User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dan's Garage - 2010 Nissan R35 GTR - Grey

Default Dan's Garage - 2010 Nissan R35 GTR - Grey

This one was an interesting one, and not just because of the type of car

Caution. This thread is pic-heavy.

This GTR came to me after the owner had it detailed and a permanent coating applied by another detailer back in early Feb. This detailer shall remain nameless as

naming and shaming is not what this thread is about

The car looked quite presentable on the surface. There were a few issues with this however that the owner was unhappy about. Understandably unhappy as you'll see,

when you consider he paid very good money to have the initial detail done.

One of the issues that the owner wanted addressed in the previous detail was the amount of wax residue there was in and around the car. He had requested that this

be thoroughly cleaned up. As the pics show, there was still a lot of residue that was missed/overlooked. These shots were taken prior to any

washing/decontamination. Literally as the car was delivered. It had not been waxed since the previous coating had been applied, so any residue on the car was what

the previous detailer missed

Wax residue on the plastics also

Very nice aftermarket 20" HRE wheels. These suit the car really well IMO

Looking even better after an APC soak and wash

Foam Wash

And walk around with the brush to try to loosen up some of the wax residue as well as give a general clean around the more intricate areas of the car

Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Once washed and dried it was brought in under the lights for inspection. I had already had a chance to view the car a couple of weeks prior, so I knew what to

expect, but here are the pics. Bear in mind that this car has had a permanent coating put onto it over the top of what is in these pics.

Most of this is very light damage, light enough that it was quite difficult to capture on camera, but still should have been corrected out prior to the coating

going down.

+

The mirrors, which are body colour as standard on the GTRs were repainted gloss black by the owner. These however had not been corrected at all by the

detailer prior to the coating being applied

Post-correction

The gloss black A pillars were also not corrected prior to coating

50/50 A pillar

Now properly corrected

More wax residue. I estimate approx six hrs was spent just removing wax residue that had been missed

\

After

Before. A small amount in the gap between panel and plastic vent. Also around the GTR badge:

After

Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

More light swirling, this time on the bonnet

More wax

Before

During

After

Also caught in the tow-hook panel

Before

During

After

Other correction shots

Before

After

The boot lid also had a fair bit of swirling which hadn't been picked up

Post correction. Some involving hand-polishing under the spoiler

The rear of the boot lid also had some marring

Before

After

More wax residue

Before

After

Scraping out more from gaps

After

and more

and yet more

Before

After

Driver's side A pillar before

After

Driver's side mirror before

After 1st stage polish to remove scratches swirls

After 2nd stage polish to refine (light hazing still apparent)

After 3rd stage polish to fully refine. Finished result

More wax on the underside of the rear spoiler

Before

After

Plastics restored. These were overlooked in the previous detail also

Before

After

Some post correction and cleaned up wax shots. This is as it should have been done the first time

\

Post Opti-Coat pics

A few final outdoor shots. The light was fading, however the owner was having some photos taken the following day and will be sending them to me. So more to come

Total Time = approx 24hrs

Thanks for looking

You make me feel quite inadequate :P.. Fantastic job as always, are you taking more and more pics? lol

Wow! Some review and very interesting!

I feel inadequate, suddenly. I know any amount of work can go into a full detail. I'd like to get mine done but there is no where in Perth I know of that is trustworthy. My car is kept in a carport but not in a garage and the daily commute takes its toll as Perth is very windy and dusty with building and road-works everywhere.

What can one expect to pay for a half-decent detail these days?

This is one of my favourite cars in my favourite colour, BTW. I'd own one if I had the spare readies. Pity this dopey country has just stupid speed limits and driving disincentives. In Argentina I can drive at 160kmh in the appropriate conditions on freeways and no one bats an eyelid. Maybe that is how come the country gave rise to great drivers like Juan Fangio.

Good job!! It looks great in the final photos.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

On phone so haven't looked at all pics yet, but sounds like you had to spend a heap of extra time on this car cause of a less than ideal first attempt

Looks like word of mouth is spreading for you nicely
    How many forums do you post this stuff on?
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Looks crazy! Always disappoints me when such a nice car is neglected by a prior detail, really gotta be careful where you go these days!
    Expect to see more cars from me in the future lol
    Last edited by dazza; 23-05-2013 at 02:42 PM.

Great job as always, and those wheels set it off!

Thanks Guys

Quote Originally Posted by RedDjinn View Post
    You make me feel quite inadequate :P.. Fantastic job as always, are you taking more and more pics? lol
    Luke. Don't mean to make anyone feel inadequate . I took a lot of pics on this one because the owner wanted it very well documented.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_MPS6 View Post
    Wow! Some review and very interesting!

I feel inadequate, suddenly. I know any amount of work can go into a full detail. I'd like to get mine done but there is no where in Perth I know of that is trustworthy. My car is kept in a carport but not in a garage and the daily commute takes its toll as Perth is very windy and dusty with building and road-works everywhere.

What can one expect to pay for a half-decent detail these days?

This is one of my favourite cars in my favourite colour, BTW. I'd own one if I had the spare readies. Pity this dopey country has just stupid speed limits and driving disincentives. In Argentina I can drive at 160kmh in the appropriate conditions on freeways and no one bats an eyelid. Maybe that is how come the country gave rise to great drivers like Juan Fangio.

Good job!! It looks great in the final photos.

