User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Changing your turbo FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by DAN MPS 3 View Post
    RPW tunes ECUTEK
    Evoulution R (apparently) could tune COBB, he has the software but not sure if he has tuned a MPS. They are into EVO, WRX, GTR...
    Tokyo Motorsports will be joining the ranks as well once they get their ECUtek license.
    Mazda6 MPS

BNR STAGE 1 - COBB ACCESSPORT STAGE 2 - CP-e HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP - CP-E DOWNPIPE - 3" MAGNAFLOW ZORST - DENSO ITV22 SPARK PLUGS - COBB SF INTAKE - COBB TURBO INLET PIPE - JBR 70a TRILOGY MOUNTS - SURE ANCHORS - SURE COUNTERWEIGHT - 2XS SHORT SHIFT PLATE - 2XS STEALTH BLOW OFF VALVE - KING PERFORMANCE LOWERED SPRINGS - BILSTEIN B8 SHOCKS - WHITELINE REAR SWAY BAR - DBA 4000 CROSS DRILLED ROTORS - HAWK PERFORMANCE HPS BRAKE PADS

when you upgrade the turbo, do you absolutely need an electronic boost controller? how does this apply? like, i get that you use it to control the boost, but doesn't the tune do that for you? i know the boost controller is adjustable, so are you able to get an Ecutek tune (what i currently have) and use the boost controller so i can use a higher boost level when i feel like being spirited or at the track or something and then turn it down if i want to be a bit more economic with petrol? or will adjusting it ruin the tuning and potentially the car?

I'll mspaint you up a diagram or 3 after dinner to explain boost controllers

The EBC for dummies version (so my understanding) is that with the bigger turbo's and higher boost the stock 2 port boost controller will struggle to control the boost (through vacuum bleed manipulation), where a 3 port EBC will allow the tune greater control over the wastegate actuator and hence the boost level.

Some people put a "pill" into the vacuum line (welding rod normally), this has been known to be a bandaid fix for the 2 port. Or you can swap to manual boost controllers. I personally find that a 3 port EBC (like the grimmspeed) enables a greater control of boost, as well as a greater ability to delay when boost comes on, and taper boost off at higher RPM.
    1993 KL-ZE 626 - Written off
    2005 MPS6 - Me Boosta, GTX2867 Freektuned

3 ways of controlling boost, doing something other than this could cause your boost to spike, and/or be uncontrollable :

EBC Set Ups (controlled by ECU/Tuning)
    2-Port (stock set up):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2-port.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	205.8 KB 
ID:	14124

3-Port (Interrupt):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3-port.jpg 
Views:	1014 
Size:	197.7 KB 
ID:	14125

Manual Boost controller: (Controlled by turning a dial on MBC)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MBC.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	161.0 KB 
ID:	14126

Images take from:
    Mazda 3 Port Electronic Boost Control Valve [MAZ 3P EBCV (0100-0005.2)] - $85.00CAD : Stratified Automotive Controls
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

awesome thread, thanks tons for this info. helped lots

if i were to go buy a bnrS3 what would my shopping list need to be?

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    if i were to go buy a bnrS3 what would my shopping list need to be?
    Boost controller, tuning device, possibly an intake (likely at least a silicone coupler)

wouldnt need to go internals as well?

Yes internals as well

already have hpfp internals...im meaning forged pistons and so on

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    already have hpfp internals...im meaning forged pistons and so on
    All in the tune... Can easily be tuned for mid-high 200kw's and high 400nm's in torque and be safe... Or you can go all out and risk the rods
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Some good info here on stock block limits. http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/foru...d.php?t=187770

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12