User Tag List

Thread: Cracked Rim

1. Default Cracked Rim

I have recently spotted a crack on my rim. Ive been told its cast aluminum.
    Would it be safe enough to repair as i am going to be doing a fare few long distance trips (5-6 hours doing 110 - 120km/h one way and a few rough roads). I have attached a couple of photos. Advise would be appreciated.
    Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0197.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	265.9 KB 
ID:	13809   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0195.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	164.4 KB 
ID:	13810  

I'd be getting the opinion of a proper wheel repair place mate.

3. Default

Do you mind me asking what brand of rim they are? I think this is a big deciding factor of whether you should repair or not. A lot of the cheap imitation rims are prone to cracking. I would never repair those. Many horror stories to read about online!

Where are you located? There is a good wheel repairer at botany that has done some impressive work for me, not a crack tho this was just a gutter rash repair. If it can be repaired, then they will be the ones to do it.

For the price of repairing it, plus risking the unknown of is it repaired properly I personally wouldn't risk it.

6. Default

Thanks for the replies.
    It wasnt a cheap imitation, its a rota gforce rim. I think i may have done it going up a semi-high drive way with a bit of speed. It had a massive chunk out of it going all the way down to the road and it hit the inner part of my rim.
    Anyway i have just bought a new rim didnt want to go through the hassle of repairing, plus i have piece of mind that it wont fall apart.
    It is now for sale if anyone wants it lol.
    Last edited by LBGsno1; 14-03-2013 at 11:54 AM.

7. Default

I have heard of a lot worse, with the rim just bending but not cracking.
    But i spose i am silly for going up the drive way with a bit of speed.
    Last edited by LBGsno1; 14-03-2013 at 11:55 AM.

It looks like it got a pretty good hit to start with (missing a chunk) rotor or not, I've seen plenty of wheels (so called brand name wheels) that have done the same or worse.
    So I hope the full story remains with the picture and it doesn't end as another unjustified rota hate thread

It just takes the right impact at the right angle

9. Default

No Rota were pretty good about it and gave me a good price on the single wheel.
    Also I meant the driveway was missing a massive chunk not the rim, the rim only has the crack displayed in the pic.