User Tag List

Thread: P2122 Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor

Default P2122 Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor

So I was on the way home from work, going about 60-70km/h up hill and all of a sudden my speed drops off, the traction control light goes on aswel as the CEL. I pull over to the side of the road, plugged in my CobbAP and found the error P2122. Immediately, I called a mechanic mate and from what I described to him about how the car was responding.. he said the car has gone into limp mode.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Cheers,
    skylain

Nope sorry AS the name states seems pretty clear where the isssue lies, Have you googled it?

Reset ECU, see if still there...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Update: On Monday I bought a used accelerator pedal positition sensor from the wreckers. Took it to my mechanic, he installed and reset the ECU. He took it for a test drive and everything was fine. I drove it to the gym and noticed something familiar from last week, couple days before the car went into limp mode. While accelerating lightly at 2-3.5k rpm, the car felt a little jerky(very feint). On the way home literally 20 metres from my driveway the car drop into limp mode again.

Yesterday I got a mobile auto electrician to come diagnose the issue. He ran a full scan of everything and he thinks the issue is the ECU and quite certain of it.
    Apparently the ECU needs to be replaced/recoded along with the immobiliser and key and ignition assembly.

5. Default

check if the ecu wiring loomb is rubbing or touching anything. i had the same issue and it was my CAI nut which was rubbing it casuing a circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by dar_vedar View Post
    check if the ecu wiring loomb is rubbing or touching anything. i had the same issue and it was my CAI nut which was rubbing it casuing a circuit.
    Did it go into limp mode and throw the same error code? I will check the wiring loom as soon as I get home.

Just got a quote for $1400 from the auto electrician to fix everything...

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by skylain View Post
    Did it go into limp mode and throw the same error code? I will check the wiring loom as soon as I get home.

Just got a quote for $1400 from the auto electrician to fix everything...

i cannot remember the code but yes i went into limp to home mode. the error if my memory is correct was - low current throtle postion sensor or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by dar_vedar View Post
    i cannot remember the code but yes i went into limp to home mode. the error if my memory is correct was - low current throtle postion sensor or something like that.
    Thank you very much for your input

Just checked the wire loom and it looks like your right.
    The hose clamp for the CAI/TIP was rubbing into the ECU wire loom over time from engines vibration and movement and must have short circuited something(praying its not the ECU).
    I removed all the factory electrical tape and retaped each individual open/damaged wire(4 in total), reset the ECU by unplugging the battery, started the car again and still limp mode with the same error code.

How did you end up fixing it?

I'm hoping that the open/damaged wires when soldered together, will make the current high enough to not trigger the P2122 error.

It's always the same everytime.

Quote Originally Posted by KFuNk View Post
    It's always the same everytime.
    Sorry, what is?

This problem..

Unfortunately it is not cheap to fix.

Check your clamps people.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15332
    CAI + TIP installation

Take note of the clamp location here - the middle image with green circle.

I like to rotate the clamp so that the screw is actually the other way around in a mirror fashion . Ie. Turn it around not roll it clockwise of anti clockwise.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1363176880970.jpg 
Views:	1741 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	13821  

14. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    Take note of the clamp location here - the middle image with green circle.

I like to rotate the clamp so that the screw is actually the other way around in a mirror fashion . Ie. Turn it around not roll it clockwise of anti clockwise.

this is exactly what i did on my car and problem was fixed.

15. Default

Quote Originally Posted by skylain View Post
    Thank you very much for your input

Just checked the wire loom and it looks like your right.
    The hose clamp for the CAI/TIP was rubbing into the ECU wire loom over time from engines vibration and movement and must have short circuited something(praying its not the ECU).
    I removed all the factory electrical tape and retaped each individual open/damaged wire(4 in total), reset the ECU by unplugging the battery, started the car again and still limp mode with the same error code.

How did you end up fixing it?

I'm hoping that the open/damaged wires when soldered together, will make the current high enough to not trigger the P2122 error.

luckily for me i traced the issue befire it started eating into the loomb. get someone to reset your ecu with a proper tool

The SURE Sidewinder (TIP) I purchased was too long when manufactured (another faulty SURE product)

At the time I thought it was my intake and had to cut it to size. Later after reading some more info I found it was the TIP

This fault inadvertently actually was a good thing and the clamps that hold the TIP and intake together, now clear the ECU

In any case I made sure they were turned all the way around

Peter "SLIXX"

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

That's exactly what I mean pete but don't have the car to take photos.

Everyone copy Pete.
    Orrrr was it the other half of the bromance that should take credit? @MPSed

Last edited by Jmac; 14-03-2013 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    That's exactly what I mean pete but don't have the car to take photos.

Everyone copy Pete.
    Orrrr was it the other half of the bromance that should take credit? @MPSed

It was all @MPSed
    I watched him make my tools look like they the weren't in a museum, held various parts, delivered refreshments and provided encouraging commentary

Peter "SLIXX"

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing