User Tag List

Thread: Timing chain

Default Timing chain

i am about to possibly purchase a 6 mps in two days, however reading alot of reports of timing chain issues, is this a common occurance in the 6's

the car is 100,000km and has never missed a service, if i maintain this car correctly is it believed i should not run into the timing chain issue?

You can't tell unless the car is already making ticking noises. Have a listen to it parked and then when you drive the car make sure it gets right up to temperature (you know what to do :P) then get out and have a listen if there's any ticking or cluncking then it's already on its way. A good way to tell is drive on to the freeway but make sure it's got the walls on both sides, let it ride at 2000rpm (window down) and should be able to hear some rattling. Hope this helps

alright thanks mate, hopefully its all good

Good luck mate

Once the car has warmed up, park and turn off. Take the oil cap off and check the tension of the chain, give it a slight tug, if its loose the tensioner is probably loose

That too. But if it's loose enough to feel with your finger (make sure it's cold if you get time to do it), then you'll hear it for sure can't miss a ticking/knocking noise the engine should be quiet AF