User Tag List

Thread: A bit down on power - things to check...

Default A bit down on power - things to check...

Hi guys.

I've got a Gen II that's got about 60k on the clock and I feel for the last 20k kms it has been a little bit down on power and has lost a bit of that signature shove when it was new. I've checked/tightened my intercooler hoses/clamps, cleaned my MAF/IAT sensor with some MAF sensor cleaner following a guide that was on here, but it didn't make much difference. If anyone else has any other ideas that would be awesome.

Cheers.

Did you take the car to Mazda for 40k service?
    I've heard they reset the computer or possibly de-tune at 40k service.

TBH though I took mine to Mazda for 40k service though and havent really noticed a decrease in power.

Could it be just due to weather or just getting use to the standard power?

Yeah I did take it in to Mazda for the 40k service. De-tuning my car would be a bit suss, but they did something similar to the Gen Is so I wouldn't be surprised. It's been relatively mild climate wise recently. I purchased one of those cheap BT OBDII readers and used Torque on Android and boost didn't seem to get past 13.5 in 4th WOT. Maybe I need a Cobb AP to get some proper data logging?

I've been doing a bit of light reading and it seems these engines can suffer from carbon build up on the intake valves over time: Carbon build-up for Speed 6/3. Big issue!!! - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum - even a link from that page showing someone with an RS4 being down over 40WHP just due to the gunk buildup on the valves.

Anyone had their intake valves cleaned before? I imagine it's not easy or cheap.

What about Spark Plugs? Valves are time consuming invloves taking off intake manifold.

Quote Originally Posted by GoonBong View Post
    I've been doing a bit of light reading and it seems these engines can suffer from carbon build up on the intake valves over time: Carbon build-up for Speed 6/3. Big issue!!! - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum - even a link from that page showing someone with an RS4 being down over 40WHP just due to the gunk buildup on the valves.

Anyone had their intake valves cleaned before? I imagine it's not easy or cheap.
    Ive done mine, removing the manifold really isnt that hard, as Ive said before just a few tight spots for some bolts. I can't say I noticed much difference after doing mine and they were pretty bad, YRMV..
    Id be doing a boost leak test before you bother with that, if its a gen2 the valves shouldnt be that bad being much newer than mine.
    '05 6 MPS | BNR S3 | JBR 3.5" Intake | Corksport Airbox | CP-E 3.25" TMIC | M2 DP | CP-E CBE | CP-E/TT Diff Mounts | Autotech HPFP Internals | JBR REM, PMM, TMM | SURE Shortcut | SURE Countershift | SURE Anchors | Denso ITV22s | JBR TIGs | EGR Delete | Coolant Bypass | PTP Inj Seals | MD OCC | H&R Springs | Bilstein B8 Shocks | Car-LED Tails | Badgeless Grille | 6000k HIDs | OZ Ultraleggera 18x8 +48

Thanks lads. I've had the intercooler hoses checked but one of those smoke testers some blokes use might be more effective in checking for leaks. I'll look at having the plugs checked and gaped and maybe get the dealer to clean my valves next service if they aren't going to rape my wallet in the process.

I reckon it might be that mazda update. I used to run 16psi minimum with a TMIC (and other mods) stock original tune. Since updates she's a little down on boost.
    If I were you, best bang for buck would be the Cobb AP to get you back and beyond what you originally had.
    Last edited by rogwick; 10-04-2013 at 04:36 PM.

Good point. Might spoil myself, grab the AP and dial in a stage 1 stock as a rock OTS map. Thanks champ.