User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coilover decision ??

Quote Originally Posted by projectrracing View Post
    where do you live?

i live on the sunny coast and can install coilovers (not for a living).

Ooh do you reckon you'd be able to put in a set of blisten b8's and some king springs?

I'm currently thinking about getting some and my regular mechanic is very iffy about aftermarket parts
    My Baby 2005 Mazda6 MPS Dark Purple

Mods|Corksport SRI+Airbox|Corksport TIP|CP-e REM|JBR EngineMounts 80A|20% Tint|Autometer Cobalt Series Gauges (Boost & Water Temp & Oil Pressure)

Ordered|Corksport TMIC|Cobb AP|

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbstar View Post
    Ooh do you reckon you'd be able to put in a set of blisten b8's and some king springs?

I'm currently thinking about getting some and my regular mechanic is very iffy about aftermarket parts

The rear of the 6 is the biggest PITA ever built by Mazda.
    I'd rather rebuild a rotary before attempting the rear again.
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

I'd rather play with the rear of my 6 than rebuild a rotary again
    Cheers Todd

There's plenty of guides our there for installing coilovers, especially on the US forums.
    If you've got a basic knowledge of mechanics, and some basic tools (17-21mm sockets, breaker bar, impact sockets, etc) and a mate to help - you'll be fine.

Hoist makes life easier, but it's certainly do-able on axle stands.

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    The rear of the 6 is the biggest PITA ever built by Mazda.
    I'd rather rebuild a rotary before attempting the rear again.
    FIRST TIME AND LAST TIME doing a 6, Will's car took us 7 hours and adjusting as well!
    Quote Originally Posted by 12Lead View Post
    I'd rather play with the rear of my 6 than rebuild a rotary again
    Cheers Todd
    Take that back!
    2XS+ChipTorque=DeathStar

I with you ken but now we have to do a rsb ahhaha

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by bodyboardingbum View Post
    There's plenty of guides our there for installing coilovers, especially on the US forums.
    If you've got a basic knowledge of mechanics, and some basic tools (17-21mm sockets, breaker bar, impact sockets, etc) and a mate to help - you'll be fine.

Hoist makes life easier, but it's certainly do-able on axle stands.
    I fail mechanically.....so i'd rather leave it to the experts
    Mazda 3 MPS Gen II Emo Club | TEIN Street Advance CoilOvers | SPC Rear Camber Arms | DBA T3 Front Slotted Rotors | Remsa Front Pads | SURE 621g AGS Shift Knob | JBR 70A Rear Engine Mount | Autotech HPFP Internals | COBB AP Stage 1 | Turbosmart Kompact BPV | CorkSport SRI/TIP

Quote Originally Posted by GibbA View Post
    And in reply to the "what is involved in fitting them" bit?
    the spring is captive between the crossmember and lower arm and the shock pulls and keeps it all together.

undo lower bolt in shock, the hub assembly falls down, access to spring now can be had easily. unscrew upper shock bolts. (mazda 3s have bolts not nuts like most other cars). shock comes out. switch parts required. replace in reverse order.

may help to have a jack spare to push the hub assembly upwards to attach the lower bolt. or if installing coilovers, just wind it out to a long setting, attach bolt and the wind up.
    Last edited by projectrracing; 03-05-2013 at 08:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbstar View Post

never done a mazda 6 mps before. and by the sounds of it from a few of the responses, it doesn't sounds like a home job.

i also dont like doing spring/shock combos as they are alot more work to install that just slapping in a set of coilovers.

but if you are happy to attempt it, why not.

never done a mazda 6 mps before. and by the sounds of it from a few of the responses, it doesn't sounds like a home job.

i also dont like doing spring/shock combos as they are alot more work to install that just slapping in a set of coilovers.

but if you are happy to attempt it, why not.
    It can be done at home.
    Once you've done it, it always gets easier.
    I'll stick to fitting them to the 3's.
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

the spring is captive between the crossmember and lower arm and the shock pulls and keeps it all together.

undo lower bolt in shock, the hub assembly falls down, access to spring now can be had easily. unscrew upper shock bolts. (mazda 3s have bolts not nuts like most other cars). shock comes out. switch parts required. replace in reverse order.

may help to have a jack spare to push the hub assembly upwards to attach the lower bolt. or if installing coilovers, just wind it out to a long setting, attach bolt and the wind up.
    Thank you very much.
    --> 2008 Metro Grey Sports Pack Gen1 <--

CS SRI ll CS TIP ll CS AB ll 2XS SSP ll 2XS FMIC ll SURE Anchors ll Enkei RPF1's 17x9 +45 ll Lamin-X Fog Tint ll DBA T3 4000 series ll Remsa pads ll Braided lines
    CP-E S2 RMM ll Hankook RS3 235/40/17 ll Forge V1 BPV ll Whiteline RSB ll AutoTech HPFP
    ll Spin-on Conversion ll Rear Diffuser
    DGR Coilovers ll LED Replacement lights ll "08-MPS" plates ll Cobb AP V3 (E85) ll CP-e TBE ll OCC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12