User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: boost response after gear change

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    I think MRT max boost is only 16psi , prob to tune around pump lol.i asked Brett once what boost are his tunes and he told me it was a secret .
    Aint a secret when you hook an ultra gauge or another reader to it.

I think MRT max boost is only 16psi , prob to tune around pump lol.i asked Brett once what boost are his tunes and he told me it was a secret .
    In magazine/tv coverage there is a lot of "company secrets"... but honestly they are not ahead of the tuning pack in Australia so I don't see why they think someone would steal their tuning ideas? Sense... makes none!

I guess it is so we don't know it's a de-tune. Not really a secret.
    SG9 XT: VF34 P20, Tomei headers, STI intercooler HSD coilovers, Brembos and much more...

Quote Originally Posted by DAN MPS 3 View Post
    In magazine/tv coverage there is a lot of "company secrets"... but honestly they are not ahead of the tuning pack in Australia so I don't see why they think someone would steal their tuning ideas? Sense... makes none!

Makes you wonder why he is so popular considering how much flack he gets not just on this forum, he cops a flogging on the Rex forum

Makes you wonder why he is so popular considering how much flack he gets not just on this forum, he cops a flogging on the Rex forum
    It is the MPS Garage thing all over... By the time you know you have made a mistake you are already in too deep!

They are a known shop, easy to contact (initially) and are an 'easy' one-stop shop.

MRT is associated with Rally, Time Attack, etc and that is what sucks you in... until you get the bill and the dyno sheet and they don't add up!
    SG9 XT: VF34 P20, Tomei headers, STI intercooler HSD coilovers, Brembos and much more...

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DAN MPS 3 View Post

The USA tuners Freek, Lex etc and Edge on here share info and show what boost/timing AFRs etc they go for, MRT just hide the fact they sell/tune to people that think addiing ever ybolt on imaginable and a so called upgraded turbo is a great result gaining 20kw over stock after spending 5 grand plus

I would find it hard to imagine that anyone is manufacturing a turbo petrol engine without some form of bypass valve. Just because you don't hear it doesn't mean it's not there. The MPS is a case in point. The average wally wouldn't know if it was there or not as it is almost inaudible. The reason is that as the throttle plate closes, the boosted air has nowhere to go and the backpressure wave will feed back to the turbo, inducing some form of stall or incipient stall. In extreme cases it can be damaging, by stalling the compressor repeatedly. Diesel engines do not have a throttle plate so the consideration is different.

Anyway, my last post remains relevant. In a well-meaning attempt to assist you, I explained why you might need an adjustable BOV if you are having the problems you are experiencing, all else being equal. I didn't suggest that you would destroy your engine without one, and I'm not sure why you would assume I might say that, particularly in view of the point I make above where I know that except in rare cases, petrol turbo engines all have some means of dumping boost to protect the turbo, variously referred to as Bypass valves, Blow-off valves or Dump valves. They all do much the same job. However, the type and the name by which it is known tends to vary across industries and whether the engines to which they are fitted are more or less constant speed or not (e.g. aircraft engines).

The only other comment I'll make, again, for I have written this previously on this site, is that more BS is talked about BOVs than any other component in a turbo engine. For a simple device that is intended to do only one job, it is the most misunderstood item and principle since the abacus, and is blamed for more problems or espoused as the cure for more mechanical and performance ills and as the source of more mythical horsepower than Tiger Balm suppositories.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Think someone just blew a poopoo valve

Agreed Doug, This thread has run its course.

Do what you will at your own risk when it comes to blocking BOVs.

In regards to spooling turbo, post some relevant data and we will be more than happy to assist.

In regards to boost being a 'secret' in certain shops tunes, any tom dick or harry with a boost gauge could figure that out in about 30 seconds flat. DERP.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345