User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Waxing After Opticoat

Default Waxing After Opticoat

Hey gang, Well after all the rain in Brisbane recently the car has got a fair hammering. So far, the opticoat recently applied has held up ok but the lovely tight water beading I've been getting during regular washes is slowly starting to disappear. Just wondering the best way to maintain the protection correctly and was wondering if waxing was the key or if this is taboo now I that I have the opti-coat applied... Thanks Bob

I'm sure @Caffeine Fiend or @ZAS would have a heavier input into this, but from what I've learnt, going over it with Amigo will remove light imperfections.
    It is also best to use a top-up wax applicant like Optimum Car Wax or Opti-Seal will help keep the tight beading.

I believe Dan recommended not using amigo for 6 months after opticoat is applied, I have read Optimum Poli seal is the recommended product for removing marks and not harming the opticoat but I have not used this, Im assuming its optimum's comparison to Amigo.
    No issues applying a nice wax over the opticoat, is what I do to add protection, shine and gloss.
    Last edited by dazza; 08-03-2013 at 10:28 AM.

I wanted to know same answer so I googled a few forums..

Response from Chris@Optimum.

Opti Seal, Optimum Car Wax, and Optimum Instant Detailer can certainly be added to "amp up" the glow and improve the "slick feel" that many of you desire.

But, one of the attributes of Opti Coat is that not much will stick to it. That makes cleaning a snap, but also decreases the life of any toppers you may want to try.

As you are all aware, unless a wax is a hybrid, it just sits on the surface anyway and can melt off in the heat whether coated or not. This is the same effect that topping Opti Coat will have with not only waxes, but sealants and hybrids as well.

I am not saying that it will fall off in a few days and I am not saying that it will come off as soon as it is washed once, but I am saying that an 8 month sealant may only last a month on an Opti Coated vehicle.

Also, I personally haven't seen a wax allow such spectacular beading that just blows right off with a blower like Opti Coat...and I'm certain that topping Opti Coat will lessen this attribute. So...if you MUST top, I recommend a quick, easy, and cheap product that you won't feel bad applying since it will be gone in a short time.

Gee some really sound advice there guys. Thanks for taking the time to give me an insight on this.. So general consensus seems to suggest there won't be a problem applying a wax providing the opti-coat has been on the car for a few months. The paint is still holding up very well due to some careful detailing technics, so no swirling or water marks to speak of. So no need for the amigo but will definitely think about pulling out the optimum car wax I purchased from Zas a while ago. All I need now is a sunny week-end!
    Last edited by LRRH; 08-03-2013 at 01:06 PM.
    2XS RACING $ CORKSPORT $ MAGNAFLOW $ ​UNSURE MOTORSPORTS $ COBB $ INJEN $ FULCRUM $ FEDERAL TYRES $ VISUAL GARAGE $ ADVANCED PERFORMANCE CENTRE $ B C M $ NGK $ STRATIFIED $ AUTOTECH $ DBA $ REMSA $ DGR $ MORIMOTO $ JBR $ FUSION

@SlowMPS sums it up pretty well

The durability of any wax or sealant placed on top of the Opti-Coat will be drastically reduced when compared to placing it on top of a regular bare paint surface. As mentioned above, the properties of Opti-Coat are such that it is designed to be hydrophobic and shirk off anything trying to stick to it. Including waxes and sealants.

Personally I wouldn't bother with a wax or sealant on an Opti-Coated surface. As Chris says above, a wax or sealant can effectively hamper Opti-Coat doing its job. Something I've also seen first hand.

What I recommend to people is a light spritz of Optimum Instant Detailer and Gloss Enhancer while drying the car after washing. This acts both as a lubricant while you're drying the car, and also helps add some nice slickness to the Opti-Coat. It's a great product. Highly recommend.

http://www.zas.com.au/product/427/op...cer_504ml.html

With regard to Amigo, it is an excellent product to use as a paint cleaner on Opti-Coat.....HOWEVER..... I would not be using it for at least SIX months after Opti-Coat is applied. And even then only use it by hand (not by machine polishing).

Amigo does contain some very very light abrasives as its paint cleaning component, so caution needs to be exercised when using it on any coated surface.

The reality though is that as long as the car is properly cared for (ie washed fairly regularly and dried correctly), then Amigo shouldn't necessarily have to be used. Certainly it shouldn't need to be used more than once a year or so.
    Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 08-03-2013 at 04:23 PM.
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

I been using Finish Kare Detailer when drying my car and its awesome. Smells nice too!

http://www.zas.com.au/product/327/fi...iler_3.8l.html

Like a Boss!

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Fiend View Post
    @SlowMPS sums it up pretty well

The durability of any wax or sealant placed on top of the Opti-Coat will be drastically reduced when compared to placing it on top of a regular bare paint surface. As mentioned above, the properties of Opti-Coat are such that it is designed to be hydrophobic and shirk off anything trying to stick to it. Including waxes and sealants.

Personally I wouldn't bother with a wax or sealant on an Opti-Coated surface. As Chris says above, a wax or sealant can effectively hamper Opti-Coat doing its job. Something I've also seen first hand.

What I recommend to people is a light spritz of Optimum Instant Detailer and Gloss Enhancer while drying the car after washing. This acts both as a lubricant while you're drying the car, and also helps add some nice slickness to the Opti-Coat. It's a great product. Highly recommend.

http://www.zas.com.au/product/427/op...cer_504ml.html

With regard to Amigo, it is an excellent product to use as a paint cleaner on Opti-Coat.....HOWEVER..... I would not be using it for at least SIX months after Opti-Coat is applied. And even then only use it by hand (not by machine polishing).

Amigo does contain some very very light abrasives as its paint cleaning component, so caution needs to be exercised when using it on any coated surface.

The reality though is that as long as the car is properly cared for (ie washed fairly regularly and dried correctly), then Amigo shouldn't necessarily have to be used. Certainly it shouldn't need to be used more than once a year or so.
    Good reminder... I ran out long ago of the detailer... About time I showed some love to the old bugger.

Sent from Samsung Note 2 LTE
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

Bob, using a good carnuba like Swissvax, Pinnacle Souveran , Migliore etc will not keep beading unless they are applied at least once a month. If you want to top up with a carnuba post opticoat, then maybe the Wolfgang fuzion might be the go. It will last alot longer, because its like a wax/sealant paste.
    It may be worth topping it up once a month or so, as this will keep the paint looking clean.

You don't need a wax on top of Opti-Coat for beading or keeping the paint looking clean. Opti-Coat is more than capable of doing that on its own. Actually it's more effective in those departments than most waxes. It's what its designed to do.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 10-03-2013 at 02:30 PM.

Eerr, then why has Bob have a problem then? All lsp have a life span. This is sealants , waxes and opticoat.
    It would be incorrect to assume that even opticoat wouldn't benefit from a coat of carnauba , both for longevity and depth of shine.
    A
    bit in the same way a sealant would benefit from a layer of carnauba.

Quote Originally Posted by albii View Post
    Eerr, then why has Bob have a problem then? All lsp have a life span. This is sealants , waxes and opticoat.
    It would be incorrect to assume that even opticoat wouldn't benefit from a coat of carnauba , both for longevity and depth of shine.
    A
    bit in the same way a sealant would benefit from a layer of carnauba.
    Opti-Coat is NOT an LSP. It is a ceramic polymer permanent coating. It does NOT dissipate like a sealant or a wax and to suggest otherwise is simply incorrect.

The only way to remove Opti-Coat is abrasive polishing.

It is ABSOLUTELY correct that Opti-Coat WOULDN'T in fact benefit from a coat of wax. As I said above and as has also been quoted by Chris Thomas of Optimum Polymer Technologies, waxes and sealant of top of Opti-Coat can and do hamper Opti-Coat's hydrophobic abilities.

But it's cute that you want to argue on this......
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Seems there's another way to remove the famous opticoat apart from abrasive polishing... 3 weeks of brissy rain will do it..;-)
    i will let the fanboys have their fun, and sit here and pretend I know nothing.

Too cute indeed...

The contact angle on Opti-Coat doesn't change. We actually have lab results from CSIRO that demonstrate this. If you are seeing a slow reduction in the water beading effect then it suggests something is hindering the coating from doing it's job. Basically it's like a light bulb. Opti-Coat is either on or off. There is no slow reduction or life span.

We actually recommend against waxing, for the reason like Chris from OPT said. It can (and will) hinder the performance of Opti-Coat. A quick detail spray is all you need.

1. A wax won't add any protection. Opti-Coat protects far better than any wax can offer.
    2. A wax won't extend durability. Quite the opposite. It will give the appearance that the Opti-Coat is failing
    3. It's true that a wax can add a little somethin' somethin' to the finish, but Optimum Instant Detailer or other quick detailers will blow this away as well and not do any harm.

Follow these directions and this is what Opti-Coat looks like after more than a year:

Oh and you say it's not a lsp, but don't recommend putting anything over it... Riiiiiiiiigggghhhttt.

Yeah. That's what he is saying
    You're point is...?

Quote Originally Posted by albii View Post
    Seems there's another way to remove the famous opticoat apart from abrasive polishing... 3 weeks of brissy rain will do it..;-)
    i will let the fanboys have their fun, and sit here and pretend I know nothing.
    Apparently you don't need to pretend. Either that or you're a terrific actor because your lack of knowledge and baseless assumptions are in fact world class.

You say three weeks of Brisbane rain will remove Opti-Coat? Well apparently the CSIRO must be "fanboys" also because they too disagree.

http://www.optimumcarcare.com.au/XC3...ingTesting.pdf

Opti-Coat was tested for chemical resistance using concentrated (100%) Hydrochloric and Phosphoric Acid, and also Ethanol. All of which had no effect on the coating.

Opti-Coat was also tested for scratch resistance. The test used in Australia by CSIRO is quite different to the standard pencil testing we see used. Pencil test reports up to a maximum of 9H at loads of 500g and 1000g. The scratch resistance test by CSIRO uses a tungsten carbide needle (9.5H on Mohs Scale) and loads up to 2000g. This type of test give a far higher upper limit on the coatings being tested.

Opti-Coat resisted loads up to 1100g of the tungsten carbide needle. Translated to what everyone is used to, this result is well above a 1000g 9H pencil test

It's not being a "fanboy" when you have certified results from testing such as this. It's called being correct

Wow , talk about passionate.... Settle down, we don't all think like you, and no one is dissing the product. It obviously has its positives, and I can see the negatives. I don't care about the csiro. Different product combos and paint differences for different cars. Just because you're a fan, doesn't mean everyone is. Get over it, and don't get personal and be a keyboard warrior.. Grow up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast