User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ticking in the engine bay - need help!!!

1. Default Ticking in the engine bay - need help!!!

Hey everyone,

Well my mazda3 has developed a ticking in the engine bay dont all these cars haha
    Its coming from the crankshaft pulley area, the ticking is in time with the injector ticking.

I had to remove my ac belt as it became very loose and was moving about a whole lot, so its not the ac compressor as the noise should have stopped when i removed the ac belt... right?

Is there a bearing in the crankshaft pulley that might fail? or should i prepare for the worst when i take it to the mechanic
    Should i replace the tensioner pulley as well, could that make a ticking noise in the crankshaft pulley area?? i know im clutching at straws haha

Hope someone might be able to shed some light on my issue.

Thanks

2. Default

Oh forgot to add, its not using any oil or other fluids and i haven't noticed any loss in power????

Take a video of the sound

4. Default

sorry bout the sound it was taken on my iphone.

Sounds like an exhaust leak

eg: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJCjjhcaTEM

6. Default

hmmm that could be it. i will get the mechanic to check that as well. lets hope its just that. i would be one happy camper if it was just that

did you find out what the problem was? @justletgo

Wouldnt be a busted bearing or something on one of your pulleys, loose maybe?

vvt and tensioner are stuffed which means the chain's loose so you'll have to replace all 3 parts and i think it's a $1500 or so lol I've gotta do it too

10. Default

I have been away for work so i havent had a chance to put the car in to get looked at and im off to japan next week so the car will have to wait a little longer.

Sinsin..... Are you serious OUCH $1500 is that for parts and labour or just parts alone. How long has yours done it? will it just blow up one day.

11. Default

i just replaced all a few of these parts. got the parts from america for under $360 (about $762 in aus). fixed it for about $400. total cost was like $750.

Quote Originally Posted by dar_vedar View Post
    i just replaced all a few of these parts. got the parts from america for under $360 (about $762 in aus). fixed it for about $400. total cost was like $750.
    Do you have a list of all the parts required?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    '05 6 MPS | BNR S3 | JBR 3.5" Intake | Corksport Airbox | CP-E 3.25" TMIC | M2 DP | CP-E CBE | CP-E/TT Diff Mounts | Autotech HPFP Internals | JBR REM, PMM, TMM | SURE Shortcut | SURE Countershift | SURE Anchors | Denso ITV22s | JBR TIGs | EGR Delete | Coolant Bypass | PTP Inj Seals | MD OCC | H&R Springs | Bilstein B8 Shocks | Car-LED Tails | Badgeless Grille | 6000k HIDs | OZ Ultraleggera 18x8 +48

13. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    Do you have a list of all the parts required?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Yes.
    these are what I replaced in that section.

timming chain
    timming chain tensioner
    timming chain guides

VVT pulley
    Diamond washer (1 unit) - make sure you get this. these pulleys are free rotating and these washers is the only thing that creates friction and prevent your timming from changing.

Since you have to remove the crank pulley , you will need 3 diamond washers for this aswell.

i made a tool to lock the cam pulleys in place and another tool to lock the crank.

I also went ahead and replaced the serpantine belt and tensioners becasue mine was slightly noisy.

When tightening the VVT and crank pulleys is it very important to tighten it to the required torque setting. it was a fairly high figure from memory.

finally get some gasket sealant to seal the timming cover.

Note: it is a messy job. so dont atempt to do it if you dont have the estra skills.

Quote Originally Posted by justletgo View Post
    I have been away for work so i havent had a chance to put the car in to get looked at and im off to japan next week so the car will have to wait a little longer.

Sinsin..... Are you serious OUCH $1500 is that for parts and labour or just parts alone. How long has yours done it? will it just blow up one day.
    Mine's been doing it since I got it 2 months ago but it's not as loud as that, maybe mine isn't the same problem but
    it's likely that it is. I've noticed the sound of the chain is getting louder as I continue to drive the car around and I've got a heavy foot which I am going to stop using lol. $1500 is including labour; I'd try fixing it myself but don't want to stuff it up more if I don't get it right. get yours fixed as soon as you can, not sure about it blowing up though :P

Quote Originally Posted by sinsin View Post
    Mine's been doing it since I got it 2 months ago but it's not as loud as that, maybe mine isn't the same problem but
    it's likely that it is. I've noticed the sound of the chain is getting louder as I continue to drive the car around and I've got a heavy foot which I am going to stop using lol. $1500 is including labour; I'd try fixing it myself but don't want to stuff it up more if I don't get it right. get yours fixed as soon as you can, not sure about it blowing up though :P
    Buy the parts yourself, as above and im pretty sure JP from edge will be able to send you the whole kit then just pay for labor.
    '05 6 MPS | BNR S3 | JBR 3.5" Intake | Corksport Airbox | CP-E 3.25" TMIC | M2 DP | CP-E CBE | CP-E/TT Diff Mounts | Autotech HPFP Internals | JBR REM, PMM, TMM | SURE Shortcut | SURE Countershift | SURE Anchors | Denso ITV22s | JBR TIGs | EGR Delete | Coolant Bypass | PTP Inj Seals | MD OCC | H&R Springs | Bilstein B8 Shocks | Car-LED Tails | Badgeless Grille | 6000k HIDs | OZ Ultraleggera 18x8 +48

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    Buy the parts yourself, as above and im pretty sure JP from edge will be able to send you the whole kit then just pay for labor.
    JP from edge? I have no idea who that is lol, so you mean buy the parts as in buy them from 'JP' ?

17. Default

JP from edge? I have no idea who that is lol, so you mean buy the parts as in buy them from 'JP' ?
    he is the guy i bought my part off as well. good customer service and ill vouch for him.

Default Ticking in the engine bay - need help!!!

If you know what you want you can either buy then from www.edgeautosport.com or you can email JP and he can sometime give you better shipping rates and send you an invoice to pay

JP@edgeautosport.com

Peter "SLIXX"

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

19. Default

USE THIS AS A REFERENCE ONLY. These are the part number for my car (2007 mazdaspeed 3 / mps 3)

VVT Pully and assembly - L3K9124X0C
    Timing Chain - L3K912201A
    Tensioner - L3K912500A

I have not inclueded the diamond washers becasue i bought them here in aus (big mistake paid $80+ for 4 washers). include these with your order

Thanks guys, that's a big help I appreciate it! I'll ask him for the diamond washers as well hopefully not too steep

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast