User Tag List

Thread: Car Covers

Default Car Covers

I'm looking at getting a snug custom cover for the MPS. Previous covers, as good as universal may be, just don't cut the mustard.

I know some are against covers, as they do more damage with the contact to edges and abrasives.

But surely some of these, perhaps not he Mazda ones though, should be up to looking after the Duco...

It has MAzda on it...
    Car Cover - L11 - Mazda 3 5dr

It has MAZDASPEED on it , but looks to be for GENI...Hmmm...
    CAR COVER (BLMS-8M-L31) - $240.10 - BLMS8ML31

The "ducks nuts" it seems.
    Auto-Pyjama® / PermaBag® / Auto-Storm® / TireShoes® von J. F. Stanley & Co.

This is a really good website, gives loads of options...Not cheap of course. I like this one. Bomb proof (aka bat-poo)
    WeatherShield® HD Covers

I like the Silverguard Plus.
    https://www.coverking.com/
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

Are you wanting to protect the car just from dust? Or will it be expected to protect the car from the elements (rain, wind etc). Ie is the car kept outside, where a heavier duty cover will be required, or is it kept in a garage, where a lighter (dust-only) cover will be required?

Hey Dan, thanks for the reply. It will be for outdoor protection. We don't have a garage, and as I only drive the car twice a week now, the dust is killing me.

Also, its for bird/bat poo protection as well rain.

These covers were easy to find, but it's questions like how they affect the paint on a car, and experiences people have had is what I'd like answered.

Plus, I'm thinking the snug fit will prevent too much front than a universal version as there won't be much movement.

Sent from Samsung Note 2 LTE
    Redbull is DEAD!!

I have a couple of Autotecnica covers on our old stuff.
    After several years they ar like new and have not caused any problems to the cars.
    They have ventilation holes, nicely lined inside.
    However, they are used inside only, so I have no idea how they will hold up to UV.

We bought a heavy duty car cover for my wife's MX5. It sits outside also and we wanted something to protect it also from potential hail damage. Not sure what the situation is like regarding hail in Bris, but in Melb it can happen up to couple a of times a year with enough intensity to damage/dent paintwork. It wasn't cheap but it's still cheaper and less painful than making an insurance claim to repair hail damage.

My advice would be to look for a cover with a soft lining (doesn't necessarily need to be hail resistant to offer that). The other important thing with covers that have a soft lining is to keep them out of the weather when not on the car, so the lining doesn't get wet and get grit etc caught in it that can drag across your paintwork when the cover is next used.

As you have Opti-Coat, you'll have better scratch resistance against this sort of thing and also potential rubbing of the cover against the bumpers/guards etc in high winds. It's not infallible though and the most you can do to protect the inside of the cover from getting dirty, the better.
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

This is the one i use

Stormguard Full Waterproof Car Cover

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    I have a couple of Autotecnica covers on our old stuff.
    After several years they ar like new and have not caused any problems to the cars.
    They have ventilation holes, nicely lined inside.
    However, they are used inside only, so I have no idea how they will hold up to UV.
    They might sell an outdoor version, I'll look into it.Thanks mate.
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Fiend View Post
    We bought a heavy duty car cover for my wife's MX5. It sits outside also and we wanted something to protect it also from potential hail damage. Not sure what the situation is like regarding hail in Bris, but in Melb it can happen up to couple a of times a year with enough intensity to damage/dent paintwork. It wasn't cheap but it's still cheaper and less painful than making an insurance claim to repair hail damage.

My advice would be to look for a cover with a soft lining (doesn't necessarily need to be hail resistant to offer that). The other important thing with covers that have a soft lining is to keep them out of the weather when not on the car, so the lining doesn't get wet and get grit etc caught in it that can drag across your paintwork when the cover is next used.

As you have Opti-Coat, you'll have better scratch resistance against this sort of thing and also potential rubbing of the cover against the bumpers/guards etc in high winds. It's not infallible though and the most you can do to protect the inside of the cover from getting dirty, the better.
    Thanks Dan, some of the covers I've seen have 5 layers, so would inherently have that protection. But in 6 years at our house, we've never experienced hail, but there is always a first time.
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Old thread, but looking for a car cover for my Gen1 MPS3. It lives under a carport, but it's still very much outside.
    Anyone have any first hand experience they can share?
    @Yeldarb - What did you end up choosing?