User Tag List

Thread: Help identifying noise (single tap noise - under forward motion)

1. Default Help identifying noise (single tap noise - under forward motion)

Hi Everyone,

Hoping you are able to help me identify a tap noise, or at least narrow it down.

Its a single metalic tap noise, under every fairly sudden forward motion, which appears to be coming from front left corner.

I can hear the noise inside with windows up, or down.

It sounds like something is loose and taps against something when moving/lurching forward in car (funnily enough not under braking though).

A mate said it it does not appear to be coming from suspension area, but might be my chain tensioner? but he is not familiar with my car, and was unable to locate this, or if in in fact the mps has a hydraulic tensioner?

Any help would be great.

Regards
    Glenn

Does it happen when the car is cold/warm/both?
    Does it happen at high/low/any speeds only?
    More obvious in low/high/all gears?
    Does the noise change with speed?
    is it a click/grind/thud/etc?

it would help greatly if you could record a video demonstrating the sound and appearance of the problem
    Last edited by Rayd; 06-05-2013 at 08:06 AM.

3. Default

Hey mate,

Will make a recording tonight if possible.

The noise happens hot or cold. In fact just the movement of starting the engine creates a single tap.
    Happens in all gears, what ever speed, as long as there is a fair amount of sudden forward motion it taps.
    If driving along steadily the noise cannot be heard, unless of course I accelerate hard, it then taps (just a single metallic tap)

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by cargle View Post
    Hey mate,

Will make a recording tonight if possible.

The noise happens hot or cold. In fact just the movement of starting the engine creates a single tap.
    Happens in all gears, what ever speed, as long as there is a fair amount of sudden forward motion it taps.
    If driving along steadily the noise cannot be heard, unless of course I accelerate hard, it then taps (just a single metallic tap)

Regards
    interesting, because this sounds almost exactly like what im experiencing in my MPS aswell ...

5. Default

Tried making a recording, however you cannot really hear it at all with all the background noises.
    Think I might need to just take it somewhere to see if they are able to identify and fix.

Have you changed your brake pads recently? If you can try to do a sudden reverse, will it do the same tap noise? If yes, then it might be a missing brake pad retainer (not sure what's the proper name for it)

I have this same noise and its doing my head in!hope someone can help

Quote Originally Posted by lovecolt View Post
    Have you changed your brake pads recently? If you can try to do a sudden reverse, will it do the same tap noise? If yes, then it might be a missing brake pad retainer (not sure what's the proper name for it)
    Mine does it in reverse aswell...

Is it like a ticking/clicking noise, sounds like it coming from the hub?

I recall mine having a similar issue ages ago and it was common Mazda issue, even the mazda dealers issued a pdf document to fix the it

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Is it like a ticking/clicking noise, sounds like it coming from the hub?

I recall mine having a similar issue ages ago and it was common Mazda issue, even the mazda dealers issued a pdf document to fix the it
    Yep , single click tap on sudden throttle

11. Default

My noise is coming from front left, and appears to be under bonnet (ie not from wheel/hub area)
    The noise on my car is only with sudden forward motion, engine start and some bumps in road also cause it.
    When it happens its a single (or double single) tapping noise (its NOT a clicking, grinding or thud noise)

I had a noise just like that and it had me stumped for a few weeks, ended up being loose strut tower nuts!
    Seems so simple but worth while checking GL!

13. Default

Could it be a broken engine mount?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by cargle View Post
    My noise is coming from front left, and appears to be under bonnet (ie not from wheel/hub area)
    The noise on my car is only with sudden forward motion, engine start and some bumps in road also cause it.
    When it happens its a single (or double single) tapping noise (its NOT a clicking, grinding or thud noise)
    Sounds like broken driver side engine mount, mine matched that description when it broke

15. Default

Thanks guys, I thought it might have been engine mounts, and checked the mounts best I could, I even tried putting hand-brake on and tried engaging the clutch a little, the engine should have moved but no sign of noise, but again might not be enough movement.

I have now taken car to local mechanic, see if they can diagnose, Im heading away this weekend down south, so hate for anything vital to suddenly have a major failure.

Thanks for the replies, if they are able to determine the cause will post this up for anyone else.

16. Default

So mechanic could not identify where sound was coming from this morning, another mechanic (same shop) took a look in the afternoon, he could not hear it all all, so asked if I take another drive with him, when I did, I couldn't hear it either, thought it might of been due to the rain and alot of outside noise.. but even on way home, was unable to replicate what had been happening every day without fail the last few weeks.. ??

They did say there was very slight movement in one of the engine mounts, but otherwise they looked pretty good.

So at this stage its a mystery, they advise me to bring it back if the noise is again noticeable.