User Tag List

Thread: Black Mazda emblem painting

Default Black Mazda emblem painting

I've seen some black mazda emblems for $135.00 on the internet from Australia. and was thinking, there has to be a cheaper method of getting black emblems. Painting the ones on the car should be fine shouldn't it? As in take them off and paint them.

Just wondering if this would be just as good as buying the set for $135 and what would be the best to paint them with. eg either black paint or some sort of special paint.

Blog Entries

its not as easy as just painting over them...you have to strip them back properly, sand them then paint then clear coat...a bit of work but if you are handy with paint and know what your doing you shouldn't have a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by tone View Post
    I've seen some black mazda emblems for $135.00 on the internet from Australia. and was thinking, there has to be a cheaper method of getting black emblems. Painting the ones on the car should be fine shouldn't it? As in take them off and paint them.

Just wondering if this would be just as good as buying the set for $135 and what would be the best to paint them with. eg either black paint or some sort of special paint.
    Tone i did my front recently and am about to do the rears its really easy...remove it give it a quick sand....soak it in bleach for a couple of days this removes the chrome....another light sand ... touch up paint from super cheap(ive used midnight black,then matte black, resprayed last night with black mica which i think looks the best.....) do three light coats and use a hair dryer to speed up drying time between coats....re - fit....

Im a total car noob but found this so super easy...i would highly recommend doing it yourself
    マツダスピード

Quote Originally Posted by LYNCHY View Post
    Tone i did my front recently and am about to do the rears its really easy...remove it give it a quick sand....soak it in bleach for a couple of days this removes the chrome....another light sand ... touch up paint from super cheap(ive used midnight black,then matte black, resprayed last night with black mica which i think looks the best.....) do three light coats and use a hair dryer to speed up drying time between coats....re - fit....

Im a total car noob but found this so super easy...i would highly recommend doing it yourself
    I think i will definately be giving this a shot. sounds easy enough. will just have to be driving around badgeless for a little while. no problem with that though.

Is taking off the badge is as easy as getting some fishing wire and WD40?

I think i will definately be giving this a shot. sounds easy enough. will just have to be driving around badgeless for a little while. no problem with that though.

Is taking off the badge is as easy as getting some fishing wire and WD40?
    The front badge has clips holing it on ...just put your hand back there and you can feel them.....as for the back i'd just do the same as i did for my door strips.....hair drier to heat up the double sided tape and fishing line to remove it. Kepp in mind you'll need to get some 3M double sided tape to put the rears back on.....

If your going for the blacked out look i just did my side indicators, rear reflectors, and spoiler brake light for $14
    マツダスピード

Quote Originally Posted by LYNCHY View Post
    The front badge has clips holing it on ...just put your hand back there and you can feel them.....as for the back i'd just do the same as i did for my door strips.....hair drier to heat up the double sided tape and fishing line to remove it. Kepp in mind you'll need to get some 3M double sided tape to put the rears back on.....

If your going for the blacked out look i just did my side indicators, rear reflectors, and spoiler brake light for $14
    Yeah i want to go for the blacked out look. for the reflectors did you buy the covers for them? or do it all yourself?

Yeah i want to go for the blacked out look. for the reflectors did you buy the covers for them? or do it all yourself?

Did it all myself...the rear spoiler brake light is perfect IMO.... So so so happy with the result!

I origionally bought clear ones but since have blacked them out and while i was at it blacked out the old oem ones, still have them if your interested ???there pretty damn good i think...

seems like i could start a lucritive buisness
    マツダスピード

Blog Entries

I know of a few guys in the USA who have started doing that as Group Buy kinda thing...getting a stack of badges off people and doing them all at once.

ive done my rear badge, id never pay that much just for a black badge.

I did a bit of sanding, sprayed light coats of primer, then sprayed black. Hope it sticks if not, the $3 cans of paint will get used again.

Ill take a pic once I clean the car and get shots while the car is clean and to test the paint sticks when high pressure water added.

Even try Nightshade with a few coats, this actually holds up to high pressure water and ive had my rear "mazda" badge sprayed for a few years now

A member on OMC with a red 2 has blacked his badges as it matches well with the black rims...I'm old skool I like chrome...

Quote Originally Posted by Team Green View Post
    A member on OMC with a red 2 has blacked his badges as it matches well with the black rims...I'm old skool I like chrome...
    chrome =

Now black out your badges to match your new rims .....
    マツダスピード

Blog Entries

I love the blacked out look but I'm with TG looooooove my chrome

Damn, you beat me to it Al.

!!