User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BMW 335i Sport a replacment for 6MPS?

Default BMW 335i Sport a replacment for 6MPS?

Haven't played in the sand-pit for while as my 6MPS has been tricked up to my liking and without any new 6MPS from Mazda things are on a slow slide as cars age and owners switch out. But I have need of some informed wisdom from fellow 6MPS owners: Would you consider the BMW 335i Sport a worthy replacement?

My 6MPS is now 7 years old and by the time it is 10yo it will have done >200,000km. Then the chances of expensive repairs will be increasing so I am thinking, what cars are available now, such that in 3- 4 years time they will be in the $40,000 - $50,000 range AND be a suitable alternative to the mighty 6MPS?

Does the BMW meet this challenge? I will mourn the loss of 4WD but it seems to have the right stuff: New BMW 335i Sport: review | carsguide.com.au
    Cheers,

Scienceman

(rerum novarum cupidus - remain unbiased and curious)

2. Default

Look at the new F30 328i.

180kw, 8-spd auto, around canberra the old man gets around 8-9L/100, drops down to about 6-7 on the highway. Lighter than the E90, pokier, and IMO looks nicer too. They'll drop to 40-50k within a year or two I reckon. (68-70k new)

A45 amg!
    Or... You can pick up a 135i pretty cheap 2nd hand aswell

Alternatively, overhaul the engine of your 6 MPS and slap a phat turbo on and have an absolute monster!

4. Default

M135i's will drop, there's no aesthetic in them, and minimal tuning can be done outside of maybe 270kw

Neg to all of the above. I'd be waiting for insignia opc.

240kw V6 twin turbo and awd in and around 60k I believe

http://www.caradvice.com.au/213369/o...ia-opc-review/
    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

The MPS might return yet... Mazda6 MPS: mid-size performance flagship could return |Â*CarAdvice

Otherwise I'd have to agree on the Insignia, looks fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post

2013 Opel Insignia OPC Review |Â*CarAdvice
    I'm gonna be all over this one as well!!
    2XS RACING $ CORKSPORT $ MAGNAFLOW $ ​UNSURE MOTORSPORTS $ COBB $ INJEN $ FULCRUM $ FEDERAL TYRES $ VISUAL GARAGE $ ADVANCED PERFORMANCE CENTRE $ B C M $ NGK $ STRATIFIED $ AUTOTECH $ DBA $ REMSA $ DGR $ MORIMOTO $ JBR $ FUSION

There is little to no chance that the 6 MPS will return.
    I don't even hold much hope for the 3 MPS in the future

I hope to be proven wrong, but I doubt it

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    There is little to no chance that the 6 MPS will return.
    I don't even hold much hope for the 3 MPS in the future

I hope to be proven wrong, but I doubt it
    Actually the Gen 3 MPS has been confirmed.

and that insignia sounds good on paper... but how does it only have a 6.3s 0-100 time?? plus it says no manual option???

http://www.caradvice.com.au/213369/o...ia-opc-review/
    This, that is what I am waiting for now.

Sent from my SGS3 4G

Quote Originally Posted by rayd View Post

and that insignia sounds good on paper... but how does it only have a 6.3s 0-100 time?? plus it says no manual option???
    It weighs 1800kg, that's why it is slow.

If it weighed 1600 like a MPS6...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2011 Mazda 3 MPS

Uhh isn't the mps 6 quoted at 6.5?

Uhh isn't the mps 6 quoted at 6.5?

14. Default

No manual.

Priced in the 60's, is a nice package but the centre console is a real shocker.

Had a nitpick on the inside and it's not a bad beast.

I agree that the MPS 6 is getting long in the tooth and I also looked at changing from my MPS6 to a Bimmer 335i. My conclusions:

BMW is:
    - Galactically overpriced at around $130,000 by the time you get the options you reasonably want - nothing silly.
    - Not AWD
    - Corners well but the trade-off is that it rides like a board, especially on stock run-flats.
    - Service costs through the roof.
    - Prone to catastrophic radiator failure in relatively early life - a noted characteristic.
    - Great engine and performance is OK, but not $80,000 worth better than the MPS6 in a straight line.
    - Way smaller inside. Quite simply, I find it hard to fit inside one.
    - Fit and finish is not outstanding which makes its local pricing seem even more of a gouge.
    - Best Bimmer is the 3.0 TT diesel - it has great pull and economy.

I also looked at anything else in AWD and better than 200Kw.
    - Audi S4 a stupid $147,000 with everything expensively optional.
    - Volvo RDesign S6 nice but limited back headroom room, no spare, quirky instruments, nice engine.
    - VW R36 - hard to get, costly and not known for reliability

I'm looking at a Range Rover Sport in TT 3.0 diesel now, instead. I remain concerned by Landrover's dreadfully low reliability record, however. It came out bottom of a list of most known manufacturers with 233 problems/100 vehicles. Lexus was number 1 with 71 issues/00 vehicles. Next were Porsche with 94, Lincoln and Toyota tied with 112 issues, Merc with 115 issues/100 cars, while Bimmer was 17th in the list with 133 issues/100 cars, way behind Honda, Mazda and Suzuki all better than industry average of 126 issues/100 cars. In fact, if I was going for a Bimmer I'd save money and get a Lexus SF350 or GS350 now.

Slim pickins out there in AWD +200Kw land!
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

BMW is nothing more than a German Holden Commodore.
    But people are blinded by the badge and the "its more expensive so it must be better" mentality.
    My Uncle bought a new 330i years ago. He has absolutely no knowledge of cars. Yet he was picking serious faults. Took it back to the dealer, they supplied 4 pages of problems and replaced his car.
    This happend 4 times.

They aren't a bad car, the good ones are really good, but thanks to the government making a fortune from every sale, they aren't what i'd consider good value.

You seem to have encounted the problem most 6 owners have.
    They are a very good car, highly under-rated and excellent value. And there aren't many cars (if any) like it

That's 5.98 seconds for 0-60mph - 0-100km/h is 0-62mph. Official Mazda claims for Australian spec cars were 0-100km/h in 6.6 seconds.

It's probably the European model, judging by the use of the MPS name and power output (256bhp which with rounding converts to 191kW - the Euro spec)
    Last edited by andy b; 06-03-2013 at 02:40 PM.

get an e92 335i, second hand you can get one with about 40,000km for about $45-$50k (gotta wait on carsales for a month or two as the ones that come up go pretty quick)

i was looking at buying one myself.. i really like them.

driving it and just sitting in it is noticeably nicer than many other cars. plus the tuning potential, and obviously much nicer design (subjective, but many agree)

full price - not great value - but second hand they are great value i think.

sure you could get something asian for less.. but most of those cars are ugly (let's be honest - especially the interiors)

i know plenty of people will be like 'but i can get 20 extra kw for $5k less than this euro-trash', and i'm sure you're right, but if you're anything like me, styling is just as important as performance.. so it becomes worth the premium..

so sexy..

BMW 3 Series 335i on 20" Vossen VVS-CV3 Concave Wheels / Rims - YouTube

M135i wagon FTW!
    neighbour just bought one in black 7 or 8 speed auto with paddle shift.... is faster than any standard car i've been in!!

The Insignia is very very heavy, much more than the 6MPS hence the average 0-100 time - hang on 6.3 secs is actually good

My neighbour has a 335i F30 and it's exceptionally good, though pricier than the Insginia.

Mk VII Golf R out soon, Audi S3 with same platform etc out now -both have manual options available, or maybe Audi S3 sedan - soon perhaps??

Good hunting Scienceman!
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast