User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: boost response after gear change

I still can't see how the guys with FWD MPS's get that sort of power to the road, with the Evo it only rubbed all 4 if I launched it hard, second onwards would be fine. My MPS makes roundabout 180kw ATW after my Versatune, it rubs in first and second, only in third does it gets proper traction, with 250 I bet it rubs it in third as well.........too much for a street FWD I think!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_MPS6 View Post
    This is why you need an adjustable BOV, so you can set how much air is dumped, and how much is retained so the turbo doesn't completely go off song and have to re-spool up to speed again. I bet all the other turbo cars you've driven, unless they still in factory setup, have had adjustable BOVs.
    quite the opposite, they had no bov whatsoever. and please i dont want to hear the "ure turbo will shit itself if u run no bov lecture" and the r32 was 100% stock
    Last edited by rgpmps3; 12-05-2013 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    ...with 250 I bet it rubs it in third as well... too much for a street FWD I think!
    Mr.Cautious it would be fun. But I am sure the novelty would wear thin after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by rgpmps3 View Post
    quite the opposite, they had no bov whatsoever. and please i dont want to hear the "ure turbo will shit itself if u run no bov lecture" and the r32 was 100% stock
    Pretty sure Nissan sold the R32 with a BOV? It's cheap insurance for a Car Manufacturer instead of replacing turbo's later on.

It will kill a turbo on any moderate boost level over a period of time.
    Last edited by DAN MPS 3; 12-05-2013 at 12:31 PM.
    SG9 XT: VF34 P20, Tomei headers, STI intercooler HSD coilovers, Brembos and much more...

Quote Originally Posted by DAN MPS 3 View Post
    Mr.Cautious it would be fun. But I am sure the novelty would wear thin after a while.

Pretty sure Nissan sold the R32 with a BOV. It's cheap insurance for a Car Manufacturer instead of replacing turbo's later on.

It will kill a turbo on any moderate boost level over a period of time.
    only the r32 got the bov, the r31 rb20 motor had no bov same as the rb30et motor, i ran 16 psi through my rb30et for years (around 130,00km) and that turbo is still fine, same as my cefiro rb20, i have this argument alot and no one can ever "prove" this happens, seems more of theory to me,

only the r32 got the bov, the r31 rb20 motor had no bov same as the rb30et motor, i ran 16 psi through my rb30et for years (around 130,00km) and that turbo is still fine, same as my cefiro rb20, i have this argument alot and no one can ever "prove" this happens, seems more of theory to me,
    A plain bearing turbo (like the ones that come on the cars stated above) have more tolerance to shaft play. So explains how they held together so well over that period of time.

Just becasue it didn't come with a BOV doesn't mean it is the best thing for it a BOV releases the stress/pressure that is otherwise being applied to the turbine. Plus 'dose' sounds shit and draws way to much attention...
    SG9 XT: VF34 P20, Tomei headers, STI intercooler HSD coilovers, Brembos and much more...

A plain bearing turbo (like the ones that come on the cars stated above) have more tolerance to shaft play. So explains how they held together so well over that period of time.

Just becasue it didn't come with a BOV doesn't mean it is the best thing for it a BOV releases the stress/pressure that is otherwise being applied to the turbine. Plus 'dose' sounds shit and draws way to much attention...
    the rb30 had a roller bearing core, it was an aftermarket unit, sounding shit or not isnt the argument and besides an aftermarket bov is somthing just about all cops can spy out if they pull you over. not all cars make the retaded vl dose sound you are referring too, alot of those blokes set them up a certain way to make it as prominent as possible! and can sound quite conservitive and half normal.

All my experiance with aftermarket BOV's have been plumb-back to keep it legal... HKS SSQ plumbed into a CAI sounded sweet. Police never bothered me for it

Anyways, I am over arguing with people wouldn't know from a bar of soap... I have plenty of people I know who are up for a debate.

All my experiance with aftermarket BOV's have been plumb-back to keep it legal... HKS SSQ plumbed into a CAI sounded sweet. Police never bothered me for it

Anyways, I am over arguing with people wouldn't know from a bar of soap... I have plenty of people I know who are up for a debate.
    are you implying this towards me? sounds like you are trying to offend in an effort to change the subject because you still have not proved this is detrimental to a turbo.

are you implying this towards me? sounds like you are trying to offend in an effort to change the subject because you still have not proved this is detrimental to a turbo.
    This thread is titled boost response after gear change. Who cares what is proved or disproved, you've got your answers for the question that was asked. All cars and setups are different, especially this platform.

Sent from my LG-P880 using Tapatalk 2
    --> 2008 Metro Grey Sports Pack Gen1 <--

CS SRI ll CS TIP ll CS AB ll 2XS SSP ll 2XS FMIC ll SURE Anchors ll Enkei RPF1's 17x9 +45 ll Lamin-X Fog Tint ll DBA T3 4000 series ll Remsa pads ll Braided lines
    CP-E S2 RMM ll Hankook RS3 235/40/17 ll Forge V1 BPV ll Whiteline RSB ll AutoTech HPFP
    ll Spin-on Conversion ll Rear Diffuser
    DGR Coilovers ll LED Replacement lights ll "08-MPS" plates ll Cobb AP V3 (E85) ll CP-e TBE ll OCC

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    I still can't see how the guys with FWD MPS's get that sort of power to the road, with the Evo it only rubbed all 4 if I launched it hard, second onwards would be fine. My MPS makes roundabout 180kw ATW after my Versatune, it rubs in first and second, only in third does it gets proper traction, with 250 I bet it rubs it in third as well.........too much for a street FWD I think!
    I'm fine with ~250kw in 3rd... It's a very different type of power delivery... Where the stock turbo is instant, the extra bit of lag helps the car keep traction...
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

There are arguments for and against. Risk your own turbo at your will.
    I won't be.

Back on topic.

I don't think the mps lags with the tiny k04.
    Id be getting a second opinion. Maybe a boost leak?

Maybe get a boost gauge.

stock mine used to be on song from 3200 odd, with my mods it was down to 2700.
    If you are under that you are potentially shifting too early or something else is at play.

##edit - just realised op is for the blocking of the bov. If you have done this, undo it and try again. Air flowing back through the turbo is slowing spool. There is no argument against that.
    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Jmac; 12-05-2013 at 02:18 PM.
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    ...stock mine used to be on song from 3200 odd, with my mods it was down to 2700.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    There are arguments for and against. Risk your own turbo at your will.
    I won't be.

Back on topic.

I don't think the mps lags with the tiny k04.
    Id be getting a second opinion. Maybe a boost leak?

Maybe get a boost gauge.

stock mine used to be on song from 3200 odd, with my mods it was down to 2700.
    If you are under that you are potentially shifting too early or something else is at play.

##edit - just realised op is for the blocking of the bov. If you have done this, undo it and try again. Air flowing back through the turbo is slowing spool. There is no argument against that.
    nah motor is totally stock, it come on boost fine initially it just the picking boost up after high rpm shifts. i try and shift at around 6k or a touch less as it doesnt do anything on a stock motor above that. maybe its just how they are.

14. Default

I came from a VL turbo which went through stages of stock to 600hp atw and even stock it felt straight on boost in between shifts, i understand what the OP is saying about the pause between shifts with the MPS i noticed it straight away and also thought it was ECU controlled for safety. it's way better after the ecutek tune.

Pictures of skids... or it didn't happen

Quote Originally Posted by shaneski View Post
    I came from a VL turbo which went through stages of stock to 600hp atw and even stock it felt straight on boost in between shifts, i understand what the OP is saying about the pause between shifts with the MPS i noticed it straight away and also thought it was ECU controlled for safety. it's way better after the ecutek tune.
    The ECU does alot of thing to be safe. Life it closed the throttle at higher RPM, limits boost in 1st & 2nd...

With a tune (COBB AP/ECUTECK) you can limit these or even remove them. My STAGE1 OTS Map removed:
    - the hesitation with the throttle, improving response
    - the 1st/2nd gear limit (which feels like lag until you realise there isn't anymore boost...)

Plus the more aggressive tune made it pick/spool up sooner and harder!

ECUTEK is obviously more indepth then the OTS Maps so I am sure it will be able to further battle the soft-cock stock tune.

Pictures of skids... or it didn't happen

The ECU does alot of thing to be safe. Life it closed the throttle at higher RPM, limits boost in 1st & 2nd...

With a tune (COBB AP/ECUTECK) you can limit these or even remove them. My STAGE1 OTS Map removed:
    - the hesitation with the throttle, improving response
    - the 1st/2nd gear limit (which feels like lag until you realise there isn't anymore boost...)

Plus the more aggressive tune made it pick/spool up sooner and harder!

ECUTEK is obviously more indepth then the OTS Maps so I am sure it will be able to further battle the soft-cock stock tune.
    ok so things will get better , 1st gear in mine doesnt even break traction unless u kick the clutch or dump it off the line! i looked into an ecu tech tune but at $1900 for a over the net style tune plus another $300 odd dollars for the cable (no dyno time they just send me a map and i send them back logs for them to imrove the tune on) f%$k that!! seems criminal to me! and im glad shaneski can relate to where im coming from!

ok so things will get better , 1st gear in mine doesnt even break traction unless u kick the clutch or dump it off the line! i looked into an ecu tech tune but at $1900 for a over the net style tune plus another $300 odd dollars for the cable (no dyno time they just send me a map and i send them back logs for them to imrove the tune on) f%$k that!! seems criminal to me! and im glad shaneski can relate to where im coming from!
    Intake, dp and tmic will free it up nicely. Then pump internals and stage two will have it going. See my mods in signature for my 3.

Red dotted line is boost.
    Top black dotted line is 20psi.

MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Get's better in an understatement!

Get a COBB use OTS STAGE1 Maps. Do skids for kids all day!!

Get a fuel pump, test pipe/downpipe and run STAGE2. More skids for the kids!!

19. Default

The Ecuteck tune is 1900 it's done on a dyno don't need a cable and not worry about getting put in jail doing 4th WOT logs. Mines hitting 210kw atw done at Tunehouse with out a dump pipe, i actually would love to have 1st gear restricted back similar to stock so it can be launched.

20. Default

My curiosity just got the better of me, went and did hard shifts with only lifting half way off in between, makes a hell of a difference

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast