User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which exhaust brand to go with?

Default Which exhaust brand to go with?

would like to know what exhaust brand to go with, and which one is most reliable and cost wise!

Cost wise...perhaps a custom cat-back, and get a cp-e (or similar) downpipe.

Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    Cost wise...perhaps a custom cat-back, and get a cp-e (or similar) downpipe.
    ^^+1 you will get heapz kw just with down pipe. Cat back is basically for loudness hardly any gains. I got cork sport cbe n it's loud as
    Member Of a Wallbangers Club

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Harry View Post
    ^^+1 you will get heapz kw just with down pipe. Cat back is basically for loudness hardly any gains. I got cork sport cbe n it's loud as
    thanks harry , another question, ive gone through the forums and read up on exhausts, why has everyone got cbe and not turbo back? wouldnt it be more smarter to go turbo back and more gain?

Quote Originally Posted by sp258u View Post
    thanks harry , another question, ive gone through the forums and read up on exhausts, why has everyone got cbe and not turbo back? wouldnt it be more smarter to go turbo back and more gain?
    Personal choice you know. i got turboback but Best setup would be aftermarket down pipe with stock cbe minus the resonator.
    Member Of a Wallbangers Club

Sometimes it's not always just about the gains. There is also the aesthetic factor too.

If you're looking at form rather than function, like @rogwick said, a custom cat-back will suffice and will be much cheaper than purchasing a pre-fabricated exhaust.

You'll find most exhaust places fabricate stainless steel pipes with brand name mufflers such as Magnaflow or Lukey.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

thanks for that harry

correct me if im wrong, a dp replaces the test pipe as well correct? and a turbo back is pretty much the whole exhaust system?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Harry View Post

Quote Originally Posted by sp258u View Post
    thanks for that harry

correct me if im wrong, a dp replaces the test pipe as well correct? and a turbo back is pretty much the whole exhaust system?
    Most Downpipes do, but I know CORKSPORT do just a Downpipe which bolts to the stock mid-pipe.

Turbo Back is the whole exhaust, dump to tip...

I have a 3" custom exhaust that replaces all the exhaust besides the downpipe section. Deleting the Midpipe Cat Converter, Mid Resonator and Rear Muffler.
    Great value for money compared to buying off the shelf. the design of it is based on the CORKSPORT CBE:

So th eonly part of my exhaust left to replace is the Downpipe which will be changed to this:

Which will be complimented with a fuel pump and Stage 2 COBB
    Last edited by DAN MPS 3; 11-04-2013 at 02:28 AM.
    SG9 XT: VF34 P20, Tomei headers, STI intercooler HSD coilovers, Brembos and much more...

Anything re exhausts @2XS is the guy to talk to! He built me a stainless steel cbe which included magnaflow muffler with 4in tips. This is set up in conjunction with a custom twin DP and I got good gains after a tune and the sound is infectious. Has a deep burble with no drone. Money well spent! I'm certain other regular members who have had the pleasure of dealing with Troy could attest to his work including some interstate members.

Quote Originally Posted by MPSBNE View Post
    Anything re exhausts @2XS is the guy to talk to! He built me a stainless steel cbe which included magnaflow muffler with 4in tips. This is set up in conjunction with a custom twin DP and I got good gains after a tune and the sound is infectious. Has a deep burble with no drone. Money well spent! I'm certain other regular members who have had the pleasure of dealing with Troy could attest to his work including some interstate members.
    Completely forgot 2XS! I may look at a 2XS Downpipe in the future insteat of a Corksport (as long as 2XS does the short downpipe and not the down+test pipe single peice)

Support local
    SG9 XT: VF34 P20, Tomei headers, STI intercooler HSD coilovers, Brembos and much more...

Quote Originally Posted by DAN MPS 3 View Post
    Completely forgot 2XS! I may look at a 2XS Downpipe in the future insteat of a Corksport (as long as 2XS does the short downpipe and not the down+test pipe single peice)

Support local
    Nah happy to highly recommend @2XS based on personal experience! Referral is king. Unless of course you know a reputable exhaust shop in Sydney @DAN MPS 3 that you can highly reccomend to do work on our cars
    2XS RACING $ CORKSPORT $ MAGNAFLOW $ ​UNSURE MOTORSPORTS $ COBB $ INJEN $ FULCRUM $ FEDERAL TYRES $ VISUAL GARAGE $ ADVANCED PERFORMANCE CENTRE $ B C M $ NGK $ STRATIFIED $ AUTOTECH $ DBA $ REMSA $ DGR $ MORIMOTO $ JBR $ FUSION

There has been some comment that OEM CBE of GENII flows well for most applications. That's why a DP swap out only is pretty popular.

I went DP first, left the OEM in for another 6 months. It's sounded better just after the DP install, But, like @MPSBNE I went full custom CBE, with new resonator and MAGNAFLOW muffler because RACECAR. It's one of the best things I've done to the car to date.

Sent from Samsung Note 2 LTE
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

The majority of the power gains is from the dump pipe.
    From the cat back its 95% noise and looks.

Henry...Go see Chris from Best Mufflers. Got my cat back from him with no resonator and magnaflow muffler. Also has a downppe which they fabricated up which alot of ppl also have on here

I got my DP from Best Mufflers but I had a lot of trouble in regards to CEL's, P2096.

I personally wouldn't recommend it on the GENII, unless the fabricator has made some changes.

Can all you ppl with catbacks please start a thread which contains what exhaust combo's you have and a video so ppl can hear how they sound. I know if you I search i'll find them eventually but it would be good to have them all listed one thread, a sticky maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    I got my DP from Best Mufflers but I had a lot of trouble in regards to CEL's, P2096.

I personally wouldn't recommend it on the GENII, unless the fabricator has made some changes.

While this guy had issues if you're running a G1 then its sweet no CEL. lol

I can try to put a Video clip of mine later Best Mufflers DP running 2XS Catback unsure Muffler.
    Last edited by KFuNk; 11-04-2013 at 10:16 AM.
    2XS+ChipTorque=DeathStar

Have a read of this if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    T H E - E X H A U S T

If you're looking into a decent exhaust for your 6/3 plan about $2-2,500 minimum. It's basically from the turbo back, replacing the stock system, thus giving you more power, and if it's your desire, enhanced sound. The stock downpipe (turbo, into downpipe, into catalytic converter out...) is a large restrictive member in the MPS. The flow is average, the design is large and considers emissions and the likes. Removal of this will give a increased exhaust gas flow and at less resistance due to the larger diameter of the downpipe unit itself.

The optional part now, is whether or not to get a cat-back system, flanged to the downpipe. In terms of "power" most of the gains you will be able to achieve are left at the downpipe. Although a smoother and larger diameter makes for less resistance and of course replacing the mufflers will give a sound to your vehicle. You will notice on the 6, the cat-back single pipe-run splits further down to enable entry to the twin mufflers. This split (or "Y" piece) is pretty much a curved "T". Having a "T"-like run makes for increased resistance as your exhaust gas attempts to exit via the mufflers. A high flow, less resistance "Y" piece (see photo's below) would achieve minimal gains but results in a smoother higher flowing system. Why not compliment the downpipe and complete the exhaust if your finances allow you?

In my case my system (as pictured) is a CP-E Stainless steel catted Downpipe, flanged to a custom-fabricated, coated, twin-resonator mild steel cat back exhaust complete with smooth "Y" flow mandrel bend and twin-supercat mufflers. Mufflers can be personal preference. Stainless, oval, cannon, round, high flow, sports, sound, loud are some the words that come to mind. If you intend getting a set of mufflers you want a note, but nothing too loud that will make the neighbours hate you and the cops like you. For me it was two stainless steel super-cat mufflers. They're oval by design and sit high up, thus offering next to no chance of hitting. The pipework neck from the muffler will/should comfortably exit the chrome exhaust tips sitting not to far out but rather inside about ~10mm

0₂ Sensor connection on DP

DP Flange to cat-back, can see one resonator and the other in the corner of the shot

Pipework connection into muffler

Rear setup

Exhaust Tip

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

thanks for the input guys, ill be sure to go see best mufflers and sort somehting out from there, ill keep everyone posted and a build thread will be up shortly

If you want a Video this is mine with a Corksport CBE, 2XS Race pipe and it also has the centre corksport resonator removed since it cracked.

Apparently at full noise it's like 100+ dB's but i doubt it doesn't seem loud at all on the inside...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast