User Tag List

Thread: Dashboard plastic noise.... Grrrr.....

Default Dashboard plastic noise.... Grrrr.....

Hey all,

have a gen1 mps3, only about 46,000 on her now. Slowly there are squeaks and rattles etc starting to appear.... I can get to most of them but there is one that I will have no chance at...

picture the dash, around the hazard switch..... There is this plastic "click" kind of sound coming from the passengers side of the smooth dash panel in the middle when going over a bump.... The mrs can't hear it but when i hear it, it's like a hammer going trough my brain!!!

Anyone had this problem? It's not the belt indicator on the rear view by the way folks... Tried that!!!

any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Cheers,

al

Hey Al @Alan, cabin rattles really do suck and detract from an otherwise awesome driving experience .

Have you tried removing the centre dash panel and glovebox to see if there are any loose screws or parts that need repositioning around the area of interest? Also, are you referring to the area near the SRS airbag logo, or the trim on the passenger's side of the centre console (i.e. black plastic trim between the glovebox and headunit)?

Hey kombi,

Haven't pulled anything apart yet... To be honest, pulling the dash to bits scares me!

I'm pretty sure it's coming from the centre panel, on the top of the dash, toward the left hand side.... So, I'm referring to the middle bit on the top that's smooth as opposed to the other sides of the dash (that are in from of the driver and pax)

It could also be coming from around the hazard switch area or the head unit surrounds.... I'm not totally sure!! I was hoping that someone would click and go "IT'S THE....." And then of course give me a step by step guide on how to sort it lol....

I think with squeaks and rattles, it will likely to vary from car to car due to the imperfect nature of manufacturing and assembling parts. I understand how you feel about pulling the dash to bits....I tried doing this a few weeks ago on my 6mps and it took 2 hours because I was scared of breaking stuff and not being able to put it back together (very minimal handyman experience btw). Nevertheless, it now seems like a piece of cake.

Should you venture towards this path, here is a clip on how to remove the dash and stereo. It's for the US Mazda3 but should still be relevant, I think.

GTA Car Kits - Mazda 3 2004-2009 install of iPhone, Ipod, AUX and MP3 kit for factory stereo - YouTube

Good luck .