See above response re feeling of inadequacy Doug hahah. Re a decent detail, expect to pay $600+. For a coating like Opticoat sometimes this is additional on top of that depending on the detailer and how much work is involved etc. Generally speaking anywhere between $600 and $1000 is not out of the realm of possibility with work like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    On phone so haven't looked at all pics yet, but sounds like you had to spend a heap of extra time on this car cause of a less than ideal first attempt

Looks like word of mouth is spreading for you nicely
    How many forums do you post this stuff on?
    Thanks Sam. Not many. Just here and on Detail Paradise. I also put it up on my FB page of course

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    Looks crazy! Always disappoints me when such a nice car is neglected by a prior detail, really gotta be careful where you go these days!
    Expect to see more cars from me in the future lol

Cheers Daz . Yes the owner knew about the wax residue and was already unhappy about that not being removed, but I think the straw the broke the camel's back was when he saw the paint marring under some carpark metal halide lights. It was at that point he contacted me to come by to get it assessed a few weeks ago. At which time we spent a good 45mins going over the car under my halides and confirming that the marring existed. Interestingly, while it was easy to see under metal halide, this marring did not show up under LED at all, and only showed up under fluoro on very acute angles (ie looking side on at the area almost with your head on the panel). This is why a variety of lighting is required in order to get the best results.

Here are some pics taken by the owner just after pickup and yesterday

Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 23-05-2013 at 04:01 PM.

So was the car Opti-coated? Or was it an inferior product?

Peter "SLIXX"

Quote Originally Posted by slixx View Post
    So was the car Opti-coated? Or was it an inferior product?

Peter "SLIXX"
    Previously? No, not Opti-Coat.

In its defense, it wasn't the coating, it was the application and the lack of attention to detail in the prep and correction that let this down.

This is why it's so important to get these things right, especially when you're playing around with long-term, or permanent coatings. Once they're applied, whatever is under them is there for good.

man, your detailing is INTENSE!
    love it! and +1 to the wheels! any chance you can get more specs?? love them!

15. Default

Dan, you put the Detail in Detailer, in awe of your work mate.

Now, I have lots of wax residue on my car (self inflicted)... Whats that little orange tool you used? looks really neat.

Actually, i play guitar, maybe a pick/plectrum might be okay?

epic work!

man you would put some sydney people to shame!

Top job Dan. Very disappointed in that first attempt by whomever "detailed" it.

Bet the owner was stoked with the end result, even if they were more out of pocket. Hope the previous attempt is refunding money for a less than stellar outcome.

Thanks lads

Quote Originally Posted by rayd View Post
    man, your detailing is INTENSE!
    love it! and +1 to the wheels! any chance you can get more specs?? love them!
    Pretty sure they're HRE P40SC wheels. One piece forged.

P40SC | HRE Performance Wheels | Luxury Street Motorsport

I know they're also very expensive. They're mentioned in the same sentence as brands like ADV and sold as a luxury brand

Quote Originally Posted by allo80 View Post
    Dan, you put the Detail in Detailer, in awe of your work mate.

Now, I have lots of wax residue on my car (self inflicted)... Whats that little orange tool you used? looks really neat.

Actually, i play guitar, maybe a pick/plectrum might be okay?
    A plectrum would work pretty well I''d say. I use plastic razor blades but it's the same principal

Quote Originally Posted by LittleredMPS View Post
    Top job Dan. Very disappointed in that first attempt by whomever "detailed" it.

Bet the owner was stoked with the end result, even if they were more out of pocket. Hope the previous attempt is refunding money for a less than stellar outcome.
    I think he's just going to drop it. Doesn't want to have to deal with the previous detailer anymore. He's done his dash I'd say. That's just speculation though. I don't know what his plans are and it's none of my business.

He was rapt with the job I did. In the owner's own words when he viewed the photos I took of the documentation I did "I guess the proof is in the pudding, hard to argue the evidence."

It's a shame that such shoddy work was done on the GTR in the first place. Especially considering the car, how much he paid for the detail, and also just how nice the owner is. Seriously he is such a nice guy. All he wanted was the best result for his car. With all of this, and also taking into account my previous knowledge of this detailer's shoddy practices, I'm not in the least bit sorry this has come to light.
    Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 24-05-2013 at 08:58 AM.

Amazing, just amazing... I am so angry at the inadequacy and incompetence, the owner (and you) is a much better man than I, he would be named and shamed on every platform and social network if I had let someone touch my GTR and they left the residue he did without fixing it up... but completely beside myself at the finish of the end result! There is a fair bit of depth on that colour!

Well done sir!

Ps: total time?

Quote Originally Posted by 99GTT View Post
    Amazing, just amazing... I am so angry at the inadequacy and incompetence, the owner (and you) is a much better man than I, he would be named and shamed on every platform and social network if I had let someone touch my GTR and they left the residue he did without fixing it up... but completely beside myself at the finish of the end result! There is a fair bit of depth on that colour!

Well done sir!

Ps: total time?
    First post I believe says about 24hrs! A fair effort indeed
    '05 6 MPS | BNR S3 | JBR 3.5" Intake | Corksport Airbox | CP-E 3.25" TMIC | M2 DP | CP-E CBE | CP-E/TT Diff Mounts | Autotech HPFP Internals | JBR REM, PMM, TMM | SURE Shortcut | SURE Countershift | SURE Anchors | Denso ITV22s | JBR TIGs | EGR Delete | Coolant Bypass | PTP Inj Seals | MD OCC | H&R Springs | Bilstein B8 Shocks | Car-LED Tails | Badgeless Grille | 6000k HIDs | OZ Ultraleggera 18x8 +48

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast