User Tag List

Thread: LRM - Mazda 626 Sedan Detail

Default LRM - Mazda 626 Sedan Detail

Well...This was interesting.

Every detailer has a horror story, and this car certainly fits the bill.

Brief was to bring this rather sad looking 626 up to a presentable condition for a nieces first car after getting her licence. Sounds easy, really was not lol.

The pictures do not really do justice to the condition this car was in, and the level I managed to correct it to.

As presented

Removing tar and metal particles from surface...Good lord.

Post wash inspection...Oh Lord, what have I let myself in for here.

How bad is it under lights...Yeah, that bad

What the....

Very deep scratching, swirls, and paint oxidation.

2 Passes with compound.

3rd pass with compound.

4th pass with compound. That is about as good as it is going to get. Had a lot of trouble getting a decent shot of this, so sorry about blurring.

Roof was better. 1st pass with compound. Removed light swirls though a couple of deeper scratches were still present.

2nd pass with compound and finished down. Now we are talking.

Bit of a gap in pictures. Was working late and buggered by then. Boot as good as it was going to get.

Nice gloss coming up on the sides. Apart from some light swirls and chips, the surface was surprisingly good.

More gaps in pics, was rushing my arse off to get the trim plastics restored. Daylight pics before collection.

Total work time 22 hours (with some interior tidying) Decontamination took a whopping 5 hours!!
    MPS is gone. Ghey Trail enabled....Not Happy. MPS 6 to come

You deserve a Fukcing medal... I would have just set it on fire and walked away.

Detailing my MPS gives me the shits, and it's pretty easy because I keep it clean!
    Last edited by DAN MPS 3; 11-05-2013 at 01:29 PM.

Great work Jase. An order of magnitude better!

Quote Originally Posted by DAN MPS 3 View Post
    You deserve a Fukcing medal... I would have just set it on fire and walked away.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Wow, the cat's outta the bag, suddenly there's another gloss monster in NSW or are your skills "known" already on the forum? Probably going overboard with the comment about setting it on fire , but I bet you had a few moments where you thought this was gonna be to hard to make right?? Nice work Jason, i'm sure the new owner would be over the moon with this result
    2XS RACING $ CORKSPORT $ MAGNAFLOW $ ​UNSURE MOTORSPORTS $ COBB $ INJEN $ FULCRUM $ FEDERAL TYRES $ VISUAL GARAGE $ ADVANCED PERFORMANCE CENTRE $ B C M $ NGK $ STRATIFIED $ AUTOTECH $ DBA $ REMSA $ DGR $ MORIMOTO $ JBR $ FUSION

Quote Originally Posted by MPSBNE View Post
    Probably going overboard with the comment about setting it on fire... i'm sure the new owner would be over the moon with this result
    I am not going overboard I just think that polish would be better spent on other cars

Especially if the new-owner parks in under a tree all day and cleans it once a year... Let us hope they care for it a little better then the previous one.
    SG9 XT: VF34 P20, Tomei headers, STI intercooler HSD coilovers, Brembos and much more...

Quote Originally Posted by DAN MPS 3 View Post
    I am not going overboard I just think that polish would be better spent on other cars

Especially if the new-owner parks in under a tree all day and cleans it once a year... Let us hope they care for it a little better then the previous one.
    Obviously the new owner thinks it's just as well spent on her car, don't have to own a 40k hot hatch to be a car lover. Point is, Jason's done an awesome job and i'm sure it was a good feeling handing this little car back to the owner in it's paint corrected condition Just seeing the reaction would have made it all worth while! Good Job!
    2XS RACING $ CORKSPORT $ MAGNAFLOW $ ​UNSURE MOTORSPORTS $ COBB $ INJEN $ FULCRUM $ FEDERAL TYRES $ VISUAL GARAGE $ ADVANCED PERFORMANCE CENTRE $ B C M $ NGK $ STRATIFIED $ AUTOTECH $ DBA $ REMSA $ DGR $ MORIMOTO $ JBR $ FUSION

Quote Originally Posted by MPSBNE View Post
    Obviously the new owner thinks it's just as well spent on her car, don't have to own a 40k hot hatch to be a car lover. Point is, Jason's done an awesome job and i'm sure it was a good feeling handing this little car back to the owner in it's paint corrected condition Just seeing the reaction would have made it all worth while! Good Job!
    Not doubt his mad skills have saved this car I know that $$$ isn't what defines a car lover, it the time and attention to detail you put into it...
    SG9 XT: VF34 P20, Tomei headers, STI intercooler HSD coilovers, Brembos and much more...

In all honesty, both of your comments hold merit lol.

At one stage I wanted to set it on fire lol. This was truly a test of both my equipment, and my skills.

However, when the owner turned up and said he thought there was a new car parked out front, that made it all worthwhile.

For what I charged for this job, I seriously under quoted, but the difference between a detailer and a car cleaner is that a detailer wont let a car out the door till it meets a minimum level of improvement. that level is each detailers, but you have to live with the memory of the job you did. So you set a minimum standard that any job must reach.

The more the owner wants perfection and is willing to pay for that level of correction, the further that minimum standard rises.

Naturally the better a cars finish is to start with, not the mention the quality of that finish, the more you can bring the best out of, in each job.
    MPS is gone. Ghey Trail enabled....Not Happy. MPS 6 to come

That's a seriously awesome effort. Well done!