User Tag List

Thread: Stock vs hpfp

1. Default Stock vs hpfp

Been getting my head around things, and just wanted to know if anyone knows what the stock fuel pump is rated at. i.e i need to know how many litres per hour.

and then i need the same info for the HPFP (Autotech or similar) - how many litres per hour do these upgraded fuel pumps pump ?

It would be easier to know this information which give you an idea of limitations on mods and when you are required to upgrade and when not.
    I understand the HPFP costs around $400 - $500 depending on brand.

It will also help with your goals, i.e if you wanted to have 700hp at the end of all of it - you might need to buy the bigger fuel pump first time round, instead of wasting money on a pump that is only capable of 500hp as an initial upgrade.

Its not about throughput, its about pressure!

3. Default

Unfortunately, it is about both pressure and volume. at some point you will require more volume, and you need to know if the HPFP can supply your injectors.

5. Default

154 litres per hour - Geez!! why does Mazda do this?? you wont get much out of that - that is seriously low for a turbo car - especially one which is 2.3litre engine capacity.

I am new to MPS and just getting my head around this car - havent worked on them yet.

If the 154 lph is in the tank - what does the one do that sits next to the head? if that like a FPR ? apologies for the ignorance...

You will need to do one of everything before replacing the in tank pump. Upgraded HPFP is fine for everything standard turbo, even most BT setups.
    DI = needs pressure, the flow will be fine.

If you tell us what your plans are we can provide more accurate feedback. I dont know of anyone here that has needed to replace the in tank pump or go to an external surge tank setup.

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/fuell...-bolt-ons.html
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/gener...tical-way.html
    Last edited by Jmac; 12-04-2013 at 01:23 PM.
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

2 reasons I can think of that Mazda have made their choices...

1) it's a general part that is shared across multiple platforms, it's the same as used in VAG's cars... You'll see the same pump in the golf GTI, for example...

2) Mazda are evil... It's good enough for a stock car, and why would anyone want to modify a Mazda car???

Also, being direct injection, there is no increased flowing injectors like you can fit on port injected motors (ala subie/evo/supra/Honda motors). This means we are stuck with what we got...

Fortunately by running a E85 mix (25% is enough) we can reach limits of the injectors before running into knock limits of pump gas. With appropriate turbo upgrade, this gets a 3 to about 450whp (330ish kw) at 110% injector duty cycle. Our engines are very prone to knocking/pinging/pinking.

In the states they are starting to experiment by putting larger pumps into fuel tank and then running extra high flowing port injectors in the intake manifold (similar to the brz/gt86) this allows them to gain extra fuelling headroom.

Other solution is to use meth as extra fuel...
    Last edited by SarcasticOne; 12-04-2013 at 01:33 PM.
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

8. Default

Well, a Walbro in tank 255 high pressure pump is good for about 375kw, its costs $100 - so that sorts out the in-tank one.

what does the fuel pump so that i situated at the head? does it act like a FPR?
    what does "DI" mean?

External surge tanks i reckon should only come into play round the 500kw mark. so will never had a need for that.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    2 reasons I can think of that Mazda have made their choices...

1) it's a general part that is shared across multiple platforms, it's the same as used in VAG's cars... You'll see the same pump in the golf GTI, for example...

2) Mazda are evil... It's good enough for a stock car, and why would anyone want to modify a Mazda car???

Also, being direct injection, there is no increased flowing injectors like you can fit on port injected motors (ala subie/evo/supra/Honda motors). This means we are stuck with what we got...

Fortunately by running a E85 mix (25% is enough) we can reach limits of the injectors before running into knock limits of pump gas. With appropriate turbo upgrade, this gets a 3 to about 450whp (330ish kw) at 110% injector duty cycle. Our engines are very prone to knocking/pinging/pinking.

In the states they are starting to experiment by putting larger pumps into fuel tank and then running extra high flowing port injectors in the intake manifold (similar to the brz/gt86) this allows them to gain extra fuelling headroom.

Other solution is to use meth as extra fuel...
    thanks for that - it helps. I can foresee issues after 300kw - will it be a case of too much money for too little gain?? everything needs upgrading, and that is fine, but i think you put it into perspective a bit better with the injectors, etc - completely forgot about the Direct Injection - @Jmac - hey the light bulb just went on!! lol.

No, the issue is a complete lack of higher flowing DI injectors... Therefore a need for a separate external fueling source

Port injected engines you can upgrade to 600cc and 1000cc injectors, we don't have that option

lol :P
    yeah, DI - Direct Injection.

Did you see the threads I linked earlier in this thread? They might be helpful

12. Default

@Jmac - completely missed those theads - thanks!

LEGEND

No wukkas

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

14. Default

Im feeling like a new HPFP might be a choice mod for me.
    Anyone got a brand they recommend? Lookikg to spend 400 or less. Will couple it with a cobb ap+tune....

15. Default

Autotech

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

16. Default

Link?