User Tag List

Thread: Panel beaters or insurance guru, I need some help.

Default Panel beaters or insurance guru, I need some help.

So a question for anybody out there that may have more of an idea than me.
    Basically I was involved in a minor accident several weeks ago and finally my car went in this week for repairs. I managed to bust my radiator support and rio up front as well as wrecking the bumper and dinting the tip of the bonnet.

I wanted to get my car done by BCM as they do good work and I have been there before.
    Well I received a phone call from BCM today in regards to my bonnet saying they needes to strip it back as it is stone chipped to high heaven. They then said it would cost me 400-450 to get it stripped and resprayed.

My question is why should I be paying for this?
    Shouldn't it have been stripped and resprayed anyway if they needed to repair the bonnet and wouldn't it be an insurance cost not my cost..
    All Things 2XS

Unfortunately no.
    Insurance companies pay the panel beaters very little, and allocate less than the bare minimum hours to repair.
    To correctly strip a bonnet back without damaging it is actually quite a time consuming job. It has to be done slowly.

They are really only required to bring the car back to pre accident standards. Sometimes the shop will go the extra mile and fix things like your stone chips, but it really depends on how much work it will be.

My personal experience with insurance companies and panel beaters

I went down a ditch and only dinted the door sill on my passengers side (That was $800-$1500 to fix itself)

At the time, My headlights were discolouring, One rim was scuffed, My bumper had dints and dings all over it and was half coming off. Which I asked the panel beater to write down that was all caused by the accident (Which it wasn't, Panel beater isn't going to say no to more money) Ended up becoming $2500-$4000

I was happy got half my car fixed and the panel beater would have made some extra money

So I guess if you had of claimed that the stone chips were part of the accident you could have got it fixed, Or some how asked the panel beater to do a dodgy to get it fixed
    My Baby 2005 Mazda6 MPS Dark Purple

Mods|Corksport SRI+Airbox|Corksport TIP|CP-e REM|JBR EngineMounts 80A|20% Tint|Autometer Cobalt Series Gauges (Boost & Water Temp & Oil Pressure)

Ordered|Corksport TMIC|Cobb AP|

@Zebbstar that my friend is insurance fraud. I'd be careful about sprouting about it on a public forum.

@Ski82 Unfortunately I've had the same experience with bonnet repairs. I ended up sucking it up and paying the extra cash. Since they're doing it, I figured they might as well do it properly and I'd be happier down the track with it.
    Last edited by zacman; 11-05-2013 at 12:50 PM.

So they wouldn't be painting it all?
    How can they fix a dinted bonnet without painting but?

Quote Originally Posted by Ski82 View Post
    So they wouldn't be painting it all?
    How can they fix a dinted bonnet without painting but?
    For me, they were going to straighten to front out and then paint about half of the bonnet. Blending it with the rest of the bonnet, and not repairing any of the other existing defects (as directed by the insurance company).

Dwayne, you could ask them to do it as a cash job whilst it's there.

As they will most likely have to remove the bonnet to do the other repairs, some of the labour is already being paid for by insurance, thus if you throw a bit of extra cash, they can do it that way.

Loss Adjusters/Assessors are not in the game of providing a "free upgrade" unfortunately... Sorry to hear mate!

All good just thought i would ask the question...
    I'll see what they can do for cash....

They said 400-450 but assume thats on the books..