User Tag List

Thread: New member and hopefully soon to be 3 MPS owner.

1. Smile New member and hopefully soon to be 3 MPS owner.

Hi all,

Just wanted to introduce myself and say thanks for all the info I've read on this forum over the last couple months. I'm looking to buy a Gen 1 3 MPS (or possibly an XR5 - I know, I know ) in the next few months and the information you have all contributed has been great.

Finally got around to organising a test drive yesterday - what a blast! Even more fun than I had hoped. Absolute little ripper. Not sure it's worth the 17K that the dealer is asking but not real surprise there. Great service history but ideally I'm looking for one with a bit less than 135000 kms. From what I understand the car market has really slowed down and cars aren't shifting so I might be in a good position to make a lower offer and grab a bargain.

* Side note * I'd read quite a few of you saying that the torque steer issue had been a bit overstated and I guess I figured you might have been, well a little biased. Honestly I didn't find it to be a big deal at all. Realistically I was probably only giving it 80-90% (not my car, busy public roads etc.) but still it was much less of an issue than I thought it might be.

So anyway thanks again for the info. The reason I decided to bite the bullet and join up despite not owning an MPS yet was based on the quality of the discussions you have here. Just gotta organise a drive in the Focus now so I can make my final decision. I actually think I prefer the look of the Ford ever so slightly (in one of the decent colours, and pass on the racing stripes thanks) particularly the factory alloys (I'm a wheel guy, lovvvve me some wheels. Seems like I might also be a bracket man also. Lovvve me some brackets) but it's not by much and lack of cruise control might be a deal breaker, especially now that it seems my worry about torque steer has been eased.

Cheers,

T.

Hi MR T and welcome, I was in the same situation as you, I was torn between the Xr5 or the MPS,
    What sold me was the MPS has a LSD and the upgrade path to 200kw ATW is cheaper. Tune and DP should get you there where in XR5 was a lot more, torque steer is overrated in MPS, A REM really helps with torque steer.
    Whith that many KM I would get a mechanic who knows the MPS to check it over because they can suffer from smokey turbos, timing chain and vvt actuator problems

3. Default

Thanks mate, exactly the sort of information I need. Closer to the time of purchase when I'm getting a mechanic to check out cars I'll put out a request for tips on specific things to look for with a 3 MPS.

Also - I had no idea that the rear engine mount was associated with torque steer. Thanks for that tip, helped me do a whole lot of reading on the topic this afternoon.

No probs, good luck with your purchase

Good luck with your purchase! Hope you end up in an MPS. One of my mates has an XR5. Cool cars for sure! But, the lack of cruise control and driver's foot rest definitely helped turn me off it though, when I was looking.

Great intro mate and I have no doubt we'll be hearing more from you!

Whether you buy a XR5 or 3MPS, you are always welcome here..

We have a few XR5 members on this site who might be able to help you out.

Thanks for the great intro....

Happy Motoring
    duglet

I picked up a 2005 6mps with 85,000 on the clock for $17,000
    From a old man with a great service history

Hope this helps and welcome man

Test drive both.. But make sure you go through some tight twisties than flog it on exit, you will find the mps better I did. In standard form I found the MPS in the corners same as the WRX, its not until you get 200+kw atw you know about awd lol. BUT in saying that I have more than that than upgraded the tyres to Pirelli P zero's and fix 98% of the problem.

Should add this was in a Gen2

11. Default

Hey, I am looking at a 2009-2011 mps and just trying to find out what the main differences are between the bl and the bk models???

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    Hey, I am looking at a 2009-2011 mps and just trying to find out what the main differences are between the bl and the bk models???
    Nothing major mainly cosmetic , BK is a real sleeper I've shocked a lot of people.