User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New engine MPS6

1. Unhappy New engine MPS6

Hi guys just been advised by mechanic my engine is dead. He also suggested that it will cost me any where from $8000 to $10000 to get a second hand engine or get my engine reconditioned and fitted. Any ideas where I could get a new engine or a mechanic that can get it done under 5000. Would prefer reconditioning however if its cheaper to get a second hand engine, than im happy to go down that path. Recommendations would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by purenv View Post
    Hi guys just been advised by mechanic my engine is dead. He also suggested that it will cost me any where from $8000 to $10000 to get a second hand engine or get my engine reconditioned and fitted. Any ideas where I could get a new engine or a mechanic that can get it done under 5000. Would prefer reconditioning however if its cheaper to get a second hand engine, than im happy to go down that path. Recommendations would be really appreciated.

Thanks
    WHATS DEAD?? Describe plz
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Yeah more info please,
    How many kms and how did it die?
    Cheers Todd

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

4. Default

The whole engine ceased working after the machanic suggested it had a slack timing chain. When the timing chain was replace the whole engine s=ceased working and apparantly it cant be reverted to a working start because the internal have been severely damaged. Engine has 108000 on it.

I'd be asking questions of the mechanic that did the timing chain change.
    With such little info or without looking at it, my assumption would be he buggered up the timing at the very least.

6. Default

I am taking mechanic to CTTT. Had no luck with fair trading. However wanna know what my options are now.

that sounds like he buggered something up....
    rods + pistons alone cost ~1000 total
    then there is about $1500-2000 worth of OEM parts that have to be replaced... add labour on top of that
    @LittleredMPS might have more information on pricing...

else, try a wreckers?

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    that sounds like he buggered something up....
    rods + pistons alone cost ~1000 total
    then there is about $1500-2000 worth of OEM parts that have to be replaced... add labour on top of that
    @LittleredMPS might have more information on pricing...

else, try a wreckers?
    That's a good price Sam........ Where do you live @purenv?
    Last edited by RedDjinn; 06-04-2013 at 12:07 PM.
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

9. Default

I'm in nsw.

where abouts?

11. Default

Parramatta area

Did the mechanic say if the block was okay?

If it is have a chat to me, and my trusty colleague and I might be able to fix you up for a hell of a lot less that what your mechanic (bullshit artist) is quoting.

If they stuffed up the timing chain then it will be valves, head, maybe pistons that are all screwed. Block will probably be fine but with the amount of work required to fix it all you might as well just replace the whole engine.

mate thats bullshit i mean obviously if u put the car in to have the timing chain tensioner or chain replaced ifnif was stretched and then they tell u your engine is gone, they have ****ed somthing up, dont even let them discuss how much it will cost u for an engine because its on them, i wouldnt be giving them a cent, stick to your guns whatever you do dont tow the car from there shop, once u do that u wont have anleg to stand on. i dont know if such is possible but id threaten to get your own independent engineer out to asses the damage and cause if they arnt wilking to fix it

mitch

Was your car fine prior to going to the mechanic? i:e, you drove there right?

Kind of like going to the doctor with a cough and coming out with a broken arm...

If your situation is how I understand it - you drove your car there and now the sh*t Mechanics there say the whole engine is gone and totally gone, I'd be wary. Maybe a couple of the forums guys could head down with you to have a look and see onsite. Its probably your daily drive and I know you probably want to settle this asapish but it sounds like they are like trying to con you.

Could you give further details about what fair trade said and how long has this whole saga gone on for?

17. Default

Mate I would love some help. Fair trading tried settling the mater however mechanic wants me to pay for parts. And he feels his being fair by not charging for labour. Got the case going to CTTT hopefully more luck than. Mechanic won't let me pick up car until I sign legal paper on agree that his practice was fine.

Mate I would love some help. Fair trading tried settling the mater however mechanic wants me to pay for parts. And he feels his being fair by not charging for labour. Got the case going to CTTT hopefully more luck than. Mechanic won't let me pick up car until I sign legal paper on agree that his practice was fine.
    Hey that's not a bad deal, good option to take up and go balistic with upgraded forged parts, a nice big turbo upgrade aswell perhaps?

that mechanic knows where his ass is at. If he gets you to sign, he gets off scot free, hence the pressure for you to sign. Although, he may not have any leg to stand on once you call for legal aid for holding someone else's property as ransom - I call that theft. Can anyone else comment on this? @purenv - you probably already know this but be careful if you have to put any signature on anything from now on dealing with this. Hope this turns in your favour

Have a look on motor trades association page and mvric, see what repairers are obligated to when performing repair work. May help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast