User Tag List

Thread: strange noise for engine

Default strange noise for engine

hi there..just got a mazda6 mps recently and a noise has appeared already,it happens when i start the car when engine cold..for instance when i put the car in reverse going out the driveway a knocking noise happens,,then when take off when put clutch down for 1st a knocking happens then 2nd ,3rd so on it happens for about 5-10 mins when engine hot it goes. please help me im sick over it!!!

Sounds like a mount (could be wrong & probably best to hear from other members)

But mine at the moment does the exact same as your describing

Reversing, insane knocking sound.
    changing gear whilst car is cold and as you've said after the cars warm its gone
    Mine doesn't make the sound when the cars been sitting in the sun either

I've got myself a CP-e engine mount waiting to be put in

Seems to need more detail to diagnose properly...
    Where is the noise coming from (approx.)?
    Are you reversing and turning and climbing at the same time?
    Are you on full lock?
    Is your air-con on when it happens?
    Had a look at your engine mounts, esp RH top one? - you can tell if these have burst by the liquid stain everywhere.
    Does the noise go eventually and at what temperature or under what conditions?
    Cheers.
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 16-04-2013 at 06:31 PM.

BTW, Just because it gets when the engine gets hot may not mean it is an engine issue. If it is a strong "knock" as opposed to a "tick", and seems to come from the rear, I'd say it is a tight LSD winding up the transmission, especially when you turn on full lock while reversing. You can feel a tightness in the steering as the tyres resist the turn due to the transmission wind up (being an AWD car). As the diff oil warms, the LSD plates free up and the noise goes away.

Other "clicks" can include brake pads relocating themselves in their housings but that is usually only when reversing and moving forward after standing, and does not persist.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

its coming from like right side of engine thats my right when in drivers seat. no not reversing and climbing.nope no full lock either just straight out then turn and on my way makes noise minute i use gears etc..no air con on either,,i looked and no liquid either,,noise goes after say 2 mins driving .temp gauge just moved a small big up.. when heated noise goes away.weird like.car only got serviced over 1000 kms ago

How many kms on the car? CV joints can click like mad if the balls are cracked or broken, usually happens if someone has been doing launches on hard lock. That said, I'd expect them to make a noise all the time, unless the warmed up grease assists. If nothing is apparent inside the engine bay, then you could jack the car and spin the wheels and test for noise or looseness. Check nothing wrapped around your front and rear axles and your (rear) prop shaft, though that should persist all the time too. Process of elimination.

Also check the air-con idler pulley can drive you mad if the bearing fails in it and that will make a noise regardless of air-con on or not, on the RHS if the engine.
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 16-04-2013 at 06:35 PM.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

107.000 kms.. checked the air con idler nothing..just went out there earlier packed on the road this time last night.. so started car took off in say 30 seconds,, put in 1st gear took off weird knocking crunching noise.. then to 2nd the same and so on when down the road a bit changed gears and nothing..cant figure it out

- - - Updated - - -

107.000 kms.. checked the air con idler nothing..just went out there earlier packed on the road this time last night.. so started car took off in say 30 seconds,, put in 1st gear took off weird knocking crunching noise.. then to 2nd the same and so on when down the road a bit changed gears and nothing..cant figure it out

If you just had it serviced I'd take it back to they guys who serviced it with your story. I had some wallies leave a spanner inside my rocker cover once! Now that was a noise! It finished up breaking an outer valve spring, but fortunately it was a double spring setup so I didn't drop a valve. Shows that strange things can happen!

will do...hope it is something small..cheers for the help doug