User Tag List

Thread: Benifits of Aftermarket Brake Pads?

Blog Entries

Default Benifits of Aftermarket Brake Pads?

Discuss...

Why you felt you needed to go aftermarket?
    What Pads did you get?
    What did they cost?
    What improvements did you notice?
    Why you like sheep in that oh so special way?

Nevermind Guest

I think the main reason is price. I think to get the "genuine replacements" are alot more $$$ then anything else

-Price
    -Heat Absorption/Dispersion
    -Friction Material/Characteristics
    -Driving Style
    -Wear

Having said that I'm still using the OEM pads and am about to get another set as well as new front rotors on Monday, but I have boiled the brakes on my MPS twice in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by shinslinger66 View Post
    Discuss...

Why you felt you needed to go aftermarket?
    What Pads did you get?
    What did they cost?
    What improvements did you notice?
    Why you like sheep in that oh so special way?
    Price only
    EBC Green
    about $230
    None, wont be getting them again.

I have a secret and it's not an unhealthy interest in sheep. I have a fetish for brakes, so this is a subject that interests me. My experience with brakes includes building custom 4-pot brake setups before big brake kits were invented, testing for a friction material manufacturer and a driving style is exceptionally hard on brakes so I consume a lot of brake parts.

When I perve at a car the first thing I notice is the brakes. So why haven't I put brembo's on my car? Because I find the stock MPS brakes are close to perfection.

Brake pads are the usual compromise - good high temp performance at the expense of low temp performance and vicky verky. The mps pads were revolutionary, working equally well at both low and high temp and with a strength that could easily exceed the capability of the chassis. I'm the kind of driver who can set fire to my axle grease so it says a lot that I never experienced fade on the stock mps pads.

I did experience fade on the EBC greens, a lot of fade and I'm certain that brembo's would be a backward step in terms of performance so despite the high price I'll be putting stock pads in next time.

Good points and well made.

The 2005 Audi S4 pads fit too. I have no idea on pricing etc, just some useless information I aquired once.

Brakes interest me too - we put all our efforts into making our rockets go even faster....but we still have to stop them...and things happen quicker in a quick car (duh).

Jim

Has any one tried Hawk HPS pads on the 3 MPS (available from MPS Garage)?

I'm due for pads at my next service, and I just called Mazda Parts for a quote on OEM pads. They want $390 / front pair, and $187.7 / pair rear.

Cheers,
    Spud

Criminal isn't it?!

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    When I perve at a car the first thing I notice is the brakes. So why haven't I put brembo's on my car? Because I find the stock MPS brakes are close to perfection.
    How interesting.

I thought brembos would be better than anything else, plus the look awesome, I fancy them on the MPS3

Anyone tried Autoexe pads?

I'm running EBC Red's on the front - bought them through MPS Garage too, although it's not listed on their website.
    DBA Standard Rotors on the front too...

Pretty happy with them, no brake fade on a few hard runs up the Old Pac!

Mazda are criminals wanting almost 1000 for Rotors and Pads! That's why i went after market.

EBC Greens = Crap on my MPS3, heaps of fade on the track and during spirited driving, pedal felt "dead" on the street, less dusting of the rims though

EBC Reds = Where falling apart (pad material coming away from the backing plate) after 3 laps of mallala raceway, felt ok on the pedal though

Stock pads = Pretty bloody good for a stock factory pad. Did 3 track days and were still going, Bloody bad brake dusting though

Hawk pads = Currently in car, not too bad on the road. Pedal feel is pretty good, havnt done any track laps yet though

Oh and all these pads were run on DBA4000 slotted rotors.
    Last edited by BlueMPS3; 30-12-2008 at 11:38 PM.
    CPE CAI, CPE catted DP, Custom 3" exhaust, Heavily Modified KO4 turbo, Upgraded topmount Intercooler, Turbosmart Boost controller (set to 17psi), CDFP kit, Denso ITV22 spark plugs, CPE engine mount, N2MB WOTbox, Eibach prokit springs, Cobb adjustable rear sway bar, DBA 4000 rotors, Falken RT615 tyres.
    Car has made 212Kw's@wheels on Factory Mazda tune (Graham Wests dyno)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMPS3 View Post
    EBC Greens = Crap on my MPS3, heaps of fade on the track and during spirited driving, pedal felt "dead" on the street, less dusting of the rims though

EBC Reds = Where falling apart (pad material coming away from the backing plate) after 3 laps of mallala raceway, felt ok on the pedal though

Stock pads = Pretty bloody good for a stock factory pad. Did 3 track days and were still going, Bloody bad brake dusting though

Hawk pads = Currently in car, not too bad on the road. Pedal feel is pretty good, havnt done any track laps yet though

Oh and all these pads were run on DBA4000 slotted rotors.
    How would you compare the Hawk's to stock pads for initial bite and performance when cold?

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    How would you compare the Hawk's to stock pads for initial bite and performance when cold?
    Pretty similar, maybe a fraction less bite when stone cold but once a bit of temp in them they are pretty good. Fairly cheap price too.
    CPE CAI, CPE catted DP, Custom 3" exhaust, Heavily Modified KO4 turbo, Upgraded topmount Intercooler, Turbosmart Boost controller (set to 17psi), CDFP kit, Denso ITV22 spark plugs, CPE engine mount, N2MB WOTbox, Eibach prokit springs, Cobb adjustable rear sway bar, DBA 4000 rotors, Falken RT615 tyres.
    Car has made 212Kw's@wheels on Factory Mazda tune (Graham Wests dyno)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMPS3 View Post
    Pretty similar, maybe a fraction less bite when stone cold but once a bit of temp in them they are pretty good. Fairly cheap price too.
    Thanks, I might give them a try. $340 for stock pads is a bit hard to take.

I jumped on here looking for advice on a set of pads.. i've got dba 4000 rotors and ebc greens. (don't bother)

I'm thinking of trying the hawk pads.. any other options??

I like the pedal to feel good -like the standard pads but less dust

I hate the way the pedal feels now

I have the hawk pads from MPSgarage...

They are great....no dust and no fuss....

Feel just as good if not better than the OEM...when warmed up.

Cold...they are a little tiny bit off the originals...but are on a 1/3 of the price.

I put them on myself....not a hard job...just annoying.

Happy Motoring
    duglet

I'd like to try Hawks, but MPS garage doesn't have them listed for the MPS6, they have AutoExe pads instead. I've never seen or heard of any user feedback on AutoExe pads in a Mazda, has anyone else heard anything about these?

18. Default

EBC REDS
    DBA 4000 Series Rotors
    Goodridge Braided Brake Lines
    Motul RBF 600 Brake Fluid

Wicked!

Sounds like the Hawk HPS pads have a good mix of decent performance in spirited driving and pricing.

And I totally agree that the OEM pads are damn good for OEM, but (in agreeance with Duglet) we should consider whether they are really 3x better than going aftermarket ...

In no way are they worth that much for OEM parts.

Mazda must have an overstock of 3MPS pads as I doubt anyone replaces them.

Aftermarket will be better and cheaper/if not the same price for something more performance.

Each to their own...im happy with the Hawk pads.

Happy Motoring
    duglet