User Tag List

Thread: Annoying sound from engine bay

1. Default Annoying sound from engine bay

Hey guys,

I've got an MPS 6. During first and second gear, and very lightly on third .. I get a loud and annoying whinding sound. Some told me it could be my transfer case, and some say it is just my turbo spooling up .. ? Any thoughts !

Transfer case or diff whine possible. Lift the handbrake one click while driving and see if it goes away.
    Have you changed the transfer case/diff fluid? Transfer case failure is common for the 6 unfortunately, when draining look for excessive amount of metal shavings.
    It could also be your diff mounts failing. I have the same thing and it has gotten worse in the past few weeks, suspect my mounts failing as Ive changed my fluids already.
    Few more things, check tyre pressure and alignment can all contribute to the annoying whine noise.
    Last edited by dazza; 19-03-2013 at 01:23 PM.

Won't be turbo. The turbo, when in correct operation makes hardly any noise. Does it happen in the other gears? What about when you rev the motor?

4. Default

I will try the handbrake click method today. I have not changed any fluids though i will do that with my oil soon ! It is only loud in first and second, third is a little quieter. Revving the motor doesnt make the sound at all.

Odd that it's only lower gears. If the motor sounds fine then it's unlikely it's bearing or anything (happening on a mates car at the moment, constant whine noise from the bearing)

Transfer case has been an issue from a few people so maybe check that out