User Tag List

Thread: Audio cutting out

Default Audio cutting out

Hey guys,

Not sure if someone has had this problem yet.

The sound on my audio unit cuts out randomly although I have noticed its more over a bumpy surface.
    Its been doing this over the last few month but the cutting out only lasts for like a few seconds. There are still words on the HUD unit letting me know the radio/audio unit is on though.

It became its worse yesterday when my audio would just cut out for minutes at a time randomly (no bumps) but there's still words on the HUD unit saying the radio is on.

My car is a Gen 1 MPS3

2. Default

Does it cut out completely, or fade out like the volume is just dropping?

Also, CD or Radio function?

There might be a loose wire to the amplifier, or to a speaker somewhere that's shorting out the circuit... who knows. Get climbing behind the dash and see what you can find, also check the amp under the seat if a wire is crossing there.

Total cut out and both radio and CD. I'm not good with audio stuff hence my question. I'll have a look at the amp under the seat.

4. Default

Failing that, find and check the fuses...

Same thing happened to my mps6 when I bought it off a guy last year. Turned out he had aftermarket amp and speakers installed at some stage, and then reverted back to the stock Bose unit on selling the vehicle.

I had Mazda diagnose the problem, to which they found that the wire cable to the amp had been poorly spliced back together...so they recommended that I contact an audio car electrician.

Anyway, after discovering the awesomely expensive quote to have it fixed, I took it on myself solve the problem. I found that the sound would cut out if the wire cable was bent in a certain way (hence bumpy surfaces would stuff up the audio). I fixed it by re-positioning the cable until the sound would work again, and then taped it to secure its position. Cheap, I know, but it worked for me. Haven't had a problem since, i.e. several months/10,000+kms.

So perhaps the wire cable/amp connection is loose, or previously tampered with? Hope this helps.