User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ticking in the engine bay - need help!!!

1. Default

@dazza If i look at the crank shaft pulley (bottom pulley above the AC compressor) it has a slight wiggle from side to side while its going and i can swear thats where the knocking if coming from... im no mechanic tho
    @sinsin rip off your drivers front wheel and check the crank shaft pulley, see if its moving slightly side to side. we might have the same issue just at different stages of failure haha

Anyone know a really good mazda mechanic on the northside as i would like a second opinion before i dive into lifter replacement option i have been given as im sure there is no cheap way around that

Quote Originally Posted by justletgo View Post
    @dazza If i look at the crank shaft pulley (bottom pulley above the AC compressor) it has a slight wiggle from side to side while its going and i can swear thats where the knocking if coming from... im no mechanic tho
    @sinsin rip off your drivers front wheel and check the crank shaft pulley, see if its moving slightly side to side. we might have the same issue just at different stages of failure haha

Anyone know a really good mazda mechanic on the northside as i would like a second opinion before i dive into lifter replacement option i have been given as im sure there is no cheap way around that
    Haven't heard of the crankshaft pulley being an issue before but could be something to check out

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    '05 6 MPS | BNR S3 | JBR 3.5" Intake | Corksport Airbox | CP-E 3.25" TMIC | M2 DP | CP-E CBE | CP-E/TT Diff Mounts | Autotech HPFP Internals | JBR REM, PMM, TMM | SURE Shortcut | SURE Countershift | SURE Anchors | Denso ITV22s | JBR TIGs | EGR Delete | Coolant Bypass | PTP Inj Seals | MD OCC | H&R Springs | Bilstein B8 Shocks | Car-LED Tails | Badgeless Grille | 6000k HIDs | OZ Ultraleggera 18x8 +48

@dazza & @justletgo I can't see the pulleys moving... Might need to get under it and have a listen though. I'm starting to get paranoid about lifters now because the sound is coming from the top end driver's side... Chain is very loose so I'm thinking it might be slapping against shit and not sitting on the guides properly ?

Level of Confusion + paranoia = 200,001 lol

4. Default

one thing my mechanic did say to me was, you always make a noise out to be worse than it actually is haha i know im guilty of that, ebvery time i hear a knock or a "strange" noise i freak out and think everything is about to go pear shaped haha

So does anyone have a mechanic they recommend on the north side?

Brisbane north side ? I don't know any up there BUT what I do know is that my genwon was (by the first owner) bought and serviced at Eagers Mazda in Newstead ... That's closeish to north side maybe try them? I'm taking mine to a few places tomorrow in Macgregor, Salisbury (maybe) and definitely Moorooka There's a good workshop there he does electrics and mechanics. I will get some quotes and opinions from them and let you know @justletgo

Actually, since I mentioned my service history, the 50k service was done at Future Auto Service Centres - Everton Hills..
    the address is: Unit 6, 37 Queens Rd, Everton Hills, QLD 4053
    Their number: (07) 3355 6939
    Last edited by sinsin; 25-04-2013 at 08:16 PM.

6. Default

Sweet, i was searching mazda mechanics and stumbled on future auto, might check them out.

2 questions....... Feel anything through the clutch? on idle has it changed (you will need to have listened to it carefully before)? Sorry if it was asked didn't read through thread

Quote Originally Posted by RedDjinn View Post
    2 questions....... Feel anything through the clutch? on idle has it changed (you will need to have listened to it carefully before)? Sorry if it was asked didn't read through thread
    I can't feel anything different regarding the clutch. The mechanics I went to were useless all except 1.. CENTREX at MacGregor. they were servicing a VR GenII at the time I took it in, they told me to do the tensioner and it should be fine. if not then it is the vvt and they just have to replace it and set it to TDC, line up the yadayada and then it should be fixed.

They also said it can't be sprockets because the piston heads have grooves and they have a certain amount of clearance so even if the valves werent being opened up properly or in time the pistons still shouldnt/wouldnt hit and cause damage to them. Based on what they said FOR ME: I'm ruling out sprockets and lifters.

Act like you know it all about the issue go and get it fixed at a Mazda dealer... they fixed mine out of warranty I had a highly modded mps

But mine is an 06, and I can't drive the car anymore the chain is going to skip a gear and then bye bye mzr... It being a 06 means warrantys long finished lol
    Last edited by sinsin; 28-04-2013 at 12:31 PM.

12. Default

@sinsin - Mate had any luck with just replacing the tensioner? im trying to work out what parts to bring in from the states as everyone here wants massive $$$$$ for parts alone
    You can replace the tensioner your self hey, you dont need to take it to a mechanic. i think i remember seeing a "how to" guide somewhere in one of the US forums.

@justletgo man its a bitch to do. the tensioner sits at the bottom above the pulleys for the oil pump chain. I don't know if I should post this link in a new thread as a How to or in Tech Talk but ill show you guys the link now, you'll see where everything sits. bit of a read but has pics to show steps... its a rebuild thread so you can scroll down to where you see chains and pulleys...

I've taken mine to my mechanic and he thinks it's just the tensioner for me (you've heard the video recording of the noises mine has), ill get it back on monday afternoon hopefully.

Here's the link
    How To: Assemble A Forged MZR DISI Motor
    Last edited by sinsin; 11-05-2013 at 09:27 AM.

14. Default

what mechanic did you take it to? i havent been able to get into future auto (everton park) they are flat out i kinda want to get mine sorted before it gets any worse

Mine's at Centrax Auto Engineering in MacGregor, I live in Carindale so it's close to me and the guys seem to know what they're doing... I've had a few chats about how the chain, vvt, tensioner works and sits and etc with them they know their stuff. If you want, I'll give you his number and you can call him Monday n see if he can help you out?

16. Default

Yeah mate that would be awesome im happy to leave the car with them if they know what they are doing

17. Default

@sinsin Mate how did you go with that mechanics? did they solve all your issues? and the million dollar question how much did they assault your bank balance haha. (can you flick through their details with you get a spare minute, want to give them a call and see if i can drop mine in for a look over) Thanks

@justletgo I got her back today quiet as a mouse!! New tensioner and new timing chain plus labour cost me $710 and shes running beautifully if not better than ever. Definitely feel more power now didn't realise I had lost this power before. I will say this it turns out cheaper if you get the parts yourself but that's up to you. Steven bought the tensioner and timing chain from Mazda here for me though... It was $140 for the chain and roughly same price for tensioner. 5-6 hours labour quoted by Mazda so these guys charged me the same HOURS (which I think is fair) but at a very much lower rate. Mazda quoted me (and Steve when he asked) $1000 just for timing chain replacement alone. :wtf:

I pm'd you their details a few nights ago including the address, phone number and steve's own mobile number. Not sure if you received it but let me know if you have more questions I'm happy to help a brother out

19. Default

Hmmm never got that PM. mind sending it through again.
    $710... that sounds like a bargin for quieting my baby.
    How many days did they have it for?

I told him to take his time and that Im not in a rush so he had it for 1 week
    I think it's a decent price hopefully all you need is tensioner and chain!
    Im really happy with the job they did and the way they dealt with me and my car
    Will send that PM through now for you

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast