User Tag List

Thread: Is USA wheel HP measured different to Aus

Default Is USA wheel HP measured different to Aus

Might be a dumb question but comparing the HP and Torque some of the guys are getting with our Ecutek guys including myself seems like there's a huge difference on the MSF forum with AP Etunes it's not just the virtual dynos but youtubes of roller dynos in the USA.
    For example a recent tune done by Atvfreek (he seems to have these things on a string) just a test pipe and intake with there 91 octane our 95 octane 290hp/323ftlb which converts to our 213kw/435nm

My Ecutek tune with 98 octane and same mods as above around 200kw/412nm = USA 272hp/303ft/lb

With dump pipes they seem to be pushing around 240kw and 480nm in our measurements.

Going by driving my own car with the torque figures for the mods i have is shit loads, just finding it hard to imagine how they are getting a fair bit more on equal or lower octane.

I am in now way having a shot at our tuners because they know their stuff.

i've read and heard on other Aussie forums that US dynos deliberately overstate the results to read higher numbers because that's just what their customers want to see to boost their egos, just what i've heard, no idea how true that might be

Their petrol is a lot better than ours, it allows more timing to be dialed in without knock showing up, which converts to more power.

They also sometimes quote the uncorrected power figures which don't account for altitude and ambient temp. Which sometimes gives a higher reading

Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    i've read and heard on other Aussie forums that US dynos deliberately overstate the results to read higher numbers because that's just what their customers want to see to boost their egos, just what i've heard, no idea how true that might be
    'merica!
    @rayd I was talking to a fella who owns a sp23 and in his area of America the best petrol he can get is less than our e10
    of course I have no idea what area he lived In and I'd assume it wouldn't be like that everywhere
    He practically wet himself when I told him we have 98 :P
    My Baby 2005 Mazda6 MPS Dark Purple

Mods|Corksport SRI+Airbox|Corksport TIP|CP-e REM|JBR EngineMounts 80A|20% Tint|Autometer Cobalt Series Gauges (Boost & Water Temp & Oil Pressure)

Ordered|Corksport TMIC|Cobb AP|

@rayd May explain it, i have enough unusable power with wheelspin in gears 1 and 2, and i shall add i envy having all 4 paws on the road u have, would feel amazing.
    Some of the guys that do logs with etunes over there they get wheel spin planting it in 4th .
    Last edited by shaneski; 25-04-2013 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbstar View Post
    'merica!
    @rayd I was talking to a fella who owns a sp23 and in his area of America the best petrol he can get is less than our e10
    of course I have no idea what area he lived In and I'd assume it wouldn't be like that everywhere
    But what he obviously doesn't realise is their fuel rating is different to ours.
    87AKI (american) = 91RON
    91AKI = 95RON
    93AKI = 98RON
    2013 Ford Focus ST - Performance Blue, Cobb AP

Gone 2006 3 MPS Sports - True Red, Koni FSD shocks, in dash OEM look Ebay GPS/DVD, Hypertech, RX8 Rims

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbstar View Post
    'merica!
    Our fuel is mearured in RON the USA fuel is measured in AKI eg Australia 98 premium is = to 94 for them

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Our fuel is mearured in RON the USA fuel is measured in AKI eg Australia 98 premium is = to 94 for them
    Thats why in my original thread i put what Aus fuel and torque etc measures to theirs, could be possible that the Etuners there own and have tinkerd non stop with their own cars and do nothing else but other customers Mazdas so they have the Maz platform dialed in to a T.

Quote Originally Posted by shaneski View Post
    Thats why in my original thread i put what Aus fuel and torque etc measures to theirs, could be possible that the Etuners there own and have tinkerd non stop with their own cars and do nothing else but other customers Mazdas so they have the Maz platform dialed in to a T.
    Pretty much...
    Atvfreek is the person who did my car
    The guys in the states do a (IMO) better job than local tuners... Just due to the fact they live and breathe our cars
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    Pretty much...
    Atvfreek is the person who did my car
    The guys in the states do a (IMO) better job than local tuners... Just due to the fact they live and breathe our cars
    How does it drive, he seems to manage the power band so it don't just hit at once .

They realy push the envelope with there tunes, thats why lots of zoomzoom boom on the speed forums.or mabey they have some special unicorn dust to boost dyno numbers, huge difference between AUS and US.

12. Default

They realy push the envelope with there tunes, thats why lots of zoomzoom boom on the speed forums.or mabey they have some special unicorn dust to boost dyno numbers, huge difference between AUS and US.
    Not really they seem to have now mastered lower octane tuning by rich afrs up high to use the fuel to cool the combustion.

Quote Originally Posted by shaneski View Post
    Not really they seem to have now mastered lower octane tuning by rich afrs up high to use the fuel to cool the combustion.
    I always thought you had lean out AFRs to get HP

14. Default

I always thought you had lean out AFRs to get HP
    Like Sarcastic one said they live and breath the DISI platforms our tuners might go by the theory that works with other designs, reading Freeks and Lex(sratified tuning) methods of how they tune and the results throws old school methods out the window.
    quoted from freek himself... You don't need a crazy aggressive tune to make power if you have good supporting mods. A good flowing intake, intercooler, and test pipe will yield great results. Then on 91 the key is not too much boost and slightly richer afr, that will keep combustion temps cooler and allow the car to still make good power. If you have an overly aggressive map that is constantly fighting kr, then you simply aren't going to have a smooth curve and solid power band
    Last edited by shaneski; 25-04-2013 at 05:35 PM.

I would love to know what they do different than our tuners to get such high numbers

16. Default

Im guessing matching the timing to the boost acuratley at the rev ranges, ours may shove increased variables along a broad range of rpm. Again i must stress i am not puting shit on the Aus tuners, the guys that do Etunes in USA own and drive these cars .