the same axle or you might finish up in a ditch or facing the way you came!!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_MPS6 View Post
    No real problem using different pads or discs F&R. Just don't mix them on the same axle or you might finish up in a ditch or facing the way you came!!
    Thanks for clearing that up. Was afraid the ABS might go on the frits or something lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast