User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is this intake noise?

Default What is this intake noise?

Have just installed a SRI and TIP. Seems to run excellent, can definitely notice more power, more than even I was expecting to feel but I have this noise.. Its like a beep that last's a second or two.. Comes from engine bay, not inside car.

Here is youtube link to video taken on iPhone this morning. Please turn volume up. Any and all ideas, opinions appreciated!! MPS3 Gen 1 - SRI & TIP - YouTube

Cheers

Possibly a leak or maybe touching against something

How could a leak make that noise though?...

Sent from my LG-P880 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by GibbA View Post
    How could a leak make that noise though?...

No idea, if it was a leak you would think it would do it on constant WOT, leak is usually a squeal noise
    '05 6 MPS | BNR S3 | JBR 3.5" Intake | Corksport Airbox | CP-E 3.25" TMIC | M2 DP | CP-E CBE | CP-E/TT Diff Mounts | Autotech HPFP Internals | JBR REM, PMM, TMM | SURE Shortcut | SURE Countershift | SURE Anchors | Denso ITV22s | JBR TIGs | EGR Delete | Coolant Bypass | PTP Inj Seals | MD OCC | H&R Springs | Bilstein B8 Shocks | Car-LED Tails | Badgeless Grille | 6000k HIDs | OZ Ultraleggera 18x8 +48

For some reason it reminds me of forge bpv... could it e something to do with that?

what do you mean with WOT? Wide open throttle?? It does seem like a leak but it only last a second and only with foot flat. I was thinking after reading things possibly over boost or even the standard blow off valve leaking?? I have checked all clamps, hose's everything and all seems fine.
    Thanks for looking guys!

Quote Originally Posted by GibbA View Post
    For some reason it reminds me of forge bpv... could it e something to do with that?

it has standard bov/bpv whatever it is, still installed. I am starting to think leaking BOV/BPV??

My stock bpv was leaking and it never made that kind of noise, it would have to be leaking pretty badly

Best bet is get your car on a dyno with the bonnet up and do a couple of wot runs and trace the noise. It'll cost money I know but worth it to get rid of thar noise if you ask me!

10. Default

I was going to suggest making sure everything is tight, if its a metal tip then that could possibly be moving as you get on the turbo

11. Default

Have you tried going flat throttle in 4th to see if it does it non stop.
    Mine makes a similar noise in 4th at WOT it's there all the time which i am thinking possible leak as there is stuttering through out 4th when WOT, i went and tried to retighten everythingtoday and ended up breaking the screw in small brass niple on the TIP when trying to tighten a small hose clamp up. So the stock intake is back on for now.

You guys need to do a boost leak test

Quote Originally Posted by shaneski View Post
    Have you tried going flat throttle in 4th to see if it does it non stop.
    Mine makes a similar noise in 4th at WOT it's there all the time which i am thinking possible leak as there is stuttering through out 4th when WOT, i went and tried to retighten everythingtoday and ended up breaking the screw in small brass niple on the TIP when trying to tighten a small hose clamp up. So the stock intake is back on for now.
    Nah same in 4th. Just took on freeway.. Does it for a second round 4000rpm every gear all way up to 6th. No stutter nothing goes really well lol loves the air and being on freeway!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    Yeh dam it seeming that way. Gotta buy a boost gauge now

14. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    Sorry if i am thread hijacking. Tunehouse did one and said all good and runs fine on the dyno, on road it stutters in 4th and feels shit, 2nd and 3rd feel fine and doesn't make a squeal sound, when i pulled the MAF out today the o ring had a piece of it broken off around 5mm and fell out when i pulled it from the housing(maybe that is the cause of the problem) every other hose clamp etc was seated and tight as, i put the stock intake back on only started it and drove if for a couple of Kays lightly to make sure it will get me to work will do the normal ECU relearn before i hammer it to see how it acts (it was Ecuteck tuned with corksport intake) .
    Waiting for corksport to get back to me for a replacement brass nipple, thinkin i may go 3 inch intake anyway. I have also changed the BPV to a turbo smart kompact still stuttered, then changed to one step colder NGKS still stuttered.
    MPS Gen 2 2012 - i think i have Ebola

You have an intake leak, classic whistle from a loose or misaligned worm clamp

As ray said, check the whole system for leaks. You need an air compressor and a boost leak tester, I think the best way to do it is from intake back so you can check for all pre turbo leaks (even though these aren't boost leaks). Attach the tester to the end of the intake, block the recirc hose from the bpv so you can test this as well, and block the hose going to the crankcase.

17. Default

Thanks Rayd and Dazza, i have to wait until i can get the brass nipple replacement for the corksport TIP, I gave it a 4th gear pull with the stock intake last night, it didnt whistle(maybe cause it's all plastic) but stil had hesitation but not as bad. I am stil thinkin it may be something with the o ring on the maf sensor as around 5mm of it has broken off.

Another question I took it to tunehouse who has done al the tuning on it a few weeks back because of the hesitation for them to fix it, they said it was all fine on the dyno and fixed, can they apply more load to the dyno to replicate it being on the road? Because on road it doesn't feel anywhere near the 210kw in 4th, feels less than the sp23 i traded in so am a bit peeved about the money being spent for dyno time and then driving it and still no better.
    MPS Gen 2 2012 - i think i have Ebola

18. Default

Thanks Rayd and Dazza, i have to wait until i can get the brass nipple replacement for the corksport TIP, I gave it a 4th gear pull with the stock intake last night, it didnt whistle(maybe cause it's all plastic) but stil had hesitation but not as bad. I am stil thinkin it may be something with the o ring on the maf sensor as around 5mm of it has broken off.

Another question I took it to tunehouse who has done al the tuning on it a few weeks back because of the hesitation for them to fix it, they said it was all fine on the dyno and fixed, can they apply more load to the dyno to replicate it being on the road? Because on road it doesn't feel anywhere near the 210kw in 4th, feels less than the sp23 i traded in so am a bit peeved about the money being spent for dyno time and then driving it and still no better.
    I just installed a cs intake and box but i didn't get that noise your experiencing and as far as the o ring is concerned, mine was all broken to shit so I threw it out and waiting for replacement - might try mazda dealer. Anyway I do get hesitation but I've always had it so nothing unusual to me

It's for this reason why road tuning is king, nothing simulates the road like road !!

Dyno is very useful however to find MBT but that only becomes an issue when you run e85 + meth and knock might hide , but generally the MZR will become knock limited well before MBT is reached!

Well back to my issue, maybe it will help.. My problem/noise something to do with the clamps holding TIP to Turbo housing. Adjusted slightly last night and sound got worse. Still has lots of power and no hesitations anywhere. The thing is ripping my new pirellis to shreds lol
    Going to remove all tonight and re-install, I was positive it was BPV leaking or hose associated leaking but couldn't find anything wrong with those hoses or clamps.

Can you get better clamps for the turbo to inlet area than those screw type clamps? I don't have faith in them.. Pretty sure they just not tight enough. If noise still there after all this only possible outcome is BPV is leaking slightly as it builds boost.

Thanks for responses to my issues..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast