User Tag List

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Eonon D5151A Replacement Head Unit

Quote Originally Posted by nath View Post
    No trouble at all. I guess its better than before but not ideal. Pop is much lower on 0 and once the volume is up a bit the whine is harder to hear.
    I'm looking at alternative solutions to the problem.

Be very careful trying that speaker wire to not short out the speakers!
    Ok all so it seems I have solved the alternator whine noise after completing the rca mod as indicated by @nath now before I share what I did, unfortunately I did two things at the Same time and I'm not entirely sure which one fixed the problem. So any way the first thing I did was insulate all the solder points inside the 4 added RCA's by using head shrink tube over both the positive and negate solder points on each RCA ( had this weird concept that the live wire was somehow interfering electrically with the ground as the solder point are quite close together) the next thing I did was splice the ground wire on the eonon harness (pin 15 for the GM5151) and added an extension ground (16awg) which I routed and grounded to the same point as the factory bose amplifier under the seat, using a crimp ring terminal. And that my friends is pretty much it. I have a theory the the ground in the eonon harness is pretty much shite now I have 0 hum/whine and 0 blutooth pop very clean sound I must say!

thanks so much @nath for bringing the rca mod to our attention and letting me bounce ideas off you and providing ideas in response your a champ mate,

Edit. for anyone that doesn't know this, I also installed the eonon HD CCD reverse camera today and the red wire that comes attached with yellow video cable does NOT need to be connected on either end. In fact I cut off both ends and insulated with heat shrink.
    Last edited by Mspec; 19-07-2014 at 09:39 PM.
    Corksport SRI// Corksport TIP// Race Pipe//​ Turbosmart BPV// Resonator Delete// JBR 80a RMM// Autotech HPFP// Cobb AP V3// HDI GT2 FMIC// ​NGK LTR7IX-11// Simota 360* Filter// Eonon GM5151-With Back Up Cam// ​RaydTuned

Nice work @Mspec, that's great news. No troubles with the help, I'm glad you got it sorted.

Was the amp hard to pull out? I see the wiring goes through under the carpet - seat out job?

I'll try grounding to the same point before I fix the terminals and see if it was both or just the one.

My gps slot has died but I'm still determined to get rid of the noise!

3. Default

Lads, just to make sure. U cut off the wires pins no 9, 10, 13, 14, on photo below

And solder 2 RCA male ( front speakers) and plug in to RCA female connectors no 14, 15, front output left and right photo below

And then where to plug in the RCA male wires from external amp.

Please note the photos attached are from d5156 NOT d5151

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have the Eonon unit myself, but have previous experience with car audio. Are those experiencing the alternator whine only those with the Bose systems? If so, then I'm almost certain it's a ground loop that's causing the problem. Grounding a head unit and amp to the same point using a decent gauge wire helps (as @Mspec did) and using ground loop isolators on any RCAs going to amplifiers also helps.
    Jaycar sell ground loop isolators: http://m.jaycar.com.au/m_productView.asp?ID=AA3084
    - 2006 BK MPS 3 -

Nice work @Mspec, that's great news. No troubles with the help, I'm glad you got it sorted.

Was the amp hard to pull out? I see the wiring goes through under the carpet - seat out job?

I'll try grounding to the same point before I fix the terminals and see if it was both or just the one.

My gps slot has died but I'm still determined to get rid of the noise!

Hey nath, yep seat out job not very hard just be careful not to break the plastic bits you need to remove to access the bolts. I was fortunate that I was installing my reverse cam so I had the glove box out already and routed the ground behind there and down through the kick panel under the carpet. A straightend wire coat hanger helps with getting the wire through and under the carpet.

thats weird that the gps slot died, have you tried a different sd card?
    Corksport SRI// Corksport TIP// Race Pipe//​ Turbosmart BPV// Resonator Delete// JBR 80a RMM// Autotech HPFP// Cobb AP V3// HDI GT2 FMIC// ​NGK LTR7IX-11// Simota 360* Filter// Eonon GM5151-With Back Up Cam// ​RaydTuned

Quote Originally Posted by DD3 View Post
    I don't have the Eonon unit myself, but have previous experience with car audio. Are those experiencing the alternator whine only those with the Bose systems? If so, then I'm almost certain it's a ground loop that's causing the problem. Grounding a head unit and amp to the same point using a decent gauge wire helps (as @Mspec did) and using ground loop isolators on any RCAs going to amplifiers also helps.
    Jaycar sell ground loop isolators: Ground Loop Isolator (Stereo) RCA- Jaycar Electronics

From What I can gather it seems to be bose related but I could be wrong, I'm starting to think it becomes more prevalent when converting speaker wires to rca to bypass the eonon amp and using the line level outputs. It's almost as though the pre outs are more prone to interference issues than speaker level. I'm no expert by any means just try to think in theory.
    Last edited by Mspec; 19-07-2014 at 11:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by paddy12345 View Post
    Lads, just to make sure. U cut off the wires pins no 9, 10, 13, 14, on photo below

And solder 2 RCA male ( front speakers) and plug in to RCA female connectors no 14, 15, front output left and right photo below

And then where to plug in the RCA male wires from external amp.

