User Tag List

Thread: MPS 6 Drivetrain Oils

1. Default MPS 6 Drivetrain Oils

Hi All,

I have recently purchased a MPS6 and have notice there is a really annoying droning sound which appears to be coming from the drivetrain (hard to tell exactly where from so I will just replace all the fluids).
    I have had a look through the definitive gear oil thread however almost all of the posts were relating to MPS3's.

So, are any MPS6 owners able to chime in on what oils you have used for your drivetrain (gearbox, transfer case, rear diff) and whether it was noisy/improved shifting etc.

Cheers

What sort of noise?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12845

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

4. Default

The noise is almost like a "droney" sound, similar to tyre roar noise.
    When i first realised the noise i thought it was the cheapo tyres but have since had them replaced and ballanced/alligned which has made no difference.
    I havent heard the wong wong but i can imagine it is similar.

If anyone has experienced anything similar i would be keen to know more details

Does it go away when you lift the handbrake one click? If so, most likely buggered diff mount bushings. Could be a worn transfer case, if you drain that look for alot of metal shavings in the oil. What's your tyre pressure? Should be 38-40 all round.
    I have noise from my diff at the moment, I know its that because its gone when I pull the handbrake, 99% sure my diff mounts are stuffed so waiting to put new ones in. Regarding oils, I use Redline MT-90 fluids for all 3, shifts were better but the diff noise remains.
    Last edited by dazza; 26-04-2013 at 09:24 AM.
    '05 6 MPS | BNR S3 | JBR 3.5" Intake | Corksport Airbox | CP-E 3.25" TMIC | M2 DP | CP-E CBE | CP-E/TT Diff Mounts | Autotech HPFP Internals | JBR REM, PMM, TMM | SURE Shortcut | SURE Countershift | SURE Anchors | Denso ITV22s | JBR TIGs | EGR Delete | Coolant Bypass | PTP Inj Seals | MD OCC | H&R Springs | Bilstein B8 Shocks | Car-LED Tails | Badgeless Grille | 6000k HIDs | OZ Ultraleggera 18x8 +48

6. Default

Thanks for the advice dazza, i am not sure how good of an idea it is to try the handbrake as it is only really prominent when the car is moving > 50k/hr
    I am assuming i can inspect the diff mount bushings visually when the car is jacked up? if so what am i looking for?

Im hoping that the diff or tansfer case arent buggered, the car doesnt even have 100K on the clock!

Quote Originally Posted by discodave View Post
    Thanks for the advice dazza, i am not sure how good of an idea it is to try the handbrake as it is only really prominent when the car is moving > 50k/hr
    I am assuming i can inspect the diff mount bushings visually when the car is jacked up? if so what am i looking for?

Im hoping that the diff or tansfer case arent buggered, the car doesnt even have 100K on the clock!
    Lift the handbrake 1 click it will not pull the car up. It wikl just disengage the diff so if the noise stops you know its that. You won't be able to see the bushings they are tucked under the diff

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by dazza; 29-04-2013 at 09:43 PM.
    '05 6 MPS | BNR S3 | JBR 3.5" Intake | Corksport Airbox | CP-E 3.25" TMIC | M2 DP | CP-E CBE | CP-E/TT Diff Mounts | Autotech HPFP Internals | JBR REM, PMM, TMM | SURE Shortcut | SURE Countershift | SURE Anchors | Denso ITV22s | JBR TIGs | EGR Delete | Coolant Bypass | PTP Inj Seals | MD OCC | H&R Springs | Bilstein B8 Shocks | Car-LED Tails | Badgeless Grille | 6000k HIDs | OZ Ultraleggera 18x8 +48

8. Default

Oh ok.
    Thanks i will give that a shot

In addition to changing the oil i was thinking of adding in some Nulon G70 to the gearbox, transfer case and rear diff.
    Manual Gearbox and Diff Treatment- Nulon Australia
    I have successfully used it in all my previous cars (and it always made a huge difference, in particular when shifting after cold starts).

Has anyone used this in their MPS6? and if so did you notice anything?

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    Lift the handbrake 1 click it will not pull the car up. It wikl just disengage the diff so if the noise stops you know its that. You won't be able to see the bushings they are tucked under the diff

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

9. Default

Well i tried the handbrake up 1 click (light on) while driving and it made no difference what so ever to the noise.
    I will try changing the fluid in each of the driveline boxes 1 at a time and add in some nulon G70 as well and see if any of those fix the problem.
    Unless anyone has any other suggestions?

EDIT:
    After speaking with the Redline tech rep he recommended:
    - Redline 75W90 Gear oil for both the transfer case and the Rear Diff
    - Redline MTL (80W) for the gearbox. He was aware that Mazda use THE MT-90 but mentioned the MTL would be much better in terms of cold shifting and would outperform the MT-90.

He also mentoined that if you were using redline oils to NEVER add in Nulon G-70 as it can interfere with the redline oil chemical components.

I am going to pick these all up tommmorow (not cheap!) and will let everyone know how it all goes
    Last edited by discodave; 03-05-2013 at 02:25 PM.

I know this is old thread but don't wanna start new one.... I also am going to do transfer and diff flush the stuff I have nulon 80w-90 plus nulon g70 are these ok for both the transfer and rear diff?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    I know this is old thread but don't wanna start new one.... I also am going to do transfer and diff flush the stuff I have nulon 80w-90 plus nulon g70 are these ok for both the transfer and rear diff?
    Thanks
    They will work but you're best using a full synthetic especially for the trans. Nulon smooth shift full syn is the best I've found as well as many others here with a 6 and I've tried a few. You don't need G70 its basically a Teflon additive and won't do shit except thicken the oil, its snake oil IMO. You may want a friction modifier in the TC and diff since it's LSD. Something like redline friction modifier will work. This is only if the oil doesnt already have it. Redline oil does but i don't think nulon does.
    Last edited by dazza; 27-08-2014 at 02:15 PM.

Thanks @dazza
    Doesnt say mineral,semi or full synthetic any where on the bottle...just assumed it was coz it was with the penrite semi syn..bloody repco
    if they can't exchange it ill throw it in the diff and look around for some full syn stuff.
    just to clarify it is ok for use in both the transfer case and rear diff?

Also so, I am liking the look of those tail lights.

13. Default

Have you got an update on this @kiwi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Thanks @dazza
    Doesnt say mineral,semi or full synthetic any where on the bottle...just assumed it was coz it was with the penrite semi syn..bloody repco
    if they can't exchange it ill throw it in the diff and look around for some full syn stuff.
    just to clarify it is ok for use in both the transfer case and rear diff?

Also so, I am liking the look of those tail lights.
    I mean you can run semi syn it just won't last as long. All penrite stuff is good, try their full syn 75w90 gl5 for the trans and diff if you like.
    Taillights are from f4d lighting

Yea I got some penrite full syn from repco... They had it out the back and you had to ask for it... But it's in and car is running smoothly... Just wish I had a car lift so I can get my fat ass underneath