User Tag List

Thread: Dan's Garage - 2008 Mazda 6 - Metallic Purple - Opti-Coat

Default Dan's Garage - 2008 Mazda 6 - Metallic Purple - Opti-Coat

This is the Mazda 6 I had in the garage this weekend just gone.

The car overall was quite well cared for, however there were several areas on the car that had significant localised damage. This is owing to the fact that the owner used to work at a market and would park in the public carpark, where a lot of damage to the car was incurred.

The car as presented

Paint readings unfortunately were very low across the car. Average of high 60s, so much of the damage could only be minimised at best.

Aforementioned damage

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After (scratches minimised)

Before

After (significantly reduced)

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Final Pics

Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Great job Dan (as always) but question...how did the car get that scratched in the first place? Pretty careless owner

Thanks Andre.

The damage was mainly from random vandalism and also carelessness from shoppers while parked in the public market carpark. It wasn't what you'd call the safest place unfortunately.

The owner loves her car and I could tell she was really saddened by the state it was in. She told me that there was new damage almost daily and it happened no matter where she parked it. Fortunately she doesn't work there anymore.

She was rapt with the final result. I think it's rekindled some of the love she had for it.
    Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 19-03-2013 at 02:05 PM.
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

That's nice to hear. I know a lot of folks who place all sorts of stuff including keys on the paintwork. I always park in the corner of the shopping centre car park or across the road to minimise people parking around me.

Glad to hear she was happy with the result! Always nice to appreciate your car again!

I must ask, why on earth are paint level so low on such a new car??

Could be any reason mate. I've seen similarly aged RX8s with the same problem. Probably several over enthusiastic details that removed a lot of the clear.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

far out mate..this car must have been a real test for you, the post detail pics speak for themselves though..TOP JOB BLOKE

Thanks Mate

Often the hardest part is recognising that a scratch won't completely come out. It's sometimes a balancing act that has to be performed between the depth of the damage and the amount of paint on the panel. As much as I strive for perfectionism, a healthy dose of realism also needs to be employed.

I never make any promises to owners as to whether something will completely come out or not, even if I've taken paint depth readings in their presence. My response is always "I'll try my best"

That's radiant ebony? Its probably the time of day but I'm certain I can see more of the red/purple fleck coming out in your post pics.

Gorgeous Dan.

Sent from Samsung Note 2 LTE

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    That's radiant ebony? Its probably the time of day but I'm certain I can see more of the red/purple fleck coming out in your post pics.

Gorgeous Dan.

Sent from Samsung Note 2 LTE
    Yep, or Dark Cherry Mica in the US market I believe. 99.9% certain it's the same radiant ebony mica as on the shinka RX8s. Beautiful colour

Thanks Brad.

+1 Dan excellent work as usual. One of the very few to whom I would entrust my paint.

My wife's car is in similar shape to this - being the child carrier + shopping trolley it has suffered its fair share of abuse in car parks.. people are just careless and inconsiderate of other peoples property, its value and the owners pride in it.

Thanks Tim. A very nice thing for you to say

I find it really impressive that you are able to reduce the extent of those problem areas through a corrective process. I had no idea it was even possible!

Top notch as per usual