Please note the photos attached are from d5156 NOT d5151

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    are you doing the rca mod?, if so you are cutting all the speaker outputs which according to your diagram are 8-15 ( total 8 wires) to wire up a total of 4 RCA's just make sure you cut them as per @nath instructions earlier in the thread. Also I feel it's very important to properly tin the connections and not cold solder the points.
    Last edited by Mspec; 19-07-2014 at 11:12 PM.

Note^^^

If you are using the plastic rca connectors try not to have your soldering iron too hot as it's very easy to melt the plastic and have the solder points come loose on the rca ( I learnt this whilst doing the mod lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Mspec View Post
    From What I can gather it seems to be bose related but I could be wrong, I'm starting to think it becomes more prevalent when converting speaker wires to rca to bypass the eonon amp and using the line level outputs. It's almost as though the pre outs are more prone to interference issues than speaker level. I'm no expert by any means just try to think in theory.
    Noise will more prevalent with a lower level signal. Also, consider the fact that you weren't even able to listen at low volume before modifying the harness to accept RCA inputs, so now that you can the noise will be more noticeable until you crank it up.
    - 2006 BK MPS 3 -

10. Default

Note^^^

If you are using the plastic rca connectors try not to have your soldering iron too hot as it's very easy to melt the plastic and have the solder points come loose on the rca ( I learnt this whilst doing the mod lol)

Right lads!

just back from the garage, checked everything one more time, with the amp and with no amp. disconnected all speakers, hook up "new" one, and looks like the HU is fxxxxed,
    I may try the trick with RCA cutting etc, just have to know all the connections.
    I using only front speakers so I gonna cut 4 wires and stick 2 RCA male, but what then? plug in them to front output or rear output? dont forget I still have external amp, and its connected to front output.

thnx!

Quote Originally Posted by paddy12345 View Post
    Right lads!

just back from the garage, checked everything one more time, with the amp and with no amp. disconnected all speakers, hook up "new" one, and looks like the HU is fxxxxed,
    I may try the trick with RCA cutting etc, just have to know all the connections.
    I using only front speakers so I gonna cut 4 wires and stick 2 RCA male, but what then? plug in them to front output or rear output? dont forget I still have external amp, and its connected to front output.

thnx!
    Ok, a couple of questions. Is the amp you have a factory or amp that uses speaker level inputs rather than line level? Secondly are you having issues now with noise or high volumes at low settings? As you mentioned you installed the headunit and it's "fixed" quite honestly if it's working well I would leave it as is.

the rca mod is primarily to alleviate the high volume at low setting, so if you don't have that issue you don't need to do it.

Hey nath, yep seat out job not very hard just be careful not to break the plastic bits you need to remove to access the bolts. I was fortunate that I was installing my reverse cam so I had the glove box out already and routed the ground behind there and down through the kick panel under the carpet. A straightend wire coat hanger helps with getting the wire through and under the carpet.

thats weird that the gps slot died, have you tried a different sd card?
    Did you ground to the sub under the passengers seat, or the amp under the drivers side? A long way round if you were going to the drivers side!

Yeah, tried different SD cards, the other slot still works fine. It just gives the same message as if the card isn't even in there. I pulled the LCD off the front to check SD connections, looked all good.

Did you ground to the sub under the passengers seat, or the amp under the drivers side? A long way round if you were going to the drivers side!

Yeah, tried different SD cards, the other slot still works fine. It just gives the same message as if the card isn't even in there. I pulled the LCD off the front to check SD connections, looked all good.

To to the amp mate, what I did was routed the wire through the dash to the glove box side (seeings it was out) then used steel wire to feed it under the carpet from the glovebox side to the amp. I may have done it the hard way lol I just felt it was easier at the time to access the carpet)

I am selling mine if anyone is interested

15. Default

Ok all so it seems I have solved the alternator whine noise after completing the rca mod as indicated by @nath now before I share what I did, unfortunately I did two things at the Same time and I'm not entirely sure which one fixed the problem. So any way the first thing I did was insulate all the solder points inside the 4 added RCA's by using head shrink tube over both the positive and negate solder points on each RCA ( had this weird concept that the live wire was somehow interfering electrically with the ground as the solder point are quite close together) the next thing I did was splice the ground wire on the eonon harness (pin 15 for the GM5151) and added an extension ground (16awg) which I routed and grounded to the same point as the factory bose amplifier under the seat, using a crimp ring terminal. And that my friends is pretty much it. I have a theory the the ground in the eonon harness is pretty much shite now I have 0 hum/whine and 0 blutooth pop very clean sound I must say!

thanks so much @nath for bringing the rca mod to our attention and letting me bounce ideas off you and providing ideas in response your a champ mate,

Edit. for anyone that doesn't know this, I also installed the eonon HD CCD reverse camera today and the red wire that comes attached with yellow video cable does NOT need to be connected on either end. In fact I cut off both ends and insulated with heat shrink.
    Stupid Question here, did you cut the original ground connection to the car? so you'd only have the ground going to the amp. or did you splice it in between the ground, so the stock ground is still connected AND the ground running to the amp is additionally there?

made a little drawing, hope this helps to clarify my question (the triangles show which connectors are connected):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GL.png 
Views:	248 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	17714

the amp grounds to the screw under the seat? i've found another ground screw down from the a-pillar...that's probably not the amp ground?

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415