User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Waxing After Opticoat

Quote Originally Posted by albii View Post
    Wow , talk about passionate.... Settle down, we don't all think like you, and no one is dissing the product. It obviously has its positives, and I can see the negatives. I don't care about the csiro. Different product combos and paint differences for different cars. Just because you're a fan, doesn't mean everyone is. Get over it, and don't get personal and be a keyboard warrior.. Grow up.
    I'm not being a keyboard warrior. I am correcting your baseless assumptions.

And you are dissing the product. Your comment above of the "famous" Opti-Coat is clearly disrespectful.

If you don't care about the scientific evidence then you have no place arguing the benefits and detractors of any coating.

It has nothing to do with different product combos or different paints either.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Wow , talk about passionate.... Settle down, we don't all think like you, and no one is dissing the product. It obviously has its positives, and I can see the negatives. I don't care about the csiro. Different product combos and paint differences for different cars. Just because you're a fan, doesn't mean everyone is. Get over it, and don't get personal and be a keyboard warrior.. Grow up.
    Difference is he isn't giving his opinion, nor being passionate
    Just like water is wet and fire is hot He is stating the proven facts

When you get some proven facts, you too can be critical of others statements

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

Oh and you say it's not a lsp, but don't recommend putting anything over it... Riiiiiiiiigggghhhttt.
    The term LSP (Last Step Product/Protectant), in reference to this discussion, was coined by Mike Phillips back in the 90s to describe coating over paint with a "sacrificial barrier"

This is why permanent coatings such as Opti-Coat are not traditionally referred to as LSPs. They are not sacrificial and do not dissipate over time like a sealant or wax.

LSP - The Definition and the story behind the term - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum
    Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 10-03-2013 at 07:57 PM.
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Lawyered! Like a Boss!
    Lol sorry getting a little MSF over here

Ummm, for the record I thank everyone for their opinions and value the info I've received, maybe it's time to shut this thread down now because my intention was just that....not to start a pissing contest.

Sorry Bob. Didn't mean to derail your thread. I just don't like mis-informed opinion.

My advice would be to add a little APC into your wash bucket when next washing. As Joel suggests it sounds like something has settled on the Opti-Coat and, while it will probably shed it of its own accord after a few washes, you can accelerate it by incorporating stronger chemicals such as APC into your wash. Unlike sealants or waxes Opti-Coat actually revels in this sort of thing.

I was one of the first uses of Opti-Coat, back in 2010?? Anyway, my local Opti-Coat man says I might want to come back in another year for a touch up, if i wanted. I'm not an expert, but it's done very well on my car.

P. S. I hate the term fanboy...

It's a good discussion, thanks for the input guys.

Sent from Samsung Note 2 LTE

For the record...I have never called into question the quality of opti-coat itself (refer opening post). It's certainly a level above anything I've ever had applied as a protectant on any car I've owned. I simply wanted advice on how to maintain the beading on the duco as 1 panel in particular no longer carries this characteristic. If waxing is the incorrect solution I thank you Dan @Caffeine Fiend for clarifying this. I'll have a crack at some APC when I next wash the car and hopefully this will remove any contaminates @albii thanks for contributing to the thread and I appreciate you taking some time to offer an opinion. @Yeldarb....over 2 years since the treatment and still going strong?? I like the sound of that, goes to show that quality can equate to value!
    2XS RACING $ CORKSPORT $ MAGNAFLOW $ ​UNSURE MOTORSPORTS $ COBB $ INJEN $ FULCRUM $ FEDERAL TYRES $ VISUAL GARAGE $ ADVANCED PERFORMANCE CENTRE $ B C M $ NGK $ STRATIFIED $ AUTOTECH $ DBA $ REMSA $ DGR $ MORIMOTO $ JBR $ FUSION

No probs Bob. Is the panel in question your bonnet by any chance?

Weird...cause it's actually the hatch back

Not really... If contaminants really do affect the working of OC, then I know that the rear hatch cops a fair bit of grime. Especially off the exhausts.

Well I do have regular bursts of black smoke shooting out of the exhaust..i think @SarcasticOne can attest to this...I think the word plume was used at one point during my drive to the Gold Coast at Christmas time
    Last edited by LRRH; 11-03-2013 at 01:37 PM.

Bob, turbo-charged cars in general throw out more exhaust crap than N/A cars. The design of the 3 MPS and aerodynamics means that much of it wants to attach itself to the rear hatch. It's just a fact of life.

The Opti-Coat is more than capable of shedding it. It may take a wash or two to get rid of it completely is there is a large amount of build up.

The same was reported by the owner of the GTR I Opti-Coated after an enthusiastic few days driving around Tassie.

Dan's Garage - R35 Nissan GTR - Solid Black - Opti-Coat (Collaboration with Domino) - Page 6

It's worth noting that this car is twin turbo, heavily modified, normally runs on E85 and has no Cats. For this weekend he was running a 98 RON tune due to issues with finding regular supply of E85 on the island. There's not much on the road that will be a greater test for a coating in terms of exhaust gasses than this car.

The coating returned back to normal after a couple of washes. The bug markings on the front also completely dissipated. I saw this car a couple of weeks ago and it looked as good as the day I finished detailing it. Trust the coating, use stronger wash chemicals if necessary, and it will shed this sort of stuff.

Awesome thanks Dan, always good to hear a logical explanation and it's so handy having someone like you on the forum to help with a resolution. I'm also glad to hear that you've had a similar instance of this in the past...at least I know i'm not imagining this problem . All in All the car still looks a million bucks so my attention to keep it this way is more important then ever before. Thanks again mate!

Dan, which APC do you use???
    During my 3 weeks holidays, i seem to have some fine contaminants stuck to the bonnet area

No probs Bob. Happy to help. If you're really concerned I'm sure Kim won't mind dropping by at some point to have an in person look at it, but it's up to you whether you want to give him a buzz.

Re APC I use Optimum Power Clean diluted 1:1 with water for external use

http://www.zas.com.au/product/517/op...ner_512ml.html

Even diluted it normally copes very well with baked on bugs, build-up on exhaust pipes etc. but it could also be used neat on an Opti-Coated surface with no issue whatsoever.

Good bang for buck product.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Haven't washed my car by hand in nearly 4 weeks. Just gave in a quick 7min spray in one of those "do-it-yourself" places (no brush, relax @Caffeine Fiend ) and I know why I love Opti-Coat. Still beading like a MF!!

You can tell my front bar needs the a re-application due to it being recently resprayed

Peter "SLIXX"

Currently RaydTuned

Awesome Pete.. your car even goes upside-down :-) Have you used the opti instant detailer?

I'm sold on Opticoat.. getting mine done soon @Caffiene Fiend.

Default Waxing After Opticoat

Quote Originally Posted by tims View Post
    Awesome Pete.. your car even goes upside-down :-) Have you used the opti instant detailer?

I'm sold on Opticoat.. getting mine done soon @Caffiene Fiend.
    Huh. The pics come up fine on my end!

I'm yet to order it. But I know I must @ZAS look out for my order!!

Peter "SLIXX"

Currently RaydTuned

Now that's quick
    You're awesome @ZAS

Peter "SLIXX"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast