User Tag List

Thread: MPS6 Thrust Bearing (throwout) play after install, broken fork?

Default MPS6 Thrust Bearing (throwout) play after install, broken fork?

Hi guys

So I've not been on the forums in ages. But I'm back! *Cue single clap and coughing*

Anyhoo, I've spent the weekend pulling the transfer case and gearbox from my 6. The fun started when a soft clutch pedal suddenly became no clutch, and it was discovered that my thrust bearing had given way.

So I bought an ACT kit from the states, and sat down to fit it. The flywheel and clutch all went in fine, and the bearing looked ok when I put it in (but granted, I've not done a thrust bearing before. On old nissans, you just usually pay fifty bucks for another gearbox haha!). But when we slipped the box back on to the car, we noticed that there's still the same level of excessive play in the input fork as when the dead bearing came out.

My question is now, is there a spring or some sort of tensioner on the fork which may have broken? Or is it meant to be sloppy and loose until the slave cyl is back on there and pressurized? My mate tried to move the clutch in using a biiig spanner on the end of the fork and moving it in the way the slave would, but he couldn't shift the clutch and figured the fork could be maxing out it's travel on it's own.

Have I put the bearing in the wrong way? Or is there just play and it's how it should be? I haven't been able to find anything online about how this bearing should look and feel once it's been re-installed.

Cheers!
    Last edited by MadAussie; 22-04-2013 at 05:03 PM.
    MPS6

So... I've heard so far that there is some level of play to be expected in the fork. At a guess, I have 1-2cm lateral play, and the length of the input shaft back and forwards that it can move freely. Should this fork be stiff, hard to slide, or only move forwards and back up the input shaft? Or, as another member here put it, should I expect it to be loosely fitting like a lady of the night?

As long as all he parts are correct and in good working shape;
    before you align the box onto the engine it's important to make sure the thrust bearing is located in the clutch fork correctly and the fork is clipped over the pivot inside the bell housing, depending on the throw out carrier you may have the oem type which has clips or a machined type with flat machined sides that have no way to permantly fix the fork to the thrust bearing carrier so it's important when fitting the box that the fork and thrust be seated and set back in the bell housing and no desturbed while fitting bell housing bolts. The clutch fork and bearing will feel sloppy in most cases as its not secured to the pressure plate, once the slave cylinder is fitted you should find that every thing seems ok, the slave cylinder will take a little effort to refit and that should ensure correct engagement of those parts.
    Given the explaination of why your replacing it I would check to see/ confirm that your old pressure plate is ok.
    Every man should have a V8 ute.....with a Chev badge.....and a Southern Cross sticker! Mods? What mods?

Thanks guys,
    Well I've fitted the slave and as you've said, it seems to have seated the bearing and is engaging how I would have expected it to.

The readon for removing the old bearing was due to it having exploded on me... The bearings came out of the race and it was in all respects rooted. So I bought an entire ACT 6 puck kit. Everything's been replaced, I was just uncertain on how it was meant to feel.

Thanks for the input, and here's hoping that when it's back together it all works

-Aaron
    MPS6

Update... The car is complete.. and aside from a weeping slave cylinder, the car goes great.

So the next question, is the mps6 slave cylinder the same part number as the regular 6?

Cheers!

Can't help with that one lol