User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preparation for boost mod !

1. Default Preparation for boost mod !

Hey guys,

I have everything ready to boost my 6 in regard to boost ONLY !
    Is there anything i should upgrade to support the boost (set at safe boost) before i do the deed !

And how are you increasing boost?

Conrods

Depends how much boost you plan on adding. Much more than 18psi on stock and all you do is create more heat rather than more power. High boost may require a better intercooler to optimize all that new hot boosted air or else you are wasting a lot of that opportunity. But more boost can increase fuel demand especially at higher rpm so you may need to consider fuel pump upgrades. You may require a tuneable BOV to replace the fixed setting BOV so you can determine how much air is discharged and how much is retained to keep the turbo capable of spooling up again promptly after gear changes. Improving other intake areas is always a good idea, with an SRI and pod filter a minimum, and then a new turbo inlet pipe of larger diameter and less restriction than stock. Stay under 17psi would be my recommendation for a quiet and inexpensive life.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Too much boost!

Sent from Samsung Note 2 LTE

6. Default

@bd581 - With an electronic boost controller @Doug_MPS6 - I have got a Cp-e 4inch TIP + Cp-e CAI which i will also install ! So that should help with the boost pressure + heat. FMIC is an option i have been thinking about .. just need to sort out my funds. I have a turbosmart BOV FULL RECIRC that is fitted. I have got accessories like an APEXI turbo timer + a CF boost gauge (good brand, cant remember name). I am not aiming too high .. safe boost like i said, nothing that will turn my car into the pic above @Yeldarb ! haha

ECU tune?

8. Default

mandatory or a recommendation ?

I'll say mandatory.
    Good ECU tune will do everything your after and do it safely.

I think you should do some more reading before you spend any more money or do anything

You are going to blow your engine very quickly unless you start doing some PROPER research. Unless you like the idea of driving around with a live grenade under your bonnet, I suggest you take the time to educate yourself properly before doing anything.

4" intake haha you will need the smaller battery tray and smaller battery, then you need a tune for the change in size to the MAF... Just sell everything you have, buy a COBB AP and HPFP and go from there...

Um.... You have cpe's big turbo TIP on a stock turbo?
    4" wont fit on a 2.5" inlet

Also, don't suggest just turning up boost without also touching ignition timing... These cars aren't as simple as old school turbos (rb20/25's etc) just cranking up boost without touching other things could cause your engine to blow up...
    Last edited by SarcasticOne; 16-04-2013 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    4" intake haha you will need the smaller battery tray and smaller battery, then you need a tune for the change in size to the MAF... Just sell everything you have, buy a COBB AP and HPFP and go from there...
    +1...life is so much better with an AP. The best thing is, you can log your cars performance and share it with people who can help.

Ready for Boost? Probably not.

I went the 3" intake and that would have been a squeeze without the smaller battery tray. 4" intake, sounds like your trying to go for a BT setup, which you don't sound ready for.

Keep reading mate, follow someone's build like @ledfootrob or @SarcasticOne

Last edited by Yeldarb; 16-04-2013 at 01:47 PM.
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

15. Default

for everyone, no i am not a genius with cars but at the same time, i ask before i do things. If i was a happy chap, excited as F%#K, i would have had a garage install everything in one go .. but fortunately for me i am not. That is why i asked initially, in other words; what boost supporting mods should i make before i boost the vehicle. So if you look at it my way, this is my research. I didn't buy the 4" TIP and CAI, they came with the car. I like the COBB AP idea .. alot easier too.

Mate, read read read, simply, everything you have is wrong unless your using a big turbo. 4inch intake won't fit on a stock turbo.

Do what Justin said, sell the lot, even the turbo timer, they aren't needed on modern turbo cars.

Get a Cobb AP. That will up the boost and alter all the ECU parameters to suit.
    Then when you want more. A normal size intake, Dump Pipe, and high presure fuel pump.

Keep following the path your on and you will need rods, bearings, pistons, block, head.......etc etc etc
    2013 Ford Focus ST - Performance Blue, Cobb AP

Gone 2006 3 MPS Sports - True Red, Koni FSD shocks, in dash OEM look Ebay GPS/DVD, Hypertech, RX8 Rims

17. Default

@SarcasticOne - Yeah, i had a CA18DET 180sx which was a breeze to work on. Life isnt as simple anymore

Please read this if your keen to know more about the ACCESS PORT.

It will tell you heaps about how to prepare and go for that boost you're keen on.

Keep the 4" intake. As I suspect you'll want to do an etune eventually... They can adjust for that.

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12544

Great advice in here guys. @slapyouout, most of us have had MPS's for a while now and learnt a fair bit on the way. Myself still learning. I think what you need to do is figure out what you want as a target. Are you after a little more power or just a safe tune with great response or do you require something more? Consider your budget in your decision.

Then once you have that in mind you can work towards achieving that. It's much easier having a focus in mind and could also save you money. Turbo timer is not needed just use a bit of licence when driving a turbocharged car instead. Much cheaper. The 4" TIP is up to you if you want to retain or sell. Personally I think life is easier with a 3" and a transition coupling if required.

When modifying any vehicle, what you need to think about is a few things. I start with breathing (intake and exhaust). A vehicles performance is increased by improving it's breathing, be it a ram-air system, turbo-charger, supercharger, exhaust system...it's all the same thing really, providing a means of in-taking/exhausting large quantities of smooth flowing air into/out the engine. Cooler air is better hence intercooler upgrades, cold air intake and also meth are options which you can look into. Then once you have breathing modifications sorted you're going to want to get the most out of them, this means running a sufficient and calibrated tune. A tune will not only be a safe way to run your vehicle but also get the most money out of your mods.

Along the way you may want to think about upgrading sensors, fuel pumps, spark plugs, etc....again depends on your target HP.

Hope that helps.

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

20. Default

@rogwick - That actually helped more that it should have Thanks for that champ ! I will focus on the breathing aspects of modification like my FMIC , exhaust, CAI and such followed by a tune to maximize potential of the upgrades

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast