User Tag List

Thread: MPS6 - What shock absorbers to go with King Springs?

Default MPS6 - What shock absorbers to go with King Springs?

Done a bit of research but cant decide on what/where to get.

Iv got a Mazda 6 MPS with King Springs KMRL - 25SL (Front)
    KMRL - 26SL (Rear)
    I believe these are the Super Lows?? with bout 50mm reduced ride height..(came with the car)

I have found that
    Blistein HD BE5 - A256 (front left)
    A257 (front right)
    A258 (rear)

Koni FSD - 2100 - 4052 (i think its a kit...no idea)

Koni Yellow - 8041 1305 (front)
    8041 1306 (rear)

Tokico HP (BLUE) - HU 3758 (front left)
    HU 3759 (front right)
    HE3760 (rear)

Any one used any of these??
    Im looking for a nice solid shock but not uncomfortable, i use the car for daily duties but want something that can control the King Springs
    I have a WhiteLine 24mm adjustable rear sway bar in at the moment but i find the car still exhibits too much body roll...
    Iv had coil overs on previous car and it actually made the car slower on the street cause of short travel and too hard spring rate...

Also any good places to get shocks from in Sydney's north would be great...

all will serve you well but bilstien will serve you best!

Quote Originally Posted by RedDjinn View Post
    all will serve you well but bilstien will serve you best!
    This^
    Bilstein b8s

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    This^
    Bilstein b8s

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    I been tossing up the idea of getting some blisten b8's

How much are they?

Send GSL a PM

Get the billies

May just have to bite the bullet an get the b8s
    no one has tried the tokico blues??
    I"l get a few quotes for the b8s and see if anyone here has done better...

8. Default

Ive got the Bilstein B8s and kings combo on my 3 MPS Gen II, very nice match

What is the difference between blistein b8 and HD?
    also what did you guys pay for the b8? Iv called two places and it seems like there pretty pricey at around $230 per shock...is this about right?
    I found a full set of HD for $550 from therpmstore.com
    And tokico HP blues at $89 each from edgemotorsport.com

anyone used pedders or monroe??? Think of a good shock for not too much outlay that can cope with lowered springs and rough Sydney roads...

You get what you pay for.

I had tokico shocks in my Pulsar GTi-R. May aswell have had a solid bar as shocks. But thats not to say the rates for MPS isn't more suitable.

Monroe once was really good, but they are now basically just OEM replacements.

Pedders in my experience, you can get them in 3 hardness', hard, too hard, and solid.

Bilstein has been tried and tested worldwide numerous time and been found to be about the best shock you can get.

I had Koni FSD on my MPS 3. Loved them, but i'm not sure you can actually get them for MPS 6. And no point ringing Koni australia and asking. They are useless.
    2013 Ford Focus ST - Performance Blue, Cobb AP

Gone 2006 3 MPS Sports - True Red, Koni FSD shocks, in dash OEM look Ebay GPS/DVD, Hypertech, RX8 Rims

Pretty sure you can get the konis for the 6 but you need to make adjustments for them to fit as they arent tube type or whatever it is, when I looked into it you need to do some cutting etc to fit the shock in a tube for mounting (i cant remember). Point is, b8s are the best for the 6.

any one used the Blistein B12 Kit??
    think they are the B6 Shocks with Eibach Pro springs...
    Saw a few on ebay from Germany and for around the $700-800 mark that is so much cheaper than getting them here....

ok so i bit the bullet and brought the B8's from GSL Rallisport (great advice and topnotch service)
    and by god....

They are good!!!

A good match for the lowered king springs.
    Gives the car a euro feel.
    No more pitching up and down over large humps or dips.
    Can take speed humps at a higher speed with out crashing on bump stops
    Changes direction so much sharper, flatter, less roll, mid corner bump is well controlled and weight transfer is very controlled.
    Car feels more solid and when you do hit a big bump it feels like a solid thud
    Car has lost all its annoying diagonal pitching

Front of car did raise a bit but i think it was because the old OEMs were done.... its actually worked out better as no more scrapes out the driveway
    It is stiffer and small bumps are felt more at low speeds. But once your up to speed it is smoother than OEM. The stiffness is mostly when at slow speeds (-50kph) and it is a bit jittery at times but all is forgiven when above 60kph and the car glides over imperfections with a solid feel.

Install was easy on the front, give it bout 2 hours for the front if you have the right tools, but i encounted a problem when one of the OEM shocks top bolt on the shock body would no crack and spun with the shock rod. Had to take it up to a shop to rattle gun and vice grip the shock rod...
    Rear was a pain.... those three 14mm nut that hold the shock mount bracket is the stupidest design and Mazda engineers should be jailed for that... dont they think ahead....every time i work on the Mazda i think about getting rid of it and buying a Toyota....

All in all it was well worth it and install is pretty straight forward, just make sure you have the right tools and as many different types of swivel joints and find a shit 14mm spanner you can cut down shorter. Also a strong LED head-touch the brighter the better. Makes life so much easier.