User Tag List

Thread: Low idle 400 - 500rpm Gen 1 mps 3

Default Low idle 400 - 500rpm Gen 1 mps 3

Hi there, I have been having a very low idle issue around 400-500 rpm and stalling on cold starts if I give no throttle input. once warm after a "spirited drive" if I jab the throttle it will return down to about 200 - 300 stumble around and gradually climb back to roughly 500rpm.

As far as I have read it looks like a possible vacuum leak and thats fair enough if i had intake modifications then I could back track my work. I should mention it is a bone stock gen 1 Mps 3 with a drop in k&n panel filter
    I have checked plugs and gapped accordingly, loosened and tightened all intake clamps

any help with possible ideas would be highly appreciated, i'm fairly experienced with cars but am no mechanic.

Ps: the car has been like this since the day I have had it so I can't pinpoint the time of when this started happening.

Cheers, Jeremy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	V6dy9pD.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	14059   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fm5omrt.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	14060  
    Last edited by DrZetard; 27-04-2013 at 10:11 AM.

I would check for vacuum leak first mate

Cheers fella! Any possible areas to check for that are prone to leaks on standard parts over time? Thing runs like a scalded cat on boost maybe that would be improved also! Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by DrZetard View Post
    Cheers fella! Any possible areas to check for that are prone to leaks on standard parts over time? Thing runs like a scalded cat on boost maybe that would be improved also! Thanks again
    Main culprits are the silicone tubing on the hot pipe of the turbo and the cold pipe to the throttle body, aswell as the recirculating pipe from the BPV to the TIP.
    Good luck

Ahhhh no good fella, pulled battery out inspected every hose and clamp I could see removed/replaced complete intake and cleaned the maf sensor which was filthy also, still struggling to idle.

Thanks rayd, all sorted now mate ended up being a gummed up throttle body not letting much air pass the butterfly at idle, looked fine from the front but once it was removed it wasn't hard to see why there was an issue! Thanks again

What's a gummed upthrottle body?

Dirty dirty dirty! Real gummy substance sticky thick and black
    Last edited by DrZetard; 27-04-2013 at 07:52 PM.