User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pressure washer

1. Default Pressure washer

Hi all,

I'm after a decent pressure washer with the foam lance are the 1400kw washers fine for this?

I had one of the cheapies ~$100 gerni and it was fine, however you should get better foam from higher pressure ones, I would recommend something a little better than entry level model.

What's your budget?

My criteria for a "decent" pressure washer is one that has a metal pump as opposed to a plastic one. For Karcher, from memory, this starts at the K4 models onward. Gernie, I believe, have metal pumps even on their low-end 100 models.

I had a cheapie Karcher K2 entry model for a long time (until the plastic pump broke), and was able to use it quite happily with a foam lance from ZAS (ZAS Foam Lance - High Pressure)

So even the cheapies will work fine in that regard. The higher spec units with higher pressure will spit foam further, but unless you're looking to make a business out of detailing then you won't honestly care about the difference in that respect.

I would budget though for a separate foam lance like the ZAS one. Don't rely on any that come with the pressure washer. They're nowhere near as effective.
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

4. Default

yeah I think the gernie is a winner was at bunnings today and they had a few of the karcher units in the returns sections they have a gernie one with a foam lance and different nozzle for 140 which I think will do the job

Gerni 1400W Classic High Pressure Cleaner 105.1 - Bunnings Warehouse

5. Default

I was looking at the same one but got the 115.2 instead as they were on sale at Bunnings from $189 to $149 which is only $10 more.

6. Default

+1 gernie

7. Default

I've used Karcher before, decent brand, not as high-end as Gerni. For average cleaning, go with either at low spec. For better cleaning, go high spec Karcher, for great cleaning, go Gerni. For commercial grade, avoid both and go an industrial unit that's easily serviceable.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Teeth View Post
    I've used Karcher before, decent brand, not as high-end as Gerni.
    Hmmm I'd disagree with that. The midrange and up units ($700+) karcher and gerni are on level footing.

For low end the geni is better value.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Karcher have a reputation of internal leaks - plastic models. Mine developed one over the weekend.
    It hunts while on standby (turns on and off, and spews water out from the internals). Water pressure is obviously affected by this.

Unsure of my model off the top of my head, but it was around the $300 mark.

+1 for metal pumps.

Quote Originally Posted by DisturbedDave View Post
    Karcher have a reputation of internal leaks - plastic models. Mine developed one over the weekend.
    It hunts while on standby (turns on and off, and spews water out from the internals). Water pressure is obviously affected by this.

Unsure of my model off the top of my head, but it was around the $300 mark.

+1 for metal pumps.
    Sounds like was prob a K3.

I had the same issue with the $90 K2 I was using for a fair while. I got about a year and a half out of it before the plastic pump sprung an internal leak.

I replaced it with a "Medium" class K 5.700 with metal pump, in-built hose reel etc and it's been working a treat. You do pay a fair bit though. From memory mine was a bit over $700 (was a while ago now so I'm a little hazy about that figure, but that's what sticks in my head)

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Fiend View Post
    I had the same issue with the $90 K2 I was using for a fair while. I got about a year and a half out of it before the plastic pump sprung an internal leak.
    You wash cars though... and I don't mean your car when it needs it... You'd need a high-end pressure washer, at least one with internals that would work for a LONG time...

Me, on the other hand, let my car start to turn into dust before I wash it. I have a small pressure washer that is good for my cement paving, the odd window cleaning and that's about it. Will work for the brief amount of time I need it to work.
    3 MPS - Rolling on Pirelli PZero Neros, sitting on Bilstein B12's, stock internals... still makes me smile with the Zoom Zoom.

My Karcher leaked after 3 months

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Teeth View Post
    You wash cars though... and I don't mean your car when it needs it... You'd need a high-end pressure washer, at least one with internals that would work for a LONG time...

Me, on the other hand, let my car start to turn into dust before I wash it. I have a small pressure washer that is good for my cement paving, the odd window cleaning and that's about it. Will work for the brief amount of time I need it to work.
    Yep, which is why I suggested Gerni for low end

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

14. Default

For those who want a small pressure washer, no-name brand (GAF?). It's got an aluminium pump, low PSI compared to other named brands, but it's only $40 plus postage ($7.95 for VIC).

Looks like it could be worth a try for those who don't use one often.

CatchOfTheDay.com.au

I recently njust bought a karcher. Can't remember model but it was $270. It's mainly for the house and cars. Hope it doesn't leak on me.

Quote Originally Posted by KFuNk View Post
    I recently njust bought a karcher. Can't remember model but it was $270. It's mainly for the house and cars. Hope it doesn't leak on me.
    Bit of advice: Make sure when using it, you dont squeeze the trigger off and on in bursts.
    This isn't what I did, but doing some research on reasons why the plastic pump heads split, this is one way of prematurely ending your Karchers life.

I'm now in the market for a high pressure washer with alloy/brass head.
    Black Mica Gen2
    * Opti-Coat Paint Protection * Corksport SRI + TIP * SURE REM (Street Spec) * Resonator Delete * Shark-Fin Antenna *
    * Custom Vinyls by Muzza * LED Interior Upgrade *

I bought this cheap one for $70 delivered off eBay it's 2100 psi , it's almost a year n I use it once a week. Still going strong

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Fiend View Post
    Sounds like was prob a K3.

I replaced it with a "Medium" class K 5.700 with metal pump, in-built hose reel etc and it's been working a treat. You do pay a fair bit though. From memory mine was a bit over $700 (was a while ago now so I'm a little hazy about that figure, but that's what sticks in my head)
    In the market for a new pressure washer now, n just came to realize, even the K5.800 is now still only a plastic pump. Might start looking at different brands, I'm not going through that drama again..
    Black Mica Gen2
    * Opti-Coat Paint Protection * Corksport SRI + TIP * SURE REM (Street Spec) * Resonator Delete * Shark-Fin Antenna *
    * Custom Vinyls by Muzza * LED Interior Upgrade *

This time I bought gerni just bcoz it has metal pump. Spent way too much money buying cheap ones off eBay n ALDI. There pumps start leaking after a while

I'm considering either B.A.R or Gerni, not sure yet.... More research to do before dropping $600-700 on one

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast