User Tag List

Thread: Dan's Garage - 2008 Porsche Carrera S - Arena Red - Opti-Coat

Default Dan's Garage - 2008 Porsche Carrera S - Arena Red - Opti-Coat

The owner of this 2008 Porsche Carrera S picked up the car in Nov last year. It's his daily driver but he also regularly tracks it on various circuits around Vic.

It's very refreshing to see a car like this being put on the track and the owner has done mods to it in terms of upgraded Brembos from a GT3 and also race pads

etc.

The car as presented

Nice big Brembo "dinner plate" rotors and calipers up front. The race pads dump a fair bit of brake dust as you'd imagine

Rubber scuffing from all the track work. I'd say this has happened when the front wheels kick up hot rubber "marbles" on the track and they end up splattering on

the protective plastic on the leading edge of the rear guards

Adhesive residue from racing stickers

Chemical decontamination finding and removing lots of metal particulates attached to the wheels from brake dust etc as you'd imagine

A solid couple of rounds of iron and tar remover for the insides of the guards also in order to loosen up and remove the hardened tar and rubber caught up in

there

Chemical decontamination across the paintwork, picking up lots of particulates.

Rinsed off and then two rounds of APC soak on the wheels and full clean with various brushes and wheel woolies (inc inside the wheel barrels)

Full foam wash and soak

Brushwork around the more intricate areas such as badges and panel gaps etc

Rinse, two bucket wash, and then a following rinse and dry. The car was then clayed via surface prep towel and then examined under the lights.
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Medium levels of swirling present

Nice RID (Random In-Depth Scratch) across the roof as well

You'll also notice in many of these pics the apparent pin-holing across the car, indicating a lowish paint depth. Running the ultrasonic paint depth gauge over

the car yielded average of 100 - 110 microns for the panels, and high 60s for plastic sections (bumpers, mirrors, rear engine louver etc). Not a lot to work with

considering these cars come with roughly 160-170 microns from the factory, however as the car is being Opti-Coated it shouldn't pose the owner too many issues in

the future due to the fact that the Opti-Coat should negate the need for yearly paint corrections to keep the car looking good.

A closer look at the rubber scuffing shown earlier. Caution would have to be exercised with machine polishing PPF (Paint Protection Film) as it can be easily

overheated and go opaque if worked too hard.

Correcting the rear engine louver. This was done at low speed on the rotary with 4" pads. Three stage correction using Orange, then White, then Red LC CCS pads, and Megs M105, Scholl S30+, and 3M UltraFina respectively. The UltraFina was used as the rotary jeweling stage to amp up the gloss.

Other panels post-correction. The Rupes was primarily used with a combo of Megs M105, Scholl S40+, and 3M UltraFina for a three stage polish.

PPF on the rear guards corrected to remove the scuffing

Adhesive residue cleaned off and corrected

Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 08-04-2013 at 09:09 AM.
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Once corrected the car was then Opti-Coated. Some nice gloss pics

These louvers are one of my favourite parts on a 911

Some final outdoor shots. No direct sun unfortunately. It was hiding.

The advantage to having minimal clear coat left is that at least there's very little orange peel, as can be demonstrated in the clarity of the following pics

The wheels were sealed with FK100p high-temp wax to add gloss and protection

Time spent - approx 25hrs

Thanks for looking. Comments welcome as always

Dan

friggin love the 911 Carrera S...
    i would love one, to my mind they're the perfect all-round car, moreso than the R35
    well done giving this one a well deserved make over (track war )

Awesome Dan

The thing when I left it had positive signs that it had been tracked... A few times

Did it justice and love the back. Look absolutely wonderful

Peter "SLIXX"

Thanks Guys

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

awesome work yet again!!

Top notch Dan

farout man looks so good

Thanks guys.

I detailed this owner's dad's Merc ML350 this weekend just gone. It wasn't until they left with the Merc that I noticed they'd overpaid me. I jumped on the phone to let them know and to turn around and come back, but he said he did it deliberately as a thank-you for the effort I put in to both his and his Dad's car....... made my night that did.

@tangcla he is going to call you about a photo shoot. He wants to get his windscreen sticker re-done first as it's not as neat as it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Fiend View Post
    I detailed this owner's dad's Merc ML350 this weekend just gone. It wasn't until they left with the Merc that I noticed they'd overpaid me. I jumped on the phone to let them know and to turn around and come back, but he said he did it deliberately as a thank-you for the effort I put in to both his and his Dad's car....... made my night that did.
    That's awesome of him to do that!

@tangcla he is going to call you about a photo shoot. He wants to get his windscreen sticker re-done first as it's not as neat as it should be.
    Thanks, do you mean the ML or the Carrera?
    Thanks either way
    Contact me if you'd like your car photographed. I also do wedding and event photography too.

www.tangcla.com - automotive photography

Canon 5D Mark III x2 | 16-35mm f/2.8L | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    100mm f/2.8L IS macro | 200mm f/2.0L IS | 580EX-II x2 | 430EX-II | PocketWizard TT1/TT5

Thanks guys.

That is awesome, The best form of feedback

The Carrera mate

The Carrera mate

Stuff that... ML ftw...

Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Heheheh

Great work Dan. The exhaust surrounds look funky. Bit if heat protection

Respect!

Love your work mate. That is serious effort involved with the correction of that carrera.

Thanks Guys