User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need new Battery for MPS 3

1. Default need new Battery for MPS 3

hi everyone,

the battery in my mps3 is starting to give up on life. car is 2006 mps 3 and still has the stock battery. couldn't find much info out there so decided to make a thread

does anybody have any recommendation on which battery to purchase?

thanks for the help !

Battery World is a good place to start, at least see what's on offer. I went there as I was desperate, I had to be jump started twice at work. I paid $160 or so for a Century battery with a huge warranty and CCA (cranking amps) of 560. More than enough for our cars. It was a nice thing to hear the cat start so much better, and quicker.

Good luck.

Sent from Samsung Note 2 LTE

Quote Originally Posted by antv View Post
    hi everyone,

the battery in my mps3 is starting to give up on life. car is 2006 mps 3 and still has the stock battery. couldn't find much info out there so decided to make a thread

does anybody have any recommendation on which battery to purchase?

thanks for the help !
    I just replaced my 06 mps's original battery with a century one from supercheap...its awesome feels like a new car lol

Autobahn super charge gold $160 600CA n u get 10bux for ur old battery.

Optima red top, as soon as i dropped it in car run smoother also added a 4 gauge earth.. OPTIMA 35 RED TOP AGM DRY CELL BATTERY CAR/TRUCK/BOAT/RV/CARAVAN/HOT ROD/TRACTOR | eBay

Im selling mine in the for sale, 6 months old supercharge gold...
    Can have it for $100

7. Default

thanks for offer dazza but i ended up grabbing a century battery from supercheap. windows work better now haha

much appreciated guys !

Quote Originally Posted by MISSMPS View Post
    I just replaced my 06 mps's original battery with a century one from supercheap...its awesome feels like a new car lol
    I only just replaced my 06 MPS battery as well....with a BOSCH

Must be great batteries if they are all lasting this long...

PANASONIC FTW!!!

Happy Motoring
    duglet

Quote Originally Posted by RedDjinn View Post
    Optima red top, as soon as i dropped it in car run smoother also added a 4 gauge earth.. OPTIMA 35 RED TOP AGM DRY CELL BATTERY CAR/TRUCK/BOAT/RV/CARAVAN/HOT ROD/TRACTOR | eBay
    Seems a bit overkill, it could start an articulated lorry that!

Did it fit in place of the old battery without modification?

Quote Originally Posted by st3ve View Post
    Seems a bit overkill, it could start an articulated lorry that!

Did it fit in place of the old battery without modification?
    Yeah fitted perfect

11. Default

Hey all!

just a quick question...

I need a new battery for my 2009 BL.
    Want to order myself an optima Yellow Top.

What size is the stock battery? D35???
    from what i gather it seems correct... but would like a bit of confirmation.

Cheers,
    Aaron

12. Default

ok... after a poke under the bonnett and a search of panasonics web page.

Stock Battery - 55D23L
    Size (LxWxH): 232 x 173 x 204 mm

Proposed battery size allowing use of Optima Yellows - D35
    Size (LxWxH): 237x 175 x 199mm

so 35D; length is 5mm more , its 2mm wider, and 5mm shorter.

so there ya go people... i cannot see there being any major fitment issues with a D35

Odyssey equivalent is 1400-35
    Last edited by AzzA SP20; 29-07-2013 at 08:57 PM.

Did you see the weight? Optima 2-3 kg lighter

Quote Originally Posted by AzzA SP20 View Post
    ok... after a poke under the bonnett and a search of panasonics web page.

Stock Battery - 55D23L
    Size (LxWxH): 232 x 173 x 204 mm

Proposed battery size allowing use of Optima Yellows - D35
    Size (LxWxH): 237x 175 x 199mm

so 35D; length is 5mm more , its 2mm wider, and 5mm shorter.

so there ya go people... i cannot see there being any major fitment issues with a D35

Odyssey equivalent is 1400-35
    I've got a d35 yellow top in mine. Fits fine and works great if you want a deep cycle. Otherwise, higher CCA and lower weight of the 25/35 red top might be a better idea.

Sent from my evil apple using TapaCrash
    Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

And for battery noobs like me, what is the difference between a yellow top and red top (apart from colour) and how these are better than stock. Please and Thankyou!

The battery for the 3 and the 6 are the same too yeah?

Quote Originally Posted by GibbA View Post
    And for battery noobs like me, what is the difference between a yellow top and red top (apart from colour) and how these are better than stock. Please and Thankyou!
    Yellow top are deep cycle (google it). Hope i get this right....Deep cycle are designed to power low amperage loads for long periods of time.They have a lower peak power but a high capacity and can be drained and topped up again with very minimal damage to the battery (like your phone). They are the kind of thing you use if you want to run accessories (like sound system) for hours with the engine off. If you do that to a regular car battery (which is designed to operate at near full charge most of the time) it will die on you quick smart.

Red tops are designed as a standard battery to provide high amps for a short time to start the car, then get charged up again. Yellow tops are a combined use: high amps to start car (slightly less than the red top), but can be drained for ages and recharged without damage.

Sent from my evil apple using TapaCrash
    Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

19. Default

Your normal LA or SLA's are a Rapid discharge providing big surge current needed.
    these are classed as 'Rapid discharge' Batteries

Deep cycles are designed to provide a steady amount of current over a long period of time.
    Deep cycles still have a high Surge current... but nothing like the regular battery.

• A car's battery is designed to provide a very large amount of current for a short period of time. This surge of current is needed to turn the engine over during starting. Once the engine starts, the alternator provides all the power that the car needs, so a car battery may go through its entire life without ever being drained more than 20 percent of its total capacity. Used in this way, a car battery can last a number of years. To achieve a large amount of current, a car battery uses thin plates in order to increase its surface area.

• A deep cycle battery is designed to provide a steady amount of current over a long period of time. A deep cycle battery can provide a surge when needed, but nothing like the surge a car battery can. A deep cycle battery is also designed to be deeply discharged over and over again (something that would ruin a car battery very quickly).

above pinched from the inter webs

20. Default

Optima Yellow top D35 installed over the weekend.

if you are going to use a D35 battery... you must only use an optima.
    as Optima provide a 'Base plate' as such that clips onto the base of the battery.
    this makes it the exact height of the oem 55D23L sized battery. so your battery tie now works.

The base plate also adds about 2 mm to each side of the battery... which makes is the exact width of the base of the oem battery box.

As a note **** for Gen 2 **** Removing battery resets your radio stations, resets your seating position(s), and makes the auto up/down on drivers side window stop working (but will start working again next time you start the car).
    your sat nav memory is still maintained!

I will upload a couple of pics when i get home (cant do it from work) to give you guys a better understanding
    Last edited by AzzA SP20; 05-08-2013 at 08:35 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast