User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Valves cleaned, car starts, dies after rough idle. Thoughts?

Default Valves cleaned, car starts, dies after rough idle. Thoughts?

Hey alll,
    @slixx and myself decided to do a valve clean on his genpu, install tigs and do an oil catch can this weekend. However, there are a few issues after putting everything back together.
    Valves were cleaned with throttle body cleaner, soaked (yes the valves were closed when cleaning), and vacuumed out with a shop vac. Air compressor was used to blow any other crap out of the valves.
    Car started fine but has a very rough idle, sounds like its hesitating and then eventually just dies regardless of giving it throttle.
    I've done this 2 previous times and my car included with no issues, just a bit hard to start after cleaning the valves.

Things we have tried (and triple checked)
    1. Checked all electrical connectors near the belts including the map sensor and other few plugs, cleaned with contact cleaner and re-connected.
    2. Cleaned MAF and put original spark plugs back in just for good effect, made no difference.
    3. Removed intake manifold again, made sure everything was on tight, catch can hoses are on pcv valve and inlet tight
    4. We did notice there is oil at the bottom of the PCV valve, could this be somehow stuck causing a vac leak?
    5. Have done a leak test through the system, was one at the bpv but fixed this, same thing. The spacer behind the egr pipe is in place.
    6. The black box on the top the intake manifold is seated correctly and the rubber bung is firmly in place
    7. Occasionally received a CEL P0171 lean on idle that we cleared, it seemed to appear again randomly, only thing I could think of was purge solenoid valve has crapped out
    8. Copper ground wire running through the harness by the hpfp was cleaned and re-seated

- Daz
    Last edited by dazza; 28-04-2013 at 07:05 PM.
    '05 6 MPS | BNR S3 | JBR 3.5" Intake | Corksport Airbox | CP-E 3.25" TMIC | M2 DP | CP-E CBE | CP-E/TT Diff Mounts | Autotech HPFP Internals | JBR REM, PMM, TMM | SURE Shortcut | SURE Countershift | SURE Anchors | Denso ITV22s | JBR TIGs | EGR Delete | Coolant Bypass | PTP Inj Seals | MD OCC | H&R Springs | Bilstein B8 Shocks | Car-LED Tails | Badgeless Grille | 6000k HIDs | OZ Ultraleggera 18x8 +48

Is the occ recirc or vta?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I'm going with air leak, safe guess lol

sounds like maf to me..

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    Is the occ recirc or vta?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Recirc

Peter "SLIXX"

Quote Originally Posted by MPS2NV View Post
    I'm going with air leak, safe guess lol
    We did a full air leak test. All fine

Peter "SLIXX"

Quote Originally Posted by Jrbris View Post
    sounds like maf to me..
    Maf was cleaned and checked

Peter "SLIXX"

-Spark plugs we changed to OEM
    -All relevant fuses were checked
    -EGR pipe had black oil on it when removed even though the EGR valve was shut (pulling plug method)
    -Catch Can confirmed sealed and closed

Peter "SLIXX"

If your confident the leak test shows no leaks from manifold area, maybe step to a comp check or cylinder leak test, maybe the cleaning process has allowed valve not to seat correctly or something silly...

Did you disconnect the battery? =D

Quote Originally Posted by DrZetard View Post
    Did you disconnect the battery? =D
    Yup. Did that too

Peter "SLIXX"

Dammit! It's always nice when its the simplest thing!!!!!!
    Plugs get crud on them? Must be a loose connection somewhere injector plugs maybe?

Dw guys I am coming over tomo to finish this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Harry View Post
    Dw guys I am coming over tomo to finish this.
    Thanks @Mr.Harry

Peter "SLIXX"

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

Sounds like what a vacuum leak would do, even the fault code. Make sure you haven't swapped 2 lines over somewhere. I wouldn't be plugs and stuff like that, the car would stay idling rough and pick up revs if the pedal pressed.

Your spark is fine so it can only be air or fuel...............

16. Default

Hi Dazza,

not sure i can assist but can only share my experience. I did the valve clean and installed the Intake gasket. Fired her up, no cels, took her for a drive and got a few CELs:
    * P0098 – IAT sensor 2 Circuit high
    * P0108 - MAP sensor circuit high input

Dazza,

Did you get any other trouble codes?

I may have to look at the MAP sensor, or the wires when i get time over the next few days. Perhaps the reinstallation of the TIP went awry and getting too close to the ECU harness?

Anyone else run into these codes?

Quote Originally Posted by allo80 View Post
    Hi Dazza,

not sure i can assist but can only share my experience. I did the valve clean and installed the Intake gasket. Fired her up, no cels, took her for a drive and got a few CELs:
    * P0098 – IAT sensor 2 Circuit high
    * P0108 - MAP sensor circuit high input

Dazza,

Did you get any other trouble codes?

I may have to look at the MAP sensor, or the wires when i get time over the next few days. Perhaps the reinstallation of the TIP went awry and getting too close to the ECU harness?

Anyone else run into these codes?
    Thanks Alex
    We received P0171 but it was outlived very quickly and only come on once or twice

When we first cleaned everything and put it all together the car started well. White smoke came out as expected, but the car idled well for about 10mins. As soon as I released the clutch to take off, it stalled
    I started the car again, but as I set off it died
    Then it wouldn't hold revs till eventually I killed the battery

Ever since that, the car starts (when the battery is still alive) and idles very roughly. I can rev the engine and hold revs, but eventually the response the accelerator disappears and the car dies. Car sounds sick

Peter "SLIXX"

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

18. Default

Quote Originally Posted by slixx View Post
    Thanks Alex
    We received P0171 but it was outlived very quickly and only come on once or twice

When we first cleaned everything and put it all together the car started well. White smoke came out as expected, but the car idled well for about 10mins. As soon as I released the clutch to take off, it stalled
    I started the car again, but as I set off it died
    Then it wouldn't hold revs till eventually I killed the battery

Ever since that, the car starts (when the battery is still alive) and idles very roughly. I can rev the engine and hold revs, but eventually the response the accelerator disappears and the car dies. Car sounds sick

Peter "SLIXX"
    Not good mate, hopefully our respective issues are sorted soon

Peter,silly question as i have no doubts you are reasonably competent, but is the check valve from the inlet of c/c line positioned correctly (arrow pointing towards the manifold).
    Im guessing you have the JBR c/c?????.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldhead View Post
    Peter,silly question as i have no doubts you are reasonably competent, but is the check valve from the inlet of c/c line positioned correctly (arrow pointing towards the manifold).
    Im guessing you have the JBR c/c?????.
    Jbr yep, check valve was pointing the right way, we have taken that back off and put it to stock just retesting

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    '05 6 MPS | BNR S3 | JBR 3.5" Intake | Corksport Airbox | CP-E 3.25" TMIC | M2 DP | CP-E CBE | CP-E/TT Diff Mounts | Autotech HPFP Internals | JBR REM, PMM, TMM | SURE Shortcut | SURE Countershift | SURE Anchors | Denso ITV22s | JBR TIGs | EGR Delete | Coolant Bypass | PTP Inj Seals | MD OCC | H&R Springs | Bilstein B8 Shocks | Car-LED Tails | Badgeless Grille | 6000k HIDs | OZ Ultraleggera 18x8 +48

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast