User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My first tunehouse experience and some car related concerns

Cool My first tunehouse experience and some car related concerns

Hi all,
    First of all, Big thanks to Ambrose ( Ambrose @ Tunehouse ) and Tony for servicing my car at such a short notice. I contacted Ambrose on late Friday afternoon in relation to suspected turbo leak (which unfortunately still not sorted out, read below) to which he gladly told me to come in Saturday morning.

Upon arrival, I requested for TH plus service if possible which they were happy to do. Three hours later, the service was completed. Tony conducted a smoke test on the car and notified me that there are no visible leaks which I was really pleased about. Also love the professionalism of tony and Ambrose. Upon completion of service, Tony asked me to have a look at the car whilst he pointed out possible issues. Now this is where the issues start.

I have recently bought a 2009 Gen 2 mazda3 MPS with 36K on it. Last week, I noticed that the vehicle was hesitating in 2, 3, 4 gears whilst under acceleration and boost gauge was only filing up to 80% mark which led me into believing that there may be a turbo leak however that is not the case anymore. Hopefully, someone can provide an insight into this matter and how would I go on sorting it out.

Anyways back to possible issues. Tony pointed out that the car has been definitely tracked due to worn front rotors and brake pads and must be replaced (Thinking of DBA or RDA rotors??). He pointed out that the car’s engine has been taken apart due to witness marks on the screw bolts underneath the car. Upon hearing this, I was really pissed off. Unfortunately, I cannot do much about it as I bought the car privately. I know this can be a long shot but has anyone seen this car on track or around san souci area where the owner used to live before. I can give the registration if anyone can help me out.

In the end, Big reps goes to tunehouse for looking after the car. The only issue I would say that there is no cost breakdown on the invoice as it only shows the cost of the service. I pretty sure Ambrose would be able to help me out here.

PS: Ambrose, Please thank Tony for a great coffee from me.

Cheers
    Gus

You have any photos, Makes identification easier

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    You have any photos, Makes identification easier
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...5&l=358e01c56f

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...9&l=ae1af56387

Link not working

Default My first tunehouse experience and some car related concerns

Quote Originally Posted by gurusev View Post
    I have recently bought a 2009 Gen 2 mazda3 MPS with 36K on it. Last week, I noticed that the vehicle was hesitating in 2, 3, 4 gears whilst under acceleration and boost gauge was only filing up to 80% mark which led me into believing that there may be a turbo leak however that is not the case anymore. Hopefully, someone can provide an insight into this matter and how would I go on sorting it out.
    I have a 2009 3 MPS Gen II

My boost gauge also only goes to 80% in gears 1 and 2. I believe this is a restriction placed on the ECU

I am also getting hesitation on WOT in gears 3 and 4, but I believe this has to do with me fitting iridium spark plugs that are not gapped correctly

I noticed if I drive my car when cold, the car hesitates as well on normal driving.

I'm gapping my spark plugs today, hope it fixes the problem

Peter "SLIXX"

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

6. Default

Only guessing here, but is the car running stock boost? Could be bpv leaking at high boost?

Get TH to tune it problem fixed. Its possible that the BPV is leaking as it will not show up in a smoke test, as the smoke will feed back into the intake. In saying that my stock BPV was tuned to 19.5psi with 40000ks on it and worked fine

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Link not working
    Pictures posted above.Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slixx View Post
    I have a 2009 3 MPS Gen II

My boost gauge also only goes to 80% in gears 1 and 2. I believe this is a restriction placed on the ECU

I am also getting hesitation on WOT in gears 3 and 4, but I believe this has to do with me fitting iridium spark plugs that are not gapped correctly

I noticed if I drive my car when cold, the car hesitates as well on normal driving.

I'm gapping my spark plugs today, hope it fixes the problem

Peter "SLIXX"
    Thanks for that Peter, Maybe the spark plugs needs to get changed, however TH boys didnt say anything about yesterday. Also the boost doesn even hit 50% in first and second gears but hesitates in 3,4,5 gears whilst boosting upto 75% mark. I am thinking of AP to data log and go from there..

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSoul View Post
    Only guessing here, but is the car running stock boost? Could be bpv leaking at high boost?
    Yeah bud, Its running stock standard however I do suspect there is a boost leak at higher rpms but was not revealed in a smoke test by TH.

Quote Originally Posted by RedDjinn View Post
    Get TH to tune it problem fixed. Its possible that the BPV is leaking as it will not show up in a smoke test, as the smoke will feed back into the intake. In saying that my stock BPV was tuned to 19.5psi with 40000ks on it and worked fine
    Thanks RedDjinn, Yeah thats what TH recommended but for about $1900, its a bit steep. As stated earlier, I am thinking of getting cobb AP for tune and data logging purposes. What you guys reckon??

Any other ways to fixing it up..

Keep in mind that while the $1,900 is a bit steep, TH will have it on the dyno and should be able to see anything which is causing a problem, as well as giving your car a proper tune.

Cobb AP is definitely cheaper, but you are looking at weeks or possibly months until the issue is resolved, compared to dropping it off at TH one day and picking it up 1-2 days later after Jim has made sure it's all working smoothly. Price vs convenience!

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesa2z View Post
    Keep in mind that while the $1,900 is a bit steep, TH will have it on the dyno and should be able to see anything which is causing a problem, as well as giving your car a proper tune.

Cobb AP is definitely cheaper, but you are looking at weeks or possibly months until the issue is resolved, compared to dropping it off at TH one day and picking it up 1-2 days later after Jim has made sure it's all working smoothly. Price vs convenience!
    Amen..
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

12. Default

I think you're looking into this a little too much. First of all the PCM is programmed to limit boost in first and second gear, so I would say that 80% of max boost in first and second gear is perfectly normal. Second of all, if the vehicle had a boost leak it would show up in all gears, not just first and second gears.

In regards to your hesitation, my MPS has the exact same hesitation, when I get back to work (off work ATM with a back injury due to a car accident) I plan on plugging the IDS into the vehicle and nutting out the cause of the issue - However, due to the fact that it only happens under certain high load conditions I'm not too fussed by it.

Hesitation in 3's is usually down to spark plugs

If you have problems now on the stock tune don't tune it. Fix the problems first you will compound the problems.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Wow an 09 car with only 36k on the clock sounds too good to be true? I wonder what their reason was for pulling the engine apart. And for selling it for that matter heh.

16. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesa2z View Post

At this stage, I only looking into fixing the issues. Thats the reason, I believe $1900 was a bit steep. Otherwise, It not bad considering the tune. What would you guys suggest in terms of fixing up the issue other than TH Dyno?? AP datalog??

Quote Originally Posted by bullet dust View Post
    I think you're looking into this a little too much. First of all the PCM is programmed to limit boost in first and second gear, so I would say that 80% of max boost in first and second gear is perfectly normal. Second of all, if the vehicle had a boost leak it would show up in all gears, not just first and second gears.

In regards to your hesitation, my MPS has the exact same hesitation, when I get back to work (off work ATM with a back injury due to a car accident) I plan on plugging the IDS into the vehicle and nutting out the cause of the issue - However, due to the fact that it only happens under certain high load conditions I'm not too fussed by it.
    Mate, I was thinking the same in the first place, however after driving one of my mates GEN 1 mps, I do suspect there is hesitation in higher RPM when foot down. First and second gears don't seem to be the issue anymore, Its the third gear and afterwards where boost is not filling more than 70-80% mark. Same here, It does not affect my day to day driving as I drive like an nanna
    Excuse my noobiness but what does IDS means??

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    Hesitation in 3's is usually down to spark plugs
    Should'nt be all through the RPM ranges or just higher end??

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    If you have problems now on the stock tune don't tune it. Fix the problems first you will compound the problems.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanks, Thats I am planning to do first. I know TH got business to run but recommending dyno tune to solve the problem..

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    Wow an 09 car with only 36k on the clock sounds too good to be true? I wonder what their reason was for pulling the engine apart. And for selling it for that matter heh.
    Mate, I was suspicious at first aswell but I dont think so you can wind back the digital odometers so I was not that concerned at that time. When TH boys told me about the engine, I was f$$$ing pissed off. I would love to find out.

Is it possible to contact mazda dealer and ask them about the history of the vehicle??
    Cheers

17. Default

Update: Just spoken with the mazda dealer in relation to the vehicle history who stated that the gearbox was changed based on the owner request that it is too noisy. It may be the reason that there are witness marks on the bolts under the vehicle..

If the log book has been stamped then definitely contact the workshop that did it. Not knowing sucks heh.

19. Default

Yeah, I contacted the mazda dealer who serviced the vehicle on three occasions and asked them about the history. They did not wanted to tell me at first but gave away at the end.

BTW I am thinking of buying Stoptech or RDa rotors for the vehicle, Any places would you recommend other than GSL

Ok so the gearbox was changed.... Not necessary but that's good to know. And it's a hell of a lot better than someone who had their engine rebuilt due to a bent rod.... Strange tho, I wonder if the gearbox even needed to be replaced....

GSL are about as good as it gets unless you've got a buddy who works at an auto spares store.
    Last edited by Reedy; 22-04-2013 at 08:54 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast