User Tag List

Thread: new to cobb ap stage 1 sf intake

Default new to cobb ap stage 1 sf intake

hey guys,
    Got an ap for my car last week along with an sf intake and cobb airbox, flashed the map, drove the car reasonably soft for the first say 100kms, then after that started to go more into the mid range and loading the car up abit, i did abit of wot work last night too about 5500rpm in just 3rd and 4th(say 3 runs) just individually monitoring paramaters one at a time, its a shame u cant monitor more then one at a time unless datalogging. Anyway fuel pressure is above 1600psi, afr 11.2 - 11.6 at wot and boost peaks at 16.1 psi. However after getting more into reading with tuning im now a little worried that mayby ive gone wot too soon and could be doing damage to the engine? im looking for the thoughts on someone with some knowlege with tuning the ap. See another thing that worries me is im slowly getting an understanding for stft and ltft and dont know if there in an acceptable range. Please help, the car is still new and i dont want to blow it up, plus i want to put in the effort to learn how to tune well instead of paying someone money and not learn a thing.

mitch

2. Default

When you say the car is new... Less then 1000kms? Or just new in general? If the motor is run in and is maintained well you can plug the ap in load the map and go like a cat on fire straight away

Its a 2012 model, 15,000kms, i want this car to last along time, i generally drive this car quiet sensibly and ride the wave of torque. however when im in the mood and feel like going wot i want to do so with piece of mind and not having to worry that its leaning out or over boosting. No one engine is the same either and thats what worries me with just jumping in and driving it hard without knowing exactly whats going on. Besides i am eager too learn a d become knowledgeable so i can help others out that have problems. ive been reading alibtors guide(just as a base), atr help file, buckers cheat sheet etc.

4. Default

Stage one commands 11.6 afr and 16.5psi of boost, so it seems you're hitting those targets. Having a lower AFR is nothing to worry about, it gets worrying if it get too lean (higher number).

Are you getting any knock?

100km is enough for the computer to learn fuel trims provided you've passed/swept through the trim break points.

yeh i mean at first look everything appears ok, havent seen any knock yet, just my stft and ltft seem.to move around abit and im not sure what looks normal here or where they should be, how they react etc

an example of what im seing in trims , when vewing trims live down the bottom it has a percentage from 0.7 - +22% isnt that very high? what are normal.stft an part throttle and wot and also ltft at part.throttle and wot?

Trims on idle or under load?

I've given my 3 a boot long before 100km before when changing things.. All in moderation.. And always took it easy before going all in.

0.7 on idle is fine, and ive seen more than +22 on a WOT log I'm sure.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

under just above light load im seeing -7.0 , idle 0.8 to 0.00 wot havent really paid too much attention was too busy checking fuel pressure and knock + boost.

ive just aquired my acess tuner race and want to do a cl and open loop maf cal asap!

im very worried about blowing up lol
    mitch

You are making the MPS sounds weak as piss. Its not. You've only got an intake. You've got nothing to worry about being stock. If you're scared already have a read of this to 'boost' your confidence. Post #149 25PSI on Stock Block so I wouldn't be too worried.

GTX 2867 Installed and Reviewed - Page 4 - Mazdaspeed Forums
    2XS+ChipTorque=DeathStar

cheers mate im a firm believer that the mzr engine is strong and believe most of the blown engines are users fault and bad tuning. Thats why im being padantic, no matter how strong an engine is it only takes one bad tune and its all over, no one engine is the same and i just want to make sure on my particular car with my cobb stage 1 tune that everything seems safe. just being new to all this im just wanting some guidance, im happy to learn and then help.others when they need assistance

mitch

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mymps11 View Post
    cheers mate im a firm believer that the mzr engine is strong and believe most of the blown engines are users fault and bad tuning. Thats why im being padantic, no matter how strong an engine is it only takes one bad tune and its all over, no one engine is the same and i just want to make sure on my particular car with my cobb stage 1 tune that everything seems safe. just being new to all this im just wanting some guidance, im happy to learn and then help.others when they need assistance

mitch
    Being ots maps they are conservative in nature as they have to cater to the masses.

yeh i understand that, what are more critical to monitor stft or ltft? my stft at part throttle car be any where from 0.00, -0.8 all the way too -7.0 to +7.0 and ive noticed when i back off to maintain speed going down a hill then when i get to the bottom apply light throttle.to keep at the speed limit my stft shoot way up to +12 or +14.8 even

13. Default

keep a look at your LTFT... They should be within -+ 8% according to Cobb. The moment you drop the hammer LTFT will go to zero as the ecu will have gone to open loop.

ok cool, dont stft eventually become ltft?