User Tag List

Thread: Brass shift fork pads

Default Brass shift fork pads

I am throwing this out there on behalf of a new vendor on MSF called SPEEDPERF6RMANC3 (SP63)

To give you a bit of background, this new vendor comprises (If you are familiar with MSF) Pablo (Mazda Master Technician and MSF engine guru), Roc (Mazda Master Technician), and superskaterxes (MSF mod and 500whp MPS 6 owner)

These guys have now got together to start making serious performance items for the MPS platform.

I can personally vouch for this vendor, having successfully bought items from them, and having seen the quality and professionalism of their items

This EOI is for an upcoming GB for replacement gearbox shift fork pads.

Be aware that interest is to be directed to customerservice@speedperf6rmanc3.com and that, at this time, there is no cost for shipping or for sorting core exchange for your shift forks.

I will expand on this below.

This is a direct copy of the GB EOI from MSF and outlines all of the current options and requirements for this upcomming GB. Please note prices are in US dollars (naturally)

For a long time the MZR community has been suffering from a transmission problem where you would pop out of gear during deceleration or even under normal driving conditions. It most commonly happens in second gear but some have reported it in several other gears. After doing some research it seems that the stock plastic shift fork pads are breaking off which is causing the shift fork not to engage the syncro fully and the gear will pop out. This leads to gears grinding and in some cases loss of the ability to enter a certain gear.

We contacted a performance transmission company that makes upgraded brass shift fork pads for other platforms. We sent them a set of stock forks and they determined they would be able to make us an exact replacement pad out of brass for us to use. This pad has been proven on their current platforms to outlast the stock plastic pad by over 3 times. This of course depends on your driving style and what you plan to use the car for but we were assured we would not see the same failures by using the brass pads.

This pad will be made to fit each individual fork and will be attached using a press fit along with some industrial glue where the pins meet inside the fork itself. These will not just be a piece of brass that was brazed on and machined down to size. These are a direct replacement CNC made brass pad designed for our specific fork.

We are going to be offering the option to have these pads put on a set of new or used forks. Both options will require a core charge of your stock forks that will be refunded to you once we receive them back.

Pricing:

Below is some estimated pricing based on the quote we have already been given. This may change slightly but for now it’s a pretty good estimate.

Used Forks:

Core charge – $275

1st/2nd – $80

3rd/4th - $80

5th/6th- $80

New Forks:

Core Charge - $275

1st/2nd – $188

3rd/4th - $138

5th/6th- $162

We already have 3 sets on order which should be done in 1-2 weeks. We plan to test these in 3 high horsepower cars to make sure there are no problems and that everything drives like stock. Once that testing is complete we can have these shipping to you guys in just a few days. We will also include a full color detailed write up on how to replace the forks. If you’re comfortable doing your own clutch then we are confident you won’t have a problem replacing these on your own with our instructions.

Below are some pictures of the stock shift forks along with the failures we have seen. The brass replacement pads will be an exact replica of the plastic pads you see in these pictures.

If you are a member on MSF then you can view the thread directly here or PM superskaterxes

I was specifically asked by Anthony (superskaterxes) to share this EOI with you, so the boys will not be surprised if they hear from some aussies.
    MPS is gone. Ghey Trail enabled....Not Happy. MPS 6 to come

If I had my way, Pablo would be building my motor

Skates is also tuning cars with rich
    Last edited by SarcasticOne; 23-05-2013 at 12:38 PM.

Interesting. It is almost impossible to downshift to 2nd gear in my car when I am racing, and half the time I do it tends to pop back out again. Might be worth looking into.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    Interesting. It is almost impossible to downshift to 2nd gear in my car when I am racing, and half the time I do it tends to pop back out again. Might be worth looking into.
    Clutch, LSD, this at the same time @Reedy?
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

The idea behind using brass bushes instead of the teflon oem bushings came from the i-moto MPS canam racing team in the US.

From their own words the only time the brass bushes have failed was when the driver in one of the MPS's burnt his clutch out and had to smash into gears lol.

Considering how notchy our boxes are, and how likely the oem bushes are to fail over time, this seems like a worthy investment to me. Hence why I shared it here.

This is not a mod to invest in lightly though. It does required removal and disassembly of the gearbox to fit the forks.

It does however seem to be a very worthwhile investment.
    MPS is gone. Ghey Trail enabled....Not Happy. MPS 6 to come

As per normal ,our friends in the USA are way ahead of the ballgame . Big creds to their involvement and ability to source upgrades .A huge population and immense market does have its rewards .