User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BMW 335i Sport a replacment for 6MPS?

1. Default

BMW is always a worthy competitor in every part of the market. I am forever caught between Mazda and BMW. Technologically, BMW are always ahead of just about everyone. They are pricey here and of course a BMW out of motorplan makes the bank balance tremble.

The 335/135 I would consider an upgrade to an MPS. Forget the 4WD – BMW has all the tech needed to cope against 4WD competition. The BM`s are generally quicker off the line and after 3rd gear you will feel the beast that a 335/135 is. Software or chip pushes this car to 280kw and 580Nm – with no added mods.

I have a friend nearing the 350kw mark in his single turbo 135. His car is a beast of note.

I wouldn’t mind a 4 dr version of the 335 myself
    Last edited by Macaveli; 24-04-2013 at 10:41 AM.

My brother in law has a 1M Coupe.

Holy crap. First time I drove it and took off from the lights it scared the hell out of me!!

Peter "SLIXX"

I looked at the Bimmer 335 in various guises and believe it is grossly overpriced and while it has more bells and whistles (for optional extra prices) I still think the assembly isn't as good as one would hope for a car heading upwards of $130K. They are way smaller inside than the MPS6 too, and lack AWD, but are almost the same weight due mainly to additional soundproofing and extra kit, notwithstanding the smaller size. Mazda has bigger brakes and stops better too. I'd rather have an MPS 6 and save myself >$60-80K for some other purpose. But obviously as the MPS ages and is seeming unlikely to be replaced, I've been looking at a few alternatives too. I've covered them in previous posts, VW, Audi S & RS4 & 5 (ouch pricing), Volvo, Mercedes, etc....

Today's news is that Volvo are planning on bringing in a limited number of Polestar S60 R-Designs in, with a 3.0 litre turbo V6 of around 240-270Kw, with upgraded suspension and Haldex AWD, expected to be upwards of $100K, but could still be under, depending on options and taxes. See: http://www.caradvice.com.au/166210/v...-in-australia/ I saw 0-100kmh quoted in one article at 4.9s but the more common figure quoted seems to be 5.8s. Still no slouch. I've driven the stock S60 R-Design and it drives beautifully, but I wasn't keen on the instrumentation.

I'd also consider a new Lexus GS300h or the SF350 for the best build quality and reliability going. The 350 is as quick as the MPS6 but is only RWD if that matters to you.

For less than the price of a new or S/H Bimmer 335, I've concluded I'd buy a new or S/H Range Rover Sport in 3.0 sequential turbo diesel. For now I'll keep my MPS6 and my 80 Series Landcruiser which, despite it being 15 years old now, remains the most reliable car I've ever owned. I'll wait for the new (~400kg less) lightened RR before I make a move. Landrover reliablilty remains a perennial issue but has improved greatly over the last few years since Tata Motors took over the helm.
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 24-04-2013 at 06:21 PM.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12