User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ticking in the engine bay - need help!!!

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by sinsin View Post
    Thanks guys, that's a big help I appreciate it! I'll ask him for the diamond washers as well hopefully not too steep
    anytime. you are better off getting it donw via mazda. reason not many mechanics know this engine (it is very similar to the ecoTec engines).
    i rang up City Mazda when i was doing mine who then (about 1 month ago) quoted me about 4.5 hours in labor (about $500 ish)

Quote Originally Posted by dar_vedar View Post
    anytime. you are better off getting it donw via mazda. reason not many mechanics know this engine (it is very similar to the ecoTec engines).
    i rang up City Mazda when i was doing mine who then (about 1 month ago) quoted me about 4.5 hours in labor (about $500 ish)
    I emailed JP n said I need all the parts you mentioned plus the tensioner guide and chain guide. He hasnt got back to mme yet. I hate the stealerships to be honest, they're always dodgy they say tey fixed iit then the problem comes back after 3-6 months or so and then they say it's probably your fault or you drive too hard or some bs like that lol. I'll ask them but I might ask some other places whose work is good also

Jp was no help didnt even get back to me!!!!

4. Default

Jp was no help didnt even get back to me!!!!
    he was of alot of help to me. may be he is on holidays or somethin..

he was of alot of help to me. may be he is on holidays or somethin..
    How exactly did you contact him cause I emailed edge as well as 'Jap@eadge...'

6. Default

How exactly did you contact him cause I emailed edge as well as 'Jap@eadge...'
    his eamil address is jp@edge.... not jap@,,,,
    adn i emailed as well as called him becasue i was in a huirry to get my parts.

his eamil address is jp@edge.... not jap@,,,,
    adn i emailed as well as called him becasue i was in a huirry to get my parts.
    yea thats the one i emailed lol. IMO thats just slack.. not doing business with them if they can't answer simple inquiries on THEIR own products

8. Default

cheers for the info guys, just got back from japan so i will be trying to book my car in soon and get it looked at

Sinsin... let me know how yours goes

9. Default

Update: @sinsin
    Got the car back from the mechanics today, with new CV joints, oh such a smoother ride.
    They also checked out my ticking, they said the noise i coming from the head, which they put down to the lifters. They checked out the tensioner and stuff, they said the timing chain was still tight so the tensioner is still doing its job.

They are going to get back to me with a cost to replace/adjust the lifters.

Question --- does the 04' sp23 have mechanical or hydraulic lifters? just want to try and do my own pricing so im not floored by the price.

@justletgo mate I think we have different problems but yea the noise on mine is also coming from the head as well I'll post a video up if I can. With mine you can definitely hear the chain is loose ... and not sure about the sp engines sorry dude

11. Default

Sweet, thanks mate. yeah a video might help.

Hopefully someone will point me in the direction for the lifters.

Just out of interest how many km's has your engine done? Has it been serviced regularly?
    My engine is making some ticking noises but not like yours. Just trying to get a feel for what problems I might be up for. Thanks.

13. Default

170k on the clock and yep its serviced every 5k-7k depending on how busy i am

Quote Originally Posted by justletgo View Post
    Sweet, thanks mate. yeah a video might help.

Hopefully someone will point me in the direction for the lifters.
    Heres the video i took the other night! Ticking noise mazda3 mps mazdapseed3 - YouTube

by the way mate you have my permission to use that link in the original post if you want to update it and state whether it IS or is NOT the problem you're having
    Last edited by sinsin; 23-04-2013 at 04:03 PM.

that sounds to me like a loose bearing or idler pulley banging, id check your pulleys and replace them to metal ones... if you look down under the belt very closely are any of the pulleys wobbling side to side?
    Last edited by dazza; 23-04-2013 at 04:31 PM.

16. Default

that is definetly not vvt. vvt is only for about 2 seconds on cold starts.
    that sounds more like valves.
    the easiest way to tell is put a hose on each pulley's center and listen to the noise. if you dont know what to look for take it to someone that knows. if it is the lifters, its a failry big job.

Not fuel pump, that's on other side of engine...

At about the 10 second point is where the noise seems to be coming from..

Not 100% certain what that is...

Lifters? FCUKKK that is not good! I hope it's not

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    that sounds to me like a loose bearing or idler pulley banging, id check your pulleys and replace them to metal ones... if you look down under the belt very closely are any of the pulleys wobbling side to side?
    If its loose pulleys isn't it supposed to make squeaking and squeeling noises instead of knocks?

If its loose pulleys isn't it supposed to make squeaking and squeeling noises instead of knocks?
    technically speaking yes I suppose it should but you have to rule each thing out as you go
    '05 6 MPS | BNR S3 | JBR 3.5" Intake | Corksport Airbox | CP-E 3.25" TMIC | M2 DP | CP-E CBE | CP-E/TT Diff Mounts | Autotech HPFP Internals | JBR REM, PMM, TMM | SURE Shortcut | SURE Countershift | SURE Anchors | Denso ITV22s | JBR TIGs | EGR Delete | Coolant Bypass | PTP Inj Seals | MD OCC | H&R Springs | Bilstein B8 Shocks | Car-LED Tails | Badgeless Grille | 6000k HIDs | OZ Ultraleggera 18x8 +48

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast