User Tag List

Thread: Removing dashboard adhesive

Default Removing dashboard adhesive

Hi guys, not sure if this is the right section but I have just removed a bluetooth kit that came with my vehicle, It has left some stubborn adhesive.

I have tried scratching this off with fingernails, and rubbing it with citrus cleaner, but it still looks like it's there and perhaps I have damaged the dash a little bit.

Any ideas on how to remove this and get the dash looking normal?

Hi Mate,

Take care with citrus cleaners on vinyls and plastics. Many are not rated for this application and can melt the surface you're trying to clean. The same goes for other solvent-based cleaners.

If that's already happened (as from the pic it looks like it may have) then there's not much that can be done unfortunately. Especially for textured plastics such as dashboards.

If the texture is still intact, a Wax and Grease remover spray can sometimes be effective, as long as it specifically says it's safe for plastics and vinyls. Places like SuperCheap Auto sell spraycans of this sort of stuff.

Also, a diluted All Purpose Cleaner (APC) mixture can work. Eg this diluted at 3:1 as per instructions: Optimum Power Clean All Purpose Cleaner 512ml
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Failing that, I'd get a dash mat if it bothers you that much.

I'd try a bit of Alcohol (of the medical sterilising wipes variety)
    Its about the only thing i've has success using on plastic and vinyl trims to get overspray off.
    It doesn't take the colour out of them

Failing that, +1 on the dash mat idea

CHMPS, there are some great label adhesive removers in Bunnings. A small bottle lasts for ages. Cost about $5 if I recall. I hate sticky label marks on anything and find it removes them easily. I will need to use some on my car dashboard soon too. The one I have is called Un-Du Adhesive Remover. You should find it near the glues. Website is Un-Do.com Cheers
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 10-04-2013 at 11:09 AM.

Eucalyptus Oil FTW and it smells good to boot

It looks to me like the actual dashboard's rubber coating has been worn off, caused by the glue from the bluetooth kit reacting with the plastic. I don't think you can revert back; personally I'd give it clean with some isopropyl alcohol wipes which will remove some of the tackiness. Time/dust will settle down the sticky feeling, it will eventually settle down and you can use some plastic cleaner to not make it as noticeable.

as above, eucalyptus oil should work.