User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question - Wheel upgrade or Turbo Ugrade?

Default Question - Wheel upgrade or Turbo Ugrade?

So lets say I have come into some funds. What shoud I do, very keen for both new wheels and some more boost but cant have best of both worlds!

Would be looking at second Enkei/Rays/Works/ want something light weight or a GT3071/2876 maybe BNR S3.

What are your thoughts or suggestions? Its a pretty clear cut but wheels are nice!

Thanks
    Last edited by KFuNk; 29-03-2013 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Changed

Turbo! No brainer!

go fast in straight line? or fast left and right + looks?
    i would put aside at least $2k for the turbo upgrade

Not straight line anymore. Track work, $2k is what I'm planning for.

Tyres > Brakes > Rear Swaybar > Suspension > Power > Wheels

I get increasingly skeptical every time I read about a big turbo build that is full of gremlins, or doesn't work at all. If you want to go racing you need reliability, there are heaps of people who I race with that have ridiculously built cars that go fast for exactly one event per year and the rest of the time there is always something wrong with the damn thing. Think LONG AND HARD before committing to a big turbo, in my opinion any turbo upgrade is not worth the sacrifice in reliability.
    Last edited by Reedy; 29-03-2013 at 02:45 PM.

Turbo Upgrade K-man!

Quote Originally Posted by KFuNk View Post
    For track work I would be looking towards suspension/brake upgrades:
    -Rims look good and do remove some unsprung weight.
    -A turbo makes you go fast, providing you have to supporting mods and $$$ to buy any mods you need to support the bigger turbo.
    -Brakes mean you can mash them for longer without fade and reduce your braking distance so you can stay on the accelerator longer
    -Suspension will give you more grip, higher corner speed and ultimately means your average speed is faster.

...my 0.02c
    SG9 XT: VF34 P20, Tomei headers, STI intercooler HSD coilovers, Brembos and much more...

tires/brakes/wheels then
    and put the rest towards practicing...
    im putting out more power than @Reedy and @Jamesa2z yet i cant come close to reedy, and only beat james by less than half a second... and honestly, i think my biggest improvement over my last session, was decent tires, not extra grunt
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

H&R coil overs + Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 + drilled slotted rotors, better pads (Ferodo DS2500 for example) + brake fluid then follow with every bolt on + tune to get most out of stock K04, car will be awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Speed3 View Post
    H&R coil overs + Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 + drilled slotted rotors, better pads (Ferodo DS2500 for example) + brake fluid then follow with every bolt on + tune to get most out of stock K04, car will be awesome
    H&R Coils = $2000 almost so there is the budget gone

2-3 weeks ago I was thinking to go big turbo... but then I did a track day and now that has turned around! All my upcoming mods will be brakes/suspension. The COBB AP gives you plenty of power in my opinion so I won't be chasing more for now, I will be trying to get it down to the ground
    SG9 XT: VF34 P20, Tomei headers, STI intercooler HSD coilovers, Brembos and much more...

Quote Originally Posted by DAN MPS 3 View Post
    H&R Coils = $2000 almost so there is the budget gone

2-3 weeks ago I was thinking to go big turbo... but then I did a track day and now that has turned around! All my upcoming mods will be brakes/suspension. The COBB AP gives you plenty of power in my opinion so I won't be chasing more for now, I will be trying to get it down to the ground
    Whoops lol my mistake... Should've read the budget better before recommending $3500 in wheels & tyres!

In which case, larkspeed.com sells Koni STR.T shocks with H&R sport springs for roughly $750 landed ($575 plus shipping from UK), coupled with a set of RE-11 if they can be squeezed in... That'll work quite well.

2011 Mazda 3 MPS

Whoops lol my mistake... Should've read the budget better before recommending $3500 in wheels & tyres!

In which case, larkspeed.com sells Koni STR.T shocks with H&R sport springs for roughly $750 landed ($575 plus shipping from UK), coupled with a set of RE-11 if they can be squeezed in... That'll work quite well.

I did my first track day with only H&R Springs and found the stock shocks are great for entry level stuff

Next up is REM and RSB to sharpen it up more. Plus a little more front camber...

I don't think a BT is going to help times. It may actually make you slower as you struggle for grip.. Sort the suspension, wheels and rubber.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    I don't think a BT is going to help times. It may actually make you slower as you struggle for grip.. Sort the suspension, wheels and rubber.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Stock MPS + 3" CB + SRI + COBB AP S1 = Struggle for grip in some tight 2nd gear corners. I don't need more power until I get wider rubber

The motor mount should help the wheels skipping when I power out from a corner? I know it won't stop the wheep-spin but when it bounces back on the mount it sounds terrable
    Last edited by DAN MPS 3; 29-03-2013 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DAN MPS 3 View Post
    Stock MPS + 3" CB + SRI + COBB AP = Struggle for grip in some tight 2nd gear corners. I don't need more power until I get wider rubber
    dont really need wider, but better...
    AD08's or RS3's are my suggestions for tires
    both are about $1000-1100 landed and fitted in 235/40/18's
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    dont really need wider, but better...
    AD08's or RS3's are my suggestions for tires
    both are about $1000-1100 landed and fitted in 235/40/18's
    I had Bridgestone Potenza's on my WRX and loved them

Are the factory Dunlops that shit? I found them to be pretty grippy but they fall off pretty quick when you cook them (typical road tyre)

I have everything that you've mentioned not the same but those upgrades. DGR Coilovers, DBA 4000+Remsa+RBF6000, Achillies 123S, RSB and Toe arms, Upgraded all Mounts however I've maxed out my KO4. FMIC, Dump, Exhaust, Intake and Flash Tune.

Tyres are not a problem already budgeted either Hankooks RS3/Federal 595 R-SR's. Power is now what I want. Although in saying that I wouldn't mind more bracing all over even as far as to say Rollcage.
    Last edited by KFuNk; 29-03-2013 at 04:05 PM.
    2XS+ChipTorque=DeathStar

I have everything that you've mentioned not the same but those upgrades. DGR Coilovers, DBA 4000+Remsa+RBF6000, Achillies 123Sm, RSB and Toe arms, Upgraded all Mounts however I've maxed out my KO4. FMIC, Dump, Exhaust, Intake and Flash Tune.
    Maybe try to get a BNR S2 (if you can still get them?) that would be a good track-oriented turbo. Enough flow to get more KW without losing your bottem end torque.

I would imagine the BNR S3 would be a bigger frame turbo? or is it just an exhaust housing difference?

The 3MPS struggles in the chassis department with the max that a K04 can provide. So if you want to go around corners and stop, anything but BT.

Quote Originally Posted by TD View Post
    The 3MPS struggles in the chassis department with the max that a K04 can provide. So if you want to go around corners and stop, anything but BT.
    With some decent Coils/Spring&Shock, Sway Bar, REM and Strut Bracing I am sure you can bring it up a few levels. The new-age WRX suffers the same issues, it uses AWD to hide the flaws however.
    In a few review they say the chassis is good, but is overworked by the engine/torque. The BK Chassis is Suppose to be more robust/stiffer at the expense of very little weight gain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast