User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is this intake noise?

1. Default

Rob777.. do you have any clamps or zip ties on the tube that goes from the intake to the boost solenoid, don't try using a screw on hose clamp i tried one on mine and it snapped the brass nipple off the intake side,
    I'm not sure which way the airflow travels through that tube, is it more a vacum or does it build boost in it.. anyone? Corksport don't supply any clamps for that hose in their intake kit.
    I had to put the stock intake back on and used the corksport tube it still stuttered, i put zip ties on each end and the stutter is all but gone. I know yours isn't stuttering but it may be making a whistle if it aint clamped
    MPS Gen 2 2012 - i think i have Ebola

Quote Originally Posted by shaneski View Post
    Rob777.. do you have any clamps or zip ties on the tube that goes from the intake to the boost solenoid, don't try using a screw on hose clamp i tried one on mine and it snapped the brass nipple off the intake side,
    I'm not sure which way the airflow travels through that tube, is it more a vacum or does it build boost in it.. anyone? Corksport don't supply any clamps for that hose in their intake kit.
    I had to put the stock intake back on and used the corksport tube it still stuttered, i put zip ties on each end and the stutter is all but gone. I know yours isn't stuttering but it may be making a whistle if it aint clamped
    Thanks dude all vacuum hoses at the moment are held on with those spring type clamps.. Going to change to cable ties tonight and try that cigarette leak test as well. Found a compressor for the weekend to if I can't fix tonight. Hopefully get this sorted by the weekend.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Rob777 View Post
    Thanks dude all vacuum hoses at the moment are held on with those spring type clamps.. Going to change to cable ties tonight and try that cigarette leak test as well. Found a compressor for the weekend to if I can't fix tonight. Hopefully get this sorted by the weekend.
    leave the big hoses with the spring cclamps, i mean the small hose that goes from the intake .

Made my own boost leak tester today, picture below. Even put soapy water over everything, did it with GF's dad as he mechanic and more knowledgable that I. We cannot find a leak anywhere. We replaced all clamps to those t-type clamps, changed all vacuum hoses, the re circulation BPV hose. Everything.
    Guess what NOISE STILL THERE. Same time, duration, volume everything. Losing my shit.

Only thing not changed is the solenoid. We know believe it is this, my GF's dad thinks its an electronic noise but I'm not convinced but what the hell do I know.

Doesn't affect performance so probably just gonna forget about it.

Made my own boost leak tester today, picture below. Even put soapy water over everything, did it with GF's dad as he mechanic and more knowledgable that I. We cannot find a leak anywhere. We replaced all clamps to those t-type clamps, changed all vacuum hoses, the re circulation BPV hose. Everything.
    Guess what NOISE STILL THERE. Same time, duration, volume everything. Losing my shit.

Only thing not changed is the solenoid. We know believe it is this, my GF's dad thinks its an electronic noise but I'm not convinced but what the hell do I know.

Doesn't affect performance so probably just gonna forget about it.

That looks like you made it to sit at the turbo compressor.
    If so you need to pressurise the whole intake aswell from the pod filter and MAF to the turbo aswell.
    I believe the leak is between the filter and the compressor of the turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by rayd View Post
    That looks like you made it to sit at the turbo compressor.
    If so you need to pressurise the whole intake aswell from the pod filter and MAF to the turbo aswell.
    I believe the leak is between the filter and the compressor of the turbo.
    Nah I took pod filter off and put on the end of the 2xs MAF. That would work wouldn't it?

Nah I took pod filter off and put on the end of the 2xs MAF. That would work wouldn't it?
    Ye it would, and how high did you pressurise it? 15Psi? How were you monitoring the pressure inside the pipes?

Ye it would, and how high did you pressurise it? 15Psi? How were you monitoring the pressure inside the pipes?
    Went to 18psi. Had a regulator on the compressor and also fitted a valve to vaccuum line off solenoid to waste gate and had a another gauge there when we weren't 100%
    Thanks for listening dude!

and when you swap back to stock intake the noise disappears??

and when you swap back to stock intake the noise disappears??
    Yep I put stock TIP back on noise is gone but so is the majority of noise. It may still be there but hidden now I was thinking.
    Weird thing is in every other situation of having a boost leak I can find on forums, in any type of car is hesitations, lack of boost/power, CEL codes but I get none of this and car goes extremely well.

Yep I put stock TIP back on noise is gone but so is the majority of noise. It may still be there but hidden now I was thinking.
    Weird thing is in every other situation of having a boost leak I can find on forums, in any type of car is hesitations, lack of boost/power, CEL codes but I get none of this and car goes extremely well.
    Exactly, your symptoms are classic for a tiny intake leak.
    But your sure there were not, so I'm just going to wish you luck in the rest of the diagnosis! I'm out of ideas

Lol no probs dude. I'm bout ready to kick in the towel too! Or buy a new TIP and Solenoid lol.

Lol no probs dude. I'm bout ready to kick in the towel too! Or buy a new TIP and Solenoid lol.
    Im selling my old solenoid and intake lol

Lol what sort of intake is it?

15. Default

I feel Robs pain but yours is different yours just doe sit when u first boot it and goes away, mine doesn't go away and not quite as loud i put my C/S intake back on and it makes the high pitched noise so it is definately intake noise didn't do it with the stock set up, i have also replaced every clamp and reseated them over and over, i have a boost leak tester with a gauge but no air compressor..may have to try using a foot pump thing to get it to pressure. I'm thinking it may be a tiny crack in one of the welds on the tip that the vacumn or recirc hose attaches to.

if the JBR intake eventualy arrives i wil know for sure when that's on.
    Last edited by shaneski; 24-06-2013 at 08:05 PM.

The bloody coupler!!!!!!!!!!!! Haven't changed that yet. Has to be!!!! flat battery this morning need new battery as well 87000ks on original. NRMA guy reckons its the coupler after I told him story. Can't believe I didn't change or even think about it.

Yep coupler, noise gone. Finally. $80 later.